Lines

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Kent DuFault 4 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Kent DuFault
    Participant

I went to the local lumberyard early one morning, and I saw this gentleman loading up his truck with wood. The light was interesting, as it dappled through the dense branches of a tree where the man was working- but full early morning sun hit the wall behind him. I had to shoot this very quickly, and I didn’t really even have a chance to look at the settings on the camera. What really interested me about the scene was the varying lines. In post-production, I used Topaz filters and Nik filters in an effort to minimize the aspect that this was a photograph of a guy carrying wood, and make it more of a semi-abstract about line and shape.

The camera was a Fujifilm X100. The ISO was 800. The exposure was 1/400 at f/2.8.

Lines.jpg by Kent DuFault on Light Stalking

Sylvain
    Participant

Works for me. Good balance of forms with door top right and shadow and guy bottom left and the wall balancing with the wood.

Not sure about the color though. But that’s obviously a question of preference.

Kent DuFault
      Participant

Thanks Irene. I experimented with various monochrome tones. I always tend to go toward warm tones. So, I tried to push myself in a different direction.

njk000
    Participant

I like what you have done, used you heart to make something… good job.
    Criticism – Loose 10% from the right, leaving the bottom right corner hanging..! xxxx

Kent DuFault
      Participant

So, when you say lose 10% from the right… I’m assuming you don’t like that upright bar from the fork lift? When you say, “leave the corner hanging” you are talking about the body of the fork lift? I experimented with cropping that bar out. In the end, I chose to leave it in because it created an “ending” point for the lines of the wood. Otherwise, it felt like they were just running off of the page.

I would be curious to hear what others think about cropping that upright bar, or not.

njk000
    Participant

You’ve got it. My point is to bring the shot into a more pleasing ratio and to give the black void an interest point without looking like you are framing the shot. If you have cropped some off the bottom already, I might be inclined to add it back and clone out the fork truck bits altogether, leaving a nice void.
    not – running off the page, but coming from nowhere. xx

Kent DuFault
      Participant

Thanks! I’ll take a look at that. Cheers.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Hi Kent. I like the color, it feels cold and early morningish. BTW, when we lived in Bemidji we considered St. Paul in the banana belt.

hippi
    Participant

well done and I really like how its framed
    keep going

Paulo Costa
    Participant

While one can argue that whatever physical element is at the right side of the frame, supports the wood instead of leaving it hanging, I think it doesn’t contribute anything valid to the image. Cropping it all out, including the dark area, would make the horizontal and diagonal lines dominate the frame, which if I understood correctly, was what caught your eye in the first place.
    I’m not a fan of the blueish duotone, and am curious as to what the original colours where. I don’t know whether it was possible to use some form of fill light in post-production, but the worker could have used some, as he’s standing in a shade area.
    But that is, of course, my view and its subjectiveness…

njk000
    Participant

A good shot always stimulates a lot of posts…… So you must be doing something right. Xx.

Kent DuFault
      Participant

LOL! Thank you sir! I also write short story fiction. I’ve noticed over the years that the more hate mail I get- the better I personally believe the story is- LOL…

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Hi Kent, Where do I find your book on composition?

Kent DuFault
      Participant

Hi Lenny,

Thanks for asking about the books. I wrote two books on composition. The first one is sort of a beginner’s guide to composition- it discusses some of the basic rules and principles, and gives assignments to help a beginner understand them. Then, I wrote an Advanced composition book. That one delves into some of the lesser known tools of composition, and it talks extensively about previsualization and the importance of timing. There are both here: http://photzy.com/marketplace/

Cheers!

Kent

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.