Macro Focus Stacking

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Rob Eyers
      Participant

I’m just starting to work on this type of photography. My second image has revealed a shortcoming in PS. It appears as though it isn’t up to the task when it comes to busy details. I’ve done some digging around and tried a few different programs for stacking and come up with what I think is a solution. The solution so far is ZERENE STACKER. It offers different methods of stacking and a way to retouch the results after the stacking is done.

If any of you have gone through this process and have found better solutions I’d appreciate any feedback you can offer. Below is an example of PS and Zerene as well as the whole image after using Zerene. The issues were all over the PS version and not just in this one spot.

Focus Stacked Flower

Robert Apple

I have been using Helicon Focus for several years now and  got no complaints, has all the features you mentioned and then some.

Rob Eyers
        Participant

Hi Robert. I tried that one and got some strange results around some of the edges. Maybe I just couldn’t figure out how to use it properly. I’ll see if I can dig up some videos on it before I make my final decision.

Patrick
          Participant

Hi Rob , i am unsure if you know Allan , i am sure he will have some info for you to have a look at , this is his youtube but he also has his own site .. He can be great laugh as well 😉

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3N1BvkmnYWqa3SSthhzReA

Rob Eyers
            Participant

Thanks a lot Robert. I wasn’t aware of Allan so I’m sure to learn something. Cheers

Graham Hart
            Participant

I watched a stitching and stacking video by Mr. Walls on youtube and I was blown away. 1300 and something separate images to capture a 6mm bug? That’s a ton of effort!

Robert Apple

The Pro version is definately an upgrade in quality and preformance, not sure what features the trial version may be missing.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Hi Rob, Helicon Focus is what I use too, though it’s been a while. I could do with dusting off my stacking gear ad doing some more!
      I think what you’ve done with Zerene Stacker is very good, definitely much better than the PS version.

• This reply was modified 5d, 14h ago by Tersha.
      John Thompson

I have not tried focus stacking in quite some time.  I have used Zerene in the past as well as PS.  When I use PS I do my own stacking and masking.

Rob Eyers
        Participant

I also do my own masks in PS John. Stacking is much easier if there are only a few as in landscapes but this macro think is another beast.

Robert Apple

I used to follow a fellow named Nigel Kiteley. I remember a video break down of one of his prize winning photos of a dragonfly that consisted of the stacking of 10000 plus images and over 30 hours processing time to get to the level of quality he desired. I have spent close to 10 hours perfecting one shot even with helicon. High resolution macro photography at extreme magnification is a deep rabbit hole.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author