POTW March 26, 2018

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Frogdaily 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author

Kent DuFault
    Participant

This week our Guest Judge was Graham Hart.

It is very humbling and a privilege to be given the task of Guest Judge for Photo Of The Week in the Light Stalkers forum and every bit as difficult as I thought it would be with several truly excellent images posted this week. I could only whittle my list of finalists down to four and in the end went with my heart and awarded POTW to Frogdaily’s image titled “I’m Here For You My Friend’.

The original upload is located on the thread titled, “Weekend Photography Challenge #375 Triangles and Threes”.

The attention is immediately drawn to the focus of this image, the seal. All else is pretty much window dressing as the entire story is told in this sleeping old warrior of the ocean. Like an old family dog, he rests in peaceful slumber while capturing the sun’s rays to warm his battle-scarred body. Beside him, a fragile seabird looks enquiringly at his aged face seemingly waiting for him to wake so it can perhaps begin looking for the tics and lice infesting his body without startling him. As the title suggests, it’s as if these two are old friends with a mutual pact not to disturb him while sleeping.

The image is well composed with the concrete wall providing a strong leading line and a perfect DOF brings the seal into sharp focus and provides just enough foreground and background detail without drawing the attention away.

The light from the top left corner of the image suggests a little PP work to dodge and enhance the bright flank of the seal facing away from the sun but this could also be its natural colouring. Either way, the balance of colour further enhances the visual weight of the image. The brown seal stands out like a visitor in a strange blue land just here to rest and bathe in the warmth before returning to his cold watery home.

My three runners up: Red Rock, Pomegranates, and Tug Boat were all beautifully crafted images. Each one could have won if it wasn’t for my soft spot for all creatures great and small – (like seals and seabirds). It’s worth checking out the links below to see these images.

Technical mastery is a photographers tool of trade but ‘right place, right time’ is a pretty powerful tool as well and this image successfully combines both IMHO. Congratulations to Frogdaily for this week’s POTW.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

Tersha
      Keymaster

Thanks for the mention Graham!

Horatio Hadley
    Participant

Congratulations, Frogdaily, with your Photo of The Week.

Tersha
    Keymaster

Very emotive shot Frog, congrats on POTW!
    Good choice Graham!

Frogdaily
    Participant

Thank you so much Graham for choosing my photo as POTW, I am truly honored!  Congratulations to the runners up as they are all great photos.

Thank you Horatio and Tersha for your kind words!

chris pook
    Participant

Really great shot, well done, well deserved !  🙂

LeanneC
    Participant

Love this. Congrats Frog!

ElinL
    Participant

Congrats Frog – a lovely image !

Rob Eyers
    Participant

I can smell the salt air and hear the seagulls Belinda. Congratulations on a great capture and POTW.

Frogdaily
    Participant

Thank you Chris, Leanne, Elin and Rob for your kind words

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

This is a very powerful image with the little bird and the seal and you have captioned it so well Belinda. Love it and congratulations on POTW 🙂

Frogdaily
      Participant

Thank you so much Dahlia, appreciate your kind words

Frogdaily
    Participant

Thanks again Graham for choosing my photo as POTW … I just found out this photo has made the top 15% in the Animals category on 500px … so feeling pretty good about this one. ????

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.