POTW – June 24, 2019

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat POTW – June 24, 2019

This topic contains 15 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  beth 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

Kent DuFault
    Participant

The POTW goes to Click for the image titled, “‘Descartes’ internal monologue”. It was uploaded into the “Weekend Photography Challenge #440 Patterns”.

It takes a degree of effort to create something of interest out of nothing.

I feel that Click’s photograph directly falls into this category. It is only through careful subject placement and composition that a photograph, such as this, can maintain attention.

I was also interested in the title. What was the correlation?

It was quite apt actually.

I was not particularly schooled on Rene’ Descartes. Although, a number of his quotes were quite familiar to me.

After reading up on him, (inspired to do so as a direct result of this photograph by the way…), I discovered that he is considered the father of modern philosophy (amongst other things).

After reading a number of Descartes thoughts and quotes- this photograph quite literally made even more sense to me.

Here are a few of those quotes for you to contemplate…

“Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it.

It is not enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to use it well.

Cogito ergo sum. (I think; therefore I am.)

The reading of all good books is like a conversation with the finest minds of past centuries.

If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.

Each problem that I solved became a rule, which served afterwards to solve other problems.

The greatest minds are capable of the greatest vices as well as of the greatest virtues.

Perfect numbers like perfect men are very rare.

I am accustomed to sleep and in my dreams to imagine the same things that lunatics imagine when awake.

Except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power.”

You probably recognize at least a couple of these. I particularly like the last one. I think I will write that quote down and put it on my desk.

Congratulations to Click for the POTW win. Have a great week everyone.

John Thompson

Congrats @rshattil with a great photograph.

Kent your way of presenting this photo is spot on.  Very good my friend.  I have always thought that after reading most of the classics, although you may never read them again, it is important for you to have them in your library.  I do and have not read them for so many years although I have just revisited T.S. Eliot who’s work has always been very close to me.

Descartes should be required reading for anyone wanting to further their understanding of anything.

Gray B
      Participant

Well said John.

Robert Apple

In my short time at college I had a professor who was convinced René Descartes was the first to discover LSD.

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

Congratulations Click on POTW 🙂

Tersha
    Keymaster

Congrats on POTW Click, thought provoking!

P71
    Participant

Congratulations Click on this weeks POTW , Nice work and well done on your thought process here.

Thanks a lot For setting it up and thank you kent for the research on Rene’ Descartes , i learned some interesting from this.

“Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it.

Little and often 😉

Dorothy
    Participant

Congratulations Click!  “Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it.” i think about this quote and look at this photo and can imagine young children deciding to build a clubhouse and did it! 🙂  i really enjoy POTW, there is always something amazing and this is one of those things.

Graham Hart
    Participant

Congratulations on POTW Click.

JasenkaG
    Keymaster

Congrats on POTW! I like this geometric simplicity.

Gray B
    Participant

Thanks for doing our homework for us Kent and Click, your title went past me but you image didn’t.  Congratulations on this POTW.

Andre P.
    Participant

Excellent choice for the POTW !

Bobbie
    Participant

Click, I just saw that you got a very well deserved POW. I thought this was a complex interesting image when I saw it in the forum and was happy to see that Kent and others shared my opinion. Congrats!

Robert Apple

Congrats on POTW Click.

Mistyisle
    Participant

Congratulations, Click on a very subtle, but also challenging, image and on being POTW.  Kent’s comments are very good indeed too!

beth
    Participant

congrats!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.