Orange Poppy with Green Sash

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank Feedback Forum Orange Poppy with Green Sash

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Greg
      Participant

f/10, 1/250, ISO=320

Rob Wood (Admin)
      Keymaster

What lens were you using for this one @glegg? The flower is tac sharp!

However, I do think you should have moved that green frond out of the way. This might also be a good scenario for a vignette.

JD
      Participant

Backyard Poppy, shot with Pentax 100 mm Macro

Greg
      Participant

@admin

This was taken with my Canon EOS 60D and the kit lens, a Canon EFS 18-55mm, at 36mm for this shot. I also used an aftermarket sharpen/stabilize/focus app. Can’t say how far away I was from the flower.

I wish, too, that I had at least taken the above shot and then moved the frond from in front of the flower so I would have had a choice.

Thanks,

Greg

Rob Wood (Admin)
      Keymaster

@glegg – What is the name of the app? I gotta try it!

Greg
      Participant

@admin — It’s called Sharpen AI from Topaz Labs. Appears under Filters in PS or runs on its own. They have other apps that I don’t have as well. They give you a 30 trial, which was very helpful to me.

I do the Sharpen AI thing last, after all other adjustments and tweaks in Photoshop and Camera Raw. I also use Camera Raw to sharpen and eliminate noise before I go to PS. (Thanks again, @3pco.)

beth
        Participant

i use topaz’s sharpen ai too (just for sharpening, not a big fan of the stabilize which leaves artifacts).  it’s little slow if you have a ton of photos, but it’s pretty effective.

Greg
      Participant

JD (@jimronda3985) — Did you mean to post this to my post of the orange poppy? The Sharktank would be one level up from here.

Regardless, your photo could be improved with better focus. Do you use Photoshop? I would also recommend the app I mentioned — Topaz Lab’s Sharpen AI. Free 30 day trial.

Greg

P.S.  I just got it. I think — This is a shot of another kind of poppy? The emergent seed pod looks very “poppy-ish.”

• This reply was modified 1mo, 2wk ago by Greg.
      Tobie

Beautiful flower spoiled by the photo-bomb leave. I would have taken it away before attempting the shot.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Hi Greg, I agree with the comments of the members above. Also, it would be nice to have some space at the bottom of the flower 🙂

Greg
      Participant

Thanks for the feedback, all. General consensus is that adding a cute caption does not improve a photo much. 🙂

beth
      Participant

moving the frond and not cutting off the bottom of the flower would be a good start on this one, but the pov/comp. seems a little more of a snapshot style photo than anything else.  that’s not necessarily a bad thing if you just wanted to document it, but it would be more interesting to see a different view.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author