Nikon D750

This topic contains 28 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  chris pook 7 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Kent DuFault
    Participant

I’m thinking about buying this camera. Anyone have thoughts or experience with it before I make the plunge?

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

Hi Kent, what can I say. I have it and I love it.

In terms of performance, I found it amazing. Moreover, it is light and has very good dynamic range and I was amazed by the night sky images taken using that camera. Not sure what more to say, unless you have specific questions. In my opinion, I think it is an incredible camera 🙂

Tom M
    Participant

Kent, I’ve had this about 10 months and I love it. I went from a crop sensor (D7000), and right away I noticed quite a difference in IQ. They say if you can afford it though, go with the D850,which is considerably more cost. But of course, if you want the latest and greatest, go mirror less…

Tobie

I have no experience with it but all I can say is that you can hardly go wrong Kent. A pity it does not have built-in wi-fi and a little bigger memory buffer but in that price class it’s excellent value for money.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

Update: (Thanks for the info!) I purchased one on Ebay, and I got a heck of a deal. The camera with less than 1,500 actuations. Includes all accessories and a 24-120mm VR lens with a B+W UV filter for $1400. This weekend I was almost going to spend $800 more than that for a new one. So happy!

Bruce Gordon
      Participant

Darn, I just bought a new one from B&H…. But I did get the kit, so it came with a lot of extras.

Tobie

Fantastic, well done! One gets stunning bargains from tome to time and this seems to be one of those!

Now let’s see some shots! 😉

Tom M
    Participant

Sounds like you got a good deal. I also bought mine on e-Bay. 15 actuations and a camera bag, all in original sealed packages,$1100, but with some accumulated ebay bucks from previous purchases, I got it for $1,000. 🙂

John Thompson

You did well Kent.  I have a D500 which is very similar only crop sensor.  I love mine and I think you will love yours as well.  Here is something I have wondered about: My D500 costs about $1700 new.  A D5 costs about $6500 new.  Is there $5000 worth of camera difference???

I bought my D500 new from Amazon but I get everything else from ebay.  You have to be patient and look for deals.  I do the same with my computer parts.  I only by the cases new and sometimes a motherboard but everything else is used.

Kent DuFault
      Participant

I doubt that there is $5000 worth of difference. I rarely have the patience to wait and watch on Ebay. I stumbled on this one and it was within 24 hours of the end of the auction. I was surprised because it hadn’t been bid up and so many of the other listings had. I set an alarm and got on Ebay with about 10 minutes left. I had already decided what my maximum bid would be. So, with a few seconds left, I typed it in and bingo I won. Merry Christmas to me! 🙂

John Thompson

That is exactly what you need to do to bid on ebay. Get in at the very end and submit your bid.  I have done this many times on something that I wanted.  A one off for example.

For some reason some auctions go way over a good price to a stupid price.  I see it all the time.  Something that has a current bid of say $70 and you can find one for $58 that are the same condition.  From what I have seen it seems the low starting bid gets everyone’s juices flowing and they lose site of the actual number in the bid.

Kent DuFault
          Participant

You are so right. Over the weekend, I saw a Nikon D750, body only, bid up to and sell for $1365, and the seller had a “Buy it Now” price of $1200!  LOL!

Tobie

Is there $5000 worth of camera difference???

I guess it depends how important some of these differences are to each individual photographer John. To you the 10fps of the D500 is sufficient. To some bird or sports photographers (specially those who make a living from it) the D5’s extra 4fps is non-negotiable.

Other features which may justify the extra $5000 are: –

• Better high ISO performance (2434 vs 1324);
      • Higher color depth (25.1 vs 24.0);
      • Twice the shutter life expectancy (400,000 vs 200,000)
      • Battery life: 1,240 shots vs 3,780. Yes, you can exchange batteries when needed but when you’re busy video recording a hunt in progress then that’s the last thing you want to do;
      • 4K Photo mode (Extract 8MP photos from 4K Video);

To me the D500 has other features which the D5 does not have and which I’d prefer like built-in wi-fi, articulating screen and only half as heavy as the D5.

So, it’s all about what is really important to you.

John Thompson

Thanks Tobie and you are correct.  Since everything I photograph hasn’t moved in three or four million years, a fast fps is not of interest to me.  I do not need to quickly change batteries and photograph very little in the dark.

chris pook
          Participant

That made me laugh but it is true.  Glaciers would be action shots in comparison eh?  🙂

Federico Alegria
    Participant

It has been long since I last used a DSLR, but I do used the Nikon D750 a couple of times, and I felt in love with it’s ergonomics. I remember it as the most comfortable DSLR I ever used in my life, so give it a go, I’m sure you’ll find some really decent deals.

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Happy Christmas Kent. I am sure you are going to love it. I myself have no experience with Nikon. My wife used to have a Nikkormat and still has the FM-2 Titanium. The latter one is absolutely a beautiful camera but it’s not being used anymore. I just took it out of the photo bag the other day to release the shutter a couple of times to keep it going.

Kent DuFault
      Participant

I owned an FM-2 myself back in the early 1980s.

Tom M
    Participant

Ok Kent,we are anxiously awaiting some photos with the D750…

Kent DuFault
      Participant

LOL! I work too much. I’m going to Oregon over Christmas. I hope to make mucho photo time.

LeanneC
        Participant

Hmmm…this is a very timely post, Kent. I appreciated reading this! And Merry Christmas to you! Well done.

Kent DuFault
          Participant

Glad it helped. Looking for a camera? I haven’t taken anything creative yet with the D750. Just pictures of the cats around the house. But let me tell you this… It has amazing quality in low light at higher ISO settings. I took a shot almost in the dark, of one of our cats, at ISO 12,800 and the noise was far less than the noise that I get with my LUMIX mirrorless at ISO 800! And the exposure was perfect. I have to admit, I was quite impressed.

Erik Fransman
            Participant

Remember Kodak’s Recording Film 2475. Rated 1000 ASA (No ISO yet), pushed in Rodinal (or D76, I don’t remember) to 1600 ASA. I liked it a lot but only shot two rolls with it. This is a self-portrait.

Kent DuFault
            Participant

I liked that film too. I never used it professionally, only for personal creative stuff. that portrait is awesome. You were, maybe still are, quite the hippy. 🙂

John Thompson

Now Erik this looks like a Dutchman of yore!  Present in the “Night Watch”?  lol

Kent DuFault
            Participant

I was thinking Inigo Montoya from the movie “The Princess Bride”.

chris pook
            Participant

“You killed my father – prepare to die!”

LeanneC
            Participant

Just looking right now…I am a very slow shopper! But this is good info to have.

LeanneC
    Participant

I am not usually on here before work but when I saw Kent’s comment about Erik’s photo I had to check it out. Kent nailed it!Inigo!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.