Pied Piper

This topic contains 20 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Tom M 7 months ago.

• Author

Albirder
    Participant

Pied Piper

Pied Piper

I confess. I like this picture. Maybe I even like this picture a lot. It has not been especially well received across a couple of forums. The expression of the lead school girl speaks to me. I cannot tell if others do not even notice it or if it just does not speak to them. I have gotten some criticism about the overlap of people in the picture.  That is not a distraction for me. It contributes to the sense that she is leading with joy. Please do not worry about my feelings on this, I am trying to understand the rather universal reaction. Do you have a preference for color or b&w? Is there anything I can do in post processing to strengthen the picture? Thanks, Sharks.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

I prefer colour Diane. The sky in the upper left corner is competing with the white t-shirted girl for my attention. I think I see why you chose to crop it there but when I cover up the sky my attention to the girl is increased.

Albirder
      Participant

Thank you, Rob! What happened to my promise to myself that I would always try a final crop? As I posted this picture my eye snagged.

Bruce Gordon
    Participant

I’m with Rob on preferring the color version.

On crop, what would you think of cropping out the building completely, right down to the tip of the lead girl’s umbrella, and bringing the crop in from the right enough to omit the boy with his umbrella over his head?

I don’t know how to crop other people’s photos on this forum…

Albirder
      Participant

If there is anything I have learned in this Forum, it is how personal crop choice is. I tried your crop and I felt like I lost the sense of the crowd following her. You are right on, though, it needed an additional crop. Thank you!

Robert Apple

I like this Photo Diane, I agree with the others about the sky being a eye snag and the windows are a bit distracting too, but I wouldn’t crop as I think the line of people going all the way up the stairs adds to it. I did a quick mask and added some cloudy Skies to the bright areas. You may have a photo with rainy skies that will work better then what I did, I would punch up the clarity a bit to make the rain drops stand out a bit more. I have limited capabilities at work on my 2002 model laptop, here is a down and dirty example.

Erik Fransman
    Participant

I like it a lot. It works well. The color version. If it were mine I would increase the color on the umbrella’s, shoes, clothes and burn the tiles.

Albirder
      Participant

@robertapple This improved the original composition by a lot! I have to ask how you did it. Did you use a luminosity mask? Thank you for your edit.

Albirder
      Participant

Erik, Sadly I am a Beginner- in my post processing skills and I have stalled out. Did you saturate each object separately? I have promised myself to try much harder and really study on this in the New Year.

Erik Fransman
        Participant

Diane, yes I painted each object separately. That is quite easy to do, I image in any PP software.
        Just chose a vibrance brush and start painting. You can increase or decrease the intensity.

For more control, use a separate layer of each object.

Graham Hart
    Participant

Definitely colour for me Albirder. My favourite version is Erik’s edit which has helped to bring a bit more dimension and vibrance to the image I think.

Out of interest I explored the crop suggestion too and I actually think it really ups the focus on the main character with minimal loss of information in the scene. An added bonus I found is that it also brings the lady on the right (tan tousers) into the story more. Her almost dour expression makes a strong counterpoint to the girl on the left seemingly lost in the moment. Also gets rid of the bright sky area on the left. Plus did a bit of healing on the RH side to clean it up a touch.

Albirder
      Participant

This is going to be my editing goal. Such a challenge it is going to be for me! Did you use content aware to remove the fellow on the right? Thank you, Graham.

Graham Hart
        Participant

I used Photopad for the healing part. It does many things but I pretty much use it for healing exclusively. It is SO easy and intuitive to use.

Albirder
          Participant

I looked it up, it is for Mac only, so I will have to stick to Adobe. My problem is I have a really hard time with selection tools. Maybe I need to get a Wacom tablet.

Graham Hart
            Participant

No its for PC too. Thats what I have.

Anne Hornsby
    Participant

I really like this image, Diane.   I prefer color, too.   I like leaving the bit of sky in the upper left side of the image and darkening it, as Robert and Erik did.   I also prefer keeping all the people.   I like the colors in Erik’s edits.    I noticed that the young woman with the clear umbrella (and thus the much lighter skin tone)  has some sort of blotch on her chin — could be a raindrop on the lens.    Finally, my eyes long to see the faces better, with lightening the exposure, but does this fit with a rainy day?    Have fun, Diane!

Albirder
    Participant

Thanks, Anne for your thoughts. Good catch on the drop on the lens. As I looked at it there were a number of drops. This is why it is best to keep lenses dry, because failure to do so extracts post processing time. I have a pretty good awareness of that, but it is hard when it is pouring down raining! I will definitely add that to my to do list for this picture.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Diane, I like the idea. I have been looking at this one for several days and I just don’t get the story because of the IMO distracting colors and I don’t care for the BW version processing that much. For me more than 50% of the weight is the color which to me makes it (color) the subject not the girl.  Your subjects face is small so it’s difficult to see the her wonderful expression. In color or BW the crowd doesn’t look like they are following her that much, just behind her. Here is a half baked idea from way out in left field.Left field

Albirder
      Participant

Lenny, I have to tell you I really like this. This is my intent and, in the end, I have to not lose my way with distractions. Well done. Thank you!

Tom M
    Participant

Good job Lenny. Though all good suggestions and versions, I liked the closeup and the highlighted raindrops better…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.