POTW – June 22, 2020

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat POTW – June 22, 2020

• This topic has 26 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 1wk ago by xelapui.
Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      Kent DuFault
      Participant

Light stalking has a significant number of fantastic bird photos that are uploaded almost every week. It’s often hard to isolate one as being the best example.

This shot by Dave Watkins @pentaxfan struck me as a standout nature photograph.

The lighting is perfect. (No flash used.)

His focus placement is exacting. The depth of field is just enough to keep the head and wing sharp while letting the rest of the photograph slowly dissipate into beautiful bokeh highlights.

The color balance is bright and vibrant without getting oversaturated.

Dave’s camera position creates an excellent contrasting background to the bird’s outlined body.

The darker branches create a beautiful frame.

Finally, the delicate moss on the perched branch adds a beautiful feature.

A POTW effort. Congratulations, Dave!

I did two serious contenders, which I will post below.

The first was David Chesterfield for his compelling and masterful images of fluid movement.

The second was Graham Hart for his nature macro shot titled, “Aralia in The Shadows.” On any other week, this image probably would have won. Graham did everything right in this picture, and it is quite captivating.

Kent DuFault
      Participant
      Rob Wood (Admin)
      Keymaster

Gorgeous one @pentaxfan

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Thank you Kent. So many amazing images are posted on Light Stalking every week I’m honored to have one of mine chosen as POTW. Your critique is flattering and very much appreciated. No flash used but took a bit of work in post to get the shot to where it is.

Congratulations to David and Graham!

Federico Alegria
      Participant

Congrats Dave, nice birdie! Very well deserved.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Loving your recent bird and moss images. Lovely colours and beautiful birds. Congratulations on POTW πŸ™‚

Patrick
      Participant

Thanking you Kent , fab choices πŸ˜‰

Excellent POTW Dave Congratulations , your eye with the camera and your PP decisions are brilliant well chuffed for you mate.

Same goes for the work David and Graham posted , clean tidy and eye catching stuff guys well deserved , thanks for sharing πŸ˜‰

John Thompson

Congrats Dave!!

Frank
      Participant

Nice one, Dave!Β  Can you explain how you used the flash?Β  Was it angled and off camera? Low powered?Β  I would not have even noticed it, if Ken had not mentioned it.Β  Β Is this a set up you have near-by with feeders, etc.? (Is that a purple finch?)

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

No flash used Frank. You’re correct. It is a Purple Finch. He’s about 5 feet from one of our feeders. Waiting his turn. πŸ™‚

Joanne Van Praag
      Participant

Stunning image, congratulations

Tersha
      Keymaster

Congrats o POTW Dave, definitely a winning photo!
      Great contenders David and Graham!

Petr Nowak
      Participant

Amazing shot!!! Congratulations Dave.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Congrats Dave!

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Thank you for the comments Joanne, Diane, Petr and Rob. πŸ™‚

Jasenka G
      Participant

Congrats on POTW, Dave! Your shot and this bird are equally gorgeous.

Charmaine Joubert
      Participant

Well done Dave on your POTW. The lighting on the bird has been so well handled, it brings out all the textures in the feathers and the bird is such a beautiful colour.

Dave Watkins
        Participant

Thank you Charmaine. πŸ™‚ I appreciate your comment.

Bruce Gordon
      Participant

Congrats Dave! A beautiful image and a well deserved honor!

Dave Watkins
      Participant

I appreciate that Bruce. Thank you. πŸ™‚

ElinL
      Participant

Lovely shot Dave, congrats on well deserved POTW

Tobie

Well done Dave – and well analyzed Kent! I can’t help but agree with all you’ve said! Worthy of POTW for sure!

Well done to Graham & David too!

Graham Hart
      Participant

Late to the party again. Congrats Dave on POTW. A fantastic shot with gorgeous soft colours on a muted background. Just excellent.

Amazing image(s) from David too. Thanks also Kent for the reference to the Aralia pic.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Thanks Tobie! Thanks Graham!Β  πŸ™‚

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author

Kent is an occasional writer at our place, and also handles the weekly β€œPicture of the Week” contest. He has been involved with photography since 1974 and you can get to know him better here