My very First IR Image

Latest Posts Photography Forums Landscape Photography My very First IR Image

This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  beth 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

John Thompson

This is going to take some time for me to get used to but here is a beginning.

Still struggling with WB in camera and then WB in PS.  I set WB in PS by converting images to DNG and then using DNG Profile editor to create a profile to use in LR and then edited in PS.  I have a copy of Nikon Capture NX2 coming that will allow me to set WB in post.

I am still playing with custom WB in camera.  I have one set up but I am experimenting.

Tersha
    Keymaster

Hey John, that’s pretty cool!
    I used to import mine to PS, then change colour channels, then to LR to finish off. I found the formula online, but I’ve lost it 🙁
    Also, you can get a LR preset. However, you seem to be doing alright!

John Thompson

I never use LR and had to fire it up to do this so I am learning that as well.  I think I know how to set WB in camera which is a start.  Use green grass as your gray card since anything that uses photosynthesis reflects almost all IR light waves (which is white).

I have only begun with PS processing once I have a base image to work with.  I know about red/blue channel swap and that is just about it.  It is a bit overwhelming at first since I must learn LR as well but I think I will get there.  I have some ideas on how desert images might look in IR so I have an idea of what to work towards.

Tersha
      Keymaster

John, have you looked at Life Pixel? (Maybe that’s where you got your camera converted). Anyway, if you haven’t it’s worth looking, as they give details how to convert the raw IR image.

John Thompson

Hi Tersha that is where I had my camera done and yes I have viewed the videos.  Thank you for the heads up.

Tersha
          Keymaster

I saw your other post sometime after I’d written this. 🙂

beth
    Participant

A long time ago I owned an ir converted 350d.  I used grass to set the wb like you said.  If I remember correctly the temperature was around  2000k which was much lower than I could set it in lr at the time.  It would import into lr with the correct wb but I couldn’t change it after the fact.

John Thompson

That is where DNG  Profile editor comes in.  Use Color Matrix tab to help with the white balance and save that to a color profile and then import it into LR.  You have much more to play with that way.  If not it is pegged at 2000 K and you cannot go any lower.

beth
        Participant

that wasn’t around (or i hadn’t learned it) when i had my ir camera.  i think i was still in college so around 2006-7ish?  i think my camera was around 630nm, so the 2000 k was good enough for my images.  i just set it and left it.

we’ve got a drone at work that shoots ir.  i haven’t been able to play with that one because it’s got a lot of other stuff on it too, but one of the officers who was trained on it said it’ll turn soda and some synthetic fabrics clear.

i’ve also watched the ir camera on the chopper when it looks for marijuana fields, that’s pretty cool to watch.  those funny little herbs glow like crazy in ir.

Robert Apple

That is pretty cool John.

John Thompson

Thanks Robert.  Just the beginning I hope.

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

Wow! This is so dreamy John. Love it so much. The blue and pink go well together 🙂
    Just curious – did you convert a colour image to IR or did you use an IR converted camera?

John Thompson

I had a camera converted Dahlia.  It is a Nikon D300.  I thought if I was going to do this then I should do it right.  It is something I have been planning for about 6 months.  First the camera, etc.  I hope I do not get frustrated.

Dahlia Ambrose
        Keymaster

Aww, thank you for that John. Loving the IR images you have posted and look forward to more of them 🙂

Dorothy
    Participant

John: This is pretty cool! Talk about seeing things in a whole different light! (honestly, with no pun intended)

i learn so much here it can be mind boggling.  i may not get into this any time soon but i won’t forget it.  would love to see what everyone else has done with IR, how about doing a throwdown?

John Thompson

Good idea Dorothy!  Let me collect a few more pics and we shall see what others have to offer.

Lynne Guenther
    Participant

You should start an IR throwdown!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.