Old Bench

This topic contains 20 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Erik Fransman 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

I found this bench in a small fishing village outside of Mazatlan. I tried cropping out the electric meter and/or the door but kinda like the balance as is.  1/250, f6.3, iso100

billyspad
    Blocked

With you all the way in keeping the door and electric meter. The bench is not all that attractive or attention grabbing on its own so the other bits in the image serve to give the viewer at the very least something more to to look at. Not convinced that B/W was the way to go here. The whole beat up downtrodden  look of the place may come across stronger in color. Conversion to mono has tidied it up too much.

The seat of the bench looks blown, is there more detail available from the Raw file?

Dorothy
    Participant

Kenny: i really like this and i understand not loving the meter. rather than crop how about clone it out, that way the balance remains? probably should have had flow at 100% but this gives the idea.  Even if i didn’t know where this was i would know it was hot and dry.  now torn between both versions, each i like.old bench edit

Dorothy
    Participant

I think this should be b&w. when the sun is so bright you have to squint and the color is burned out of the scene from so many days in the hot sun, this is how it looks.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

I have to admit, I like Dorothy’s version better. In her version- the simplicity really ties the composition together. The electric meter being a complicated shape that appears so close to the edge of frame- really draws the eyes off of the picture.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Dorothy and Kent,  I agree the meter is a bit overwhelming but without it looked a bit too bare for me so I did a combo.  Thanks!

Graham Hart
    Participant

Good compromise Lenny but still, I think I prefer the whole meter in rather than out. To me, its the star of the show, not the bench. I would have titled it differently though…something like ‘Electric Wonderland’ or ‘Meter Made’ 🙂 .

Kent’s right about it being quite dominant and the eye goes there first but then travels across the rest of the scene so it kind of balances it out for me. Without it, it just feels a little barren.

Dorothy
    Participant

oops, sorry Lenny, just realized i called you Kenny, seriously need to be more active in proofing what i write before posting, again, sorry.  i like the compromise as well. 🙂

Lenny Wollitz
      Participant

Dorothy, you can call me anything you want except don’t call me late for dinner!

3pco
    Participant

I like Dorothy’s treatment.

Anne Hornsby
    Participant

Lenny, I really like the meter in a square crop of only meter and bench.   Great textures on the wall and ground vs. bench.   If you cropped the image, it would be great to put more space to the left of the meter.

Steve Walker
    Participant

My first thought was that the meter had to go and I liked Dorothy’s cloning effort. Anne’s version made me wish for the door back but her treatment of the meter made that element more interesting (plus, she recovered the highlights on the bench seat).

So many options. Why choose? I’ll make 2 or more.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

I like Dorothy’s or Anne’s versions best. (Sorry Lenny) Even shortened up that meter is too dominant on the edge of the frame.

Robert Apple

For myself I wasn’t seeing much here to catch my attention as subject matter, but I do watch all the posts to see where they go and what I can learn,  Anne’s version really does draw me in.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Anne, very nice!  I cropped one like yours but added canvas to the left side as you suggested. .. it needed a bit of elbow room.   I did one in color too which I hope posts here OK.

Kent, don’t be sorry 🙂

bucweeet
      Participant

I like this one the best Lenny.  Bench seat may be a little to bright still though.

Lenny Wollitz
        Participant

Paul, thanks for your comment.  The bright seat is my failed attempt to show that the sun is out and it’s hot, damn hot!

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

WOOPS, Black and White

Frank
    Participant

Mistyisle
    Participant

What a great thread!  I am sure I must have something wise and unique to say, Lenny, but my quick look through leaves me perplexed.  Will have to give this much more thought tomorrow, when I have not had two glasses of wine.   You give us a fundamental quandary!

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Why people so often want to flip images, puzzles me.

I like your original version. Agee that without the meter it has more simplicity, but it also lacks depth. With the meter (and door), it has more story for me. It looks like a bench outside someone’s house or workshop and he or she is sitting there every now and then. Without the meter, I very quickly zap away.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.