Moonrise

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Walker 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Moonrise, Falcade, Dolomites (Italy)
    For more than 10 years we come every year twice in the Italian Dolomites and it never stops amazing me. Wow, I love it there.

Fujifilm X-T3, f/4, 19mm, Iso 3200, handheld.
    Please click for Flickr, bigger is better.
    Moonrise, Falcade Italian Dolomites

Graham Hart
    Participant

Wow I would love to go to a place like this. Definitely better clicked Erik. Great crop too! I’m interested to know your shutter speed also. There’s some noise but to be expected hand held in low light I guess?

Erik Fransman
      Participant

Thanks Graham. Shutter speed was 1/27th. SS was on auto since f/4 was my largest aperture and I did not want to go higher than 3200 ISO.
      If you ever have the possibility to go to the Dolomites, do it.

Steve Walker
    Participant

Good timing and wonderful location. With all your experience, why not use a tripod and multiple exposures blended to get the dim light on the peaks (as you have) but the moon’s details as well rather than the bright glow?

Erik Fransman
      Participant

Good point Steve, but I usually do not have a tripod with me. The one I have is too heavy to travel with. Anyway, most of my shooting is handheld.

However, I am thinking about investing in a Peak Design Travel Tripod. It is now on Kickstarter and looks great.

And it was really good timing for a handheld shot. It was right outside our hotel, so the next day I wanted to shoot it again with some different settings but without a tripod and the possibility of multiple exposures, it was already too dark at the mountains at the moment the moon appeared. Just one day difference.

Steve Walker
        Participant

Moonrise times do seem to change much more than sunrise/set times. One day can make a world of difference.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.