POTW – May 1, 2017

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Kent DuFault
      Participant

https://flic.kr/p/xgqhjF

This week, the selection of the POTW was a very difficult decision. Under the thread, “Throwdown – Lightpainting”, David Chesterfield is taking this photographic artform to new and amazing levels. These images are definitely worthy of the POTW. However, I feel like he is only to going to keep producing better and better photographs with his techniques. Plus, he won with his light painting once already. So David, GREAT IMAGES, but I went a different direction, but be aware, I’m very impressed. I can’t wait to see what you come up with next. There were quite a few really interesting shots uploaded into the “silhouettes” thread started by Tersha. There was one shot entered by Carolyn that was quite visually captivating. However, the shot that really caught my eye the most was by Gordon James- of the busker sitting in the shadows. Every element of the shot came together in a way that told an excellent story. Also, while following the guidelines of being a silhouette, there were just enough foreground details to take the shot from being somewhat ordinary- to a really captivating moment. Congratulations to Gordon James.

CC: @admin @tersha @gordonjames

Kent DuFault
      Participant

David Chesterfield – amazing light painting shots. https://www.lightstalking.us/forums/topic/throwdown-lightpainting/

Gordon James
      Participant

That came as a bit of a surprise, Kent! Refreshed a page and suddenly this was in the margin! Many thanks.

Tobie

I love it, Gordon! Congrat’s & well done! Good choice, Kent!

Rob Eyers
        Participant

Kent has made another good choice from a week that had many interesting postings. Congratulations Gordon. I always enjoy your contributions.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Really good shot, love it! Congrats Gordon on POTW!

ElinL
      Participant

Great image Gordon. Congrats on POTW !

VALERY
      Participant

Real eye catcher with a story-congrats!

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

That’s a really good image Gordon. Congratulations on POTW 🙂

Erik Fransman
      Participant

Very nice Gorden. Congratulations. Good choice Kent.

Mistyisle
      Participant

Great use of light, congratulations, Gordon! 🙂

Gordon James
      Participant

Thank you all – very kind comments.

The shot has a bit of a story behind it, as it came from a rare shoot with Canon’s wonderful 70-200 f2.8. A shoot that produced a very high ratio of ‘keepers’. Quite apart from the silhouette element, I was struck with the various shades of orange-brown in the original; chair, guitar, fallen leaves, stone. I then tried to harmonise these by desaturating the orange tones then re-toning the whole image with a buff-coloured highlight tone. This is the result.

Bobbie
      Participant

I’m happy Gordon! As you know I really liked this as soon as I saw it in the challenge forum. Sorry about the timing – I’m a little behind on things and just saw this now.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.