New York Hoodoo

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank New York Hoodoo

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  bucweeet 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

billyspad
    Blocked

Made with Photoshop

Kent DuFault
    Participant

That’s a very interesting and unusual picture. It’s not a style that we see here very often on Light Stalking. It’s so far into the creative that I’m not sure if there is an appropriate Shark Tank comment, at least for the technical. From a personal standpoint… I’m curious what your internal message to us (the viewers) was for this shot? Is she a practitioner of dark arts? Does she live in New York. Or, was this simply a creative exercise? Don’t get me wrong… I do like it.

Graham Hart
    Participant

I really like this billyspad. Serious art which I find utterly compelling. Consequently, I can only comment on my interpretation – right or wrong though it may be. I have never been to New York but I have visited that sense of despair when our world was forever changed for the worse.

A montage of colour, form and texture combine to make me reflect on a city with a million and more stories, perhaps its most powerful witnessed in the two towering buildings behind a gaze which can’t forget. With a barren tree against a gloomy sky, a light shines through in the determined eyes of the soiled survivors who move forever forward to pick up the pieces.

I find the composition perfect with just the right balance between the elements of the story and the emotion it evokes. The events are in the past but the memory lives on today and is written on the faces of those who experienced it.

I think this is a wonderful work. Thank you for sharing it.

3pco
    Participant

Okay, so she is juxtaposed with the skyscrapers even to the line of her hair echoed in the perspective warp, which is un peu lourd but still cool I think, and there are twigs  growing outta her head so she is, like, Mother Earth or Gaia, and she is all defiled by the cats who built the building, like, and that’s why all the yucky colors but since this is the shark tank I think the speculars on her right cheek are still too bright because you want people to be drawn to her right eye and that pulls them away.

billyspad
    Blocked

Kent I think I can honestly say most stuff I do like this starts with an idea rather than just a creative exercise. Really its just about the sick, the homeless and the junkies of this world who inhabit a very different world in the urban sprawl to those who live their lives in the shining towers.

billyspad
    Blocked

Graham very glad you liked it and your phrase of soiled survivors is very apt.

billyspad
    Blocked

3pco the yucky colors were simply a reflection of her less than perfect existence. I possibly would not change the highlights you refer too but appreciate your comments on the piece.

Tom M
    Participant

I like this a lot. It is so original, which like Kent says just doesn’t happen that often on LS. Of course it’s heavily photo shopped, but what the heck. To me it perhaps speaks of all the lost souls to be found in big cities, and perhaps anywhere. To me it looks like a painting of some kind. Like I said I just like the originality…

billyspad
    Blocked

Thank you for your kind words Tom. Yes I am a heavy Photoshopper and use it to make art. Yep I got me a decent camera and yep can sometimes take a decent shot but just find more enjoyment in the creation of something original.

Mistyisle
    Participant

In essence, this really appeals to me, billy.  However, my senses rebel at the green overlay or predominance of the green.  However, if we all viewed things the same way, it would certainly be a boring world!

billyspad
    Blocked

Mistyisle as soon as this started to take shape the young lady looked zombiefied and where I come from zombies are green in tone. You maybe have different breed of zombies where you are lol. Thank you for calling by and commenting all viewpoints are much appreciated and ideas taken on board.

bucweeet
    Participant

Seeing as how the end project is ‘art’ vice the standard photo I believe the end proportions of the image are adjustable and not set in standard sizes (i.e. 2×3, 1×1, 8×10, etc). As such…. I might try a different crop to see if the image is presented stronger.

More specifically, I might crop some off the bottom leaving the sides as they are. Place the bottom edge of the image approximately 2/3 to 3/4 way between the current bottom and the bottom of her chin (removing most of her neck, but not all of it). This would remove/hide the three lower windows in the buildings on the right.  As well, my eyes no longer drop down to her neck which takes some of my attention away from the image, but remain on her and the towers.

I believe what is happening with this crop is that in the original image, the top line in the rule-of-thirds (I use this only because it is familiar to most) is situated somewhere in her ‘cheek bones’. With the crop as suggested, the top line now moves up into/closer to her eyes – which draws the viewers eyes in – to her.

For my eyes she attains much stronger visual weight (somewhat ‘in-your-face’) in the image, as well the towers on the RH side gain more visual weight. The smooth transition in my eye movement stays the same as the current version.

I would have posted a version of what I’m trying to explain but you have ‘no’ to members editing your images (which is the standard setting). So…  to see what I’m referring to, with the image enlarged on your screen – click on the bottom edge of your browser window and bring the bottom of the window up so it crops the image to the approximate position.

After doing this 10-12 times, I might take a ‘slight’ amount off the LH side (but only a very small amount).  Cropping off some the LH side will shift more visual weight onto the towers.

The image as is, is still a great image.

billyspad
    Blocked

bucweet With no training and never having sold anything I tend to say I make pictures and leave others to consider if its art. I have to say when doing something like this although it starts with photographs rightly or wrongly I ignore all the “rules” and purely focus on whether it is pleasing to my eyes and says what I think it should.

However your more methodical approach may work a lot better. I had no idea I had disallowed editing and will change that now. In the meantime please feel free to post your version and thank you for the interest taken.

bucweeet
    Participant

Thanx billyspad.  I’m a lot like yourself in that I also have had no training (and also don’t sell my images – they just sit on my PC).  Based upon this image, I admire your ability to manipulate images to the extent of this one.  That level of manipulation is something I haven’t experimented much with (but I always find it fascinating and will hopefully start doing it in the future).

It also sounds like our processing of an image is somewhat similar, albeit probably in different wording.  For me, and as I like to say… I let the image ‘speak’ to me and take me down the path it chooses for me.  Most times I like the end result, and quite often it is not what the image was intended for.  I guess this is the result of – not having deadlines or having ‘a purpose’ for the image.

I’m posting two (2) separate versions of the image that tell completely different stories. I think there are probably a few more interesting versions in this image as well (other than the ones I’m posting ).  I quite often look for ‘pictures within the pictures’ that sometimes tell a different story or have a different take on the image.

Here’s the version I was referring to above.  In addition to cropping the neck, I’ve also cropped both the LH and RH side – a tiny little bit:

bucweeet
    Participant

And here’s the second version.  I’m using my tablet now so when I first opened the image, it gave me this view.  As you can see, it totally changes the story of the image however, my eyes find it very interesting.  This is an example of ‘an image within an image’… not necessarily telling the same story… maybe even a different story all together… but still definitely interesting.

bucweeet
    Participant

As you can see… and at least from my perspective, you now have three (3) separate images telling different stories (or variations of the story)… and as I mention above, by experimenting with the cropping, there are probably more very usable versions.

And if you were to revisit this image in the future, and with your abilities, by varying the colors and tones in the image, I’m sure you’ll find ‘a lot more’ versions that you will also like.

Thanks for posting this image.  Like the others, I find it both very pleasing and interesting.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.