New Forum Design: Please post bugs!

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat New Forum Design: Please post bugs!

• This topic has 43 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 9h ago by MarkBiz.
Viewing 28 reply threads
  • Author
      3pco
      Participant

If this is the new format, I like the clean look, but I really miss seeing the name of the person who started the post.

Patrick
      Participant

Love the NEW LOOK ,  noticed same with NAME of last poster .. personally the front page looks fantastic with all the Categories and articles , layout is fresh looking too , still need to get use to a few bits , font size is a little smaller and replying will take a few goes to get the correct reply going to the right person … i tried a moment ago but it posted below were i intended 😉 all good will work it out.

Thanks for the work all.

• This reply was modified 2wk, 4d ago by Patrick.
        beth
        Participant

i’m really starting to miss this feature too.

beth
      Participant

it’s easier to read.

only issue i’ve noticed is that the notifications on the right side of the screen don’t disappear when you read the reply.

beth
      Participant

also, replying to someone puts  your response down at the bottom of the thread now instead of under their post.  not necessarily an issue, but definitely different than the previous user experience.

Jim Collins
      Participant

Well, change is constant. I guess this is now the “new normal” to steal a phrase that is already an overused cliche. I agree with above comments. I do like the layout of the home page now. When it comes to the forum posts – I miss seeing which forum a post is part of in the menu listing. Have to now click on a post to determine. However, this is pretty nit-picky.

Jim Collins
      Participant

One other small thing. There is a popout, at least on my screen, in the lower right hand corner that says “ERROR for site owner: Invalid domain for site key.” This seems to be something to do with Captcha setup.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Wow, this format is so much faster for me, everything is visible almost instantly, normally I give up waiting to see some photos. 🙂

Still sorting out the Gremlins, folks.

@3pco I just updated your title so we can have a single thread for people to post bugs or anything they find that is a bit unusual.

Stumblerum R
      Participant

Just testing it all out 🙂

LeanneC
      Participant

It is nice and fast – that is the first thing I noticed. Is this still Word Press, Rob? Love the look. Very clean.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

I like this new look as well. Thumbs up to those taking the time to do this. I too have the “error for site owner” tag. Bothersome on my phone. Not so much on the desk top. To reply I’m using the work around someone came up with a while back. Hit reply. Wait for comment box to pop up at bottom of page. Scroll back to message you want to reply to and click reply again.

beth
      Participant

thank you @admin, @jasenkag & @melody for all of the hard work you’ve done to update the site.  site updates & maintenance and gremlin squashing are some of the reasons why lightstalking is still growing while many other forums are dying.

Federico Alegria
      Participant

I love it! Feel like getting a bit addicted to it though 😀
      Nice work folks @admin, @jasenkag & @melody

Jim Collins
      Participant

Looks like the “error for site owner” bug has been fixed. Outstanding! Thank you for the great work you’re doing @admin.

beth
      Participant

@admin @jasenkag @melody – hitting the reply button to someone once takes me back up to the top of the page and then scrolls down to a reply box.  and then it puts the reply at the bottom of the thread for me.

but if i hit reply, wait for the page to scroll all the way up, then back down and hit reply again to the same person (and wait for it to scroll up and down again) it’ll put the reply under their comment.

beth
        Participant

i hit the reply button once, waited for the ride to come to a complete stop and then hit the reply button again.  once the page stopped scrolling the reply box was under the right comment this time and now my reply will be nested and my ocd satisfied.

beth
      Participant

i hit the reply button on my previous post once.

• This reply was modified 2wk ago by beth.
      Bobbie
      Participant

Beth, you only had to hit “reply” once because it was the last post so it was supposed to go to the bottom of the page anyway.

I hope that whoever fixed the “wandering reply” problem the last time (a few months ago I think) managed to do it here also. It’s okay for someone who manages to go into the forum all the time but but I don’t and it’s very tedious and time consuming scrolling back and forth all the time. Unfortunately, because of this problem I find myself commenting on a lot fewer images.

Thanks moderators for all your work 🙂

beth
        Participant

example of a nested reply, which requires hitting reply twice.  this was answered after the post below.  if i only hit it once it would have ended up at the very bottom despite being a reply to you.

beth
      Participant

bobbie, if i hit reply once it goes to the bottom regardless of what i’m replying to.  if i hit it twice it nests.

