Morning Coffee

This topic contains 16 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Erik Fransman 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Working with the new camera body (Fujifilm X-T3) and new lens, Fujinon 56mm f/1.2.

Low ISO 80, 56mm, f/1.2 and shutter speed auto to adapt to the settings:1/950s.

Although she is drinking afternoon tea, it feels more like morning coffee, so I took the liberty to chose that as the title of the image.
    Please click for Flickr, Bigger:
    Morning Coffee

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Nothing much to critique Erik. Maybe a touch more headroom for me but that’s minor. Very nice b&w conversion and great detail from the new gear. I’m curious about where the halo/glow around the back of her head/hair came from. Fuji certainly is making some great equipment and in the hands of someone who knows what to do with it, it shows!

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Thank you Rob.

Just bear in mind, this is JPG. I do not have a raw converter for this camera yet. Should be available in a couple of weeks,

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Even more impressive Erik.

Mistyisle
    Participant

I really like it, Erik, but find the highlights very distracting.  If it were me I would clone from the one good window to use to make the others the same.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Eric, Your subject has plenty of contrast so I actually like the highlighted windows in the background.  However, I would darken the bright spot in the left foreground.

Federico Alegria
    Participant

This is a really good looking black and white image, and yes, I can feel the morning coffee mood for sure, thanks for sharing with us Mate.

Maybe the only thing I could suggest (for the future since this could be the original crop) is to remember to leave some space between the subject’s head and the edge of the frame. On this one, that particular composition makes her feel to cramped to the edge.

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

Hi Erik, I really like the image and like other members have said, the only suggestion I have is to have more headroom and some more room on the right 🙂

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Thank you all for the comments.

I agree with the headroom although, if I look at the image bigger, I actually like the very little headroom. (but it should be a hair more. Pun intended). Frederico, you are right, this is the original shot, no cropping.
    I cloned out the white spot Lenny, thx, and replaced the image on Flickr, so here it is again.

Below another version, which I also like but different.
    Morning Coffee

Click this one too for bigger, but not on Flickr.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Nice!

Albirder
    Participant

What I cannot figure out in the first picture is why there is a halo of light that effects the blinds lighting at the back of her head. It is distracting to me. Beyond that, this is a crisp, well composed picture with a nice dynamic range of light.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

I had the same question Diane. The same issue exists on the hair under her chin.

Erik Fransman
      Participant

Diane, Rob, it must be the blind behind her. I have no other explanation. It is not oversharpened (I did not sharpen it at all since it is JPG from the camera).

I am not so bothered by it. Sorry you are.

Rob Eyers
        Participant

Not bothered Erik…just curious.

chris pook
    Participant

For some reason the first two images did not show up.  The 3rd one did.

Very much worth waiting for.

My OCD doesnt’t like the piece of fence that is at 45 degrees in near left foreground, when all the other fence tops are vertical.  But it doesn’t detract unless you look for it.

I wouldn’t mention it but it’s the tank, and I had to find something to critique!

Erik Fransman
      Participant

Chris, Thanks. I do not know why it does not show anymore. But If you click on the photo anyway it will show in Flickr.

Rob, I do not get email notifications (at any post) and I have checked the box notify me….

Ha, I actually didn’t mind that @chrispook cos it points at her.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.