Graham Hart
      Participant

I  have been absent for a while and was blown away when I logged on and saw the new look for the first time. Seems like most bugs have already been identified but the one thing I notice is the occasional lag or delay, especially when clicking on the Notifications window. Rather than taking you directly to your notification, it takes you to the top of the thread first, then there’s a pause for a few seconds, then it whizzes down to the relevant comment. OK once I worked out what was happening but before then I was a little confused.

Also, not having been present lately, I haven’t had too many notifications but when I have one telling me I have 2 comments, subsequent clicks on the links always take me back to the first one. The old system would go through them sequentially from memory?

Apart from all that, LS has become the goto place for anything photography-related for me…a sort of one-stop-shop for information, education, critique, how-to’s etc etc. Brilliant, and kudos to all involved in it’s creation and evolution. This humble tog is extremely grateful and as soon as I get regular daytime access to my computer back (hint hint wifey), I’ll be signing up for the monthly challenges.

Theoretically, that notifications link should work exactly the same. This change has only been a new skin.

And thank you for the complement – gotta admit I love hearing them. lol

beth
          Participant

it’s not working for me either.  same issue as rob, it keeps going to the same notification.

Graham Hart
            Participant

Today it just went to the top of the thread (first comment) and stopped there?

beth
      Participant

@admin @jasenkag i cleared out my cookies and cache.  i whitelisted the site on my adblocker and my proxy’s chrome extension.  no joy.

edit: it’s happening on multiple machines, all running chrome.  i’ll try another browser later.

• This reply was modified 1wk, 3d ago by beth.

@loki – You don’t happen to have the Loom plugin do you? Is a screen cast a possibility cos I just cannot figure this one out 🙁

beth
      Participant

@admin nope, i don’t use loom.  i use ad block plus and windscribe extensions on my home computer, nothing at work.  i’m using internet explorer to reply so we’ll see if this ends up nested or at the bottom.

Tobie

Agree about the new nice layout. Just a pity your reply gets added to the bottom of the page, specifically in throwdowns containing multiple images.

beth
        Participant

hit the reply button, wait for the scrolling to stop and then hit it a second time.  it’s doing it for me too.

Ninan John
      Participant

Not sure if this is a new bug – but I just posted a photo and the timestamp read 2:30 AM. Its 12:27 PM where I’m from actually. Timezone’s not considered?

I think it’s set to the server time zone. Which I think is either New York or LA.

Anne Hornsby
      Participant

How can I now make my comment appear under the photo on which I’m commenting?   That is, in the same chain of comments on specific photo instead of the bottom of  a much longer chain with multiple photos?   I’ve scrolled through here and don’t see the answer.

If I hit reply twice, my reply posts, and I get a message that my 2nd reply is a duplicate.

Thanks for help.  I agree with Bobbie – it makes me not want to comment much anymore.

beth
        Participant

@annehornsby @tobiepsg what browser are you two using?

i use chrome.  i’ve cleared all of the ls cookies (awprotools, doubleclick.net, fb, google, lightstalking.us), and set all of the permissions to allow.  and turned off all of my extensions.  i tried IE and still couldn’t get the reply to work correctly without hitting it twice.

when i cleared the cache and tried to reply it initially puts a reply box under the comment i’m replying to and then scrolls up to the top of the page and then back down to the bottom of the thread where there’s a reply box.

• This reply was modified 3d, 7h ago by beth.
      Tobie

Chrome @loki

Anne Hornsby
      Participant

@loki   Hi, Beth, I use Chrome.  I cleared my cache etc. like you suggested.  I’ll see where this comment lands when I hit “submit!”

beth
        Participant

clearing the cache didn’t work for me either.  hitting reply once, waiting for the scrolling to stop and hitting reply again gets my replies in the right spot.  just hitting it once or double clicking reply puts the reply at the bottom for me.

Anne Hornsby
      Participant

@loki   Beth, it worked!!    Just tried it in shark tank.   Thanks so much!!

beth
        Participant

glad to hear that.

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author