POTW – November 25, 2019

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat POTW – November 25, 2019

• This topic has 27 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 6mo ago by Patrick.
Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      Kent DuFault
      Participant

Our POTW winner for this week is P71 (Pat) for his mysterious landscape photograph titled, “In the thick of it.”

In my mind, I often compare viewing photography as a similar experience to reading a book.

There are books that you pick up and read them. You get through the book, and you come away feeling that it was ok.

There are books that you start and quickly put down, never pick them up again.

Finally, there are books that, from the first moment you begin reading them, you’re hooked. You can’t put them down. They leave an indelible impression.

Our POTW winner for this week is like one of these fantastic books that hook your imagination and won’t let go.

Tersha (Diane) commented on this photograph, and I think it fits perfectly. She said, “Both good Patrick, but the 1st is special!” (He had posted two pictures. This being the first one.)

She’s right. This picture is captivating. It’s an excellent use of Minimalism. It lets the fire up their imagination.

Also, this week, I want to mention @Davidc. He was poised to be the POTW winner last week. However, I was unable to make the post due to complications with the website. His photograph titled, “Lochgoilhead in the rain” is also an amazing and memorable moment capture. I’ll post a link below.

Kent DuFault
      Participant
        Frogdaily
        Participant

Absolutely a stunning image by @davidc ! Well deserved POTW! Thank ย you for posting – I had missed this one.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Great shot Patrick. Great choice Kent.ย  This image is mysterious, moody, spooky, haunting and more. A well deserved POTW. Congrats.

John Thompson

Another POTW Patrick!ย  Congrats.

David I just loved you image when I first saw it.ย  Well done.

Metzler
      Participant

Interesting photo. I’m not sure exactly where you started or where you wanted to take it, but I think that you could make it a bit stronger. I found the little specks of bright white in the dark areas to be distracting. And I believe if you are going to effectively use negative space ( extreme dark or black areas), then light or white spots or items cause the eye to get distacted. I removed some of them for example. You have a lot of noise in the light areas in the background and tree limbs. I smoothed it a bit in the detail tab in Lightroom and it seemed to add a bit of a misty feel as well as reducing the noisee. I also think a bit more light in the shadows might help, only a couple of percent, so not much. Maybe just a pinch of a crop on the left to pull the light areas just a bit more out of center. This is purely my take and suggestions for you to think about. Maybe you did all of this and chose your presentation. It is after all, your image and interpretation. My opinion is just that and should not be considered as gospel, only as possible options.

Metzler
        Participant

I really like the skull that pops out in the foreground of the light area.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Congratulations Patrick and David on POTW ๐Ÿ™‚

Patrick
      Participant

I am totally lost for words guys i really am … Firstly thank you very much.

Kent you are very kind with what you have written above and like many others here i learn so much from you be it in your own photographic work or your advice covering so many of the the things one should consider when making photos.

Thank you for all you do and i’m so lucky and thankful to be around so many talented photographers here on LS.

Congratulations David well worked shot mate , glad to see it here it’s deserved ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hello Metzler ,ย  many thanks for your very detailed advice on my PP and things that can help me out i appreciate the time you took to have a look over it , i will surely keep your helpful thoughts in mind for future work as well , cheers mate ๐Ÿ˜‰

Dahlia , Dave , John , you guys are always very kind and helpful … Thanks very much to each for the kind words and encouraging feedback ;).

ElinL
      Participant

Congrats Patrick and David on well deserved POTW. Stunning images both of them.

beth
      Participant

congrats to patrick and davidc!ย  well done guys!

Tersha
      Keymaster

Congrats Patrick on POTW! As Kent said, a captivating image!
      And Davidc your image is also very good, love it!

Robert Apple

Congradulations Patrick on POTW

Patrick
      Participant

Elin , Beth , Tersha , Robert , Thank you very much folks your Kind words mean a lot and are appreciated as always ๐Ÿ˜‰

Pat Garrett
      Participant

I add my congrats too, Patrick

Bruce Gordon
      Participant

Great choice Kent, and well deserved Pat! Same for you Davidc!

davidc
      Participant

Thanks everyone. The first time ever for POTW.

Well done P71. I would like to walk through that forest.

๐Ÿ™‚

JasenkaG
      Keymaster

Congrats on POTW, Pat ๐Ÿ™‚

John Teate
      Participant

Congrats Pat on POTW.ย  Very surreal image, really love it.

Patrick
      Participant

Thank you , Jasenka ,Pat , Bruce ,david , john i appreciate your very kind comments guys ๐Ÿ˜‰ cheers.

Kent DuFault
      Participant

@davidc – Really? You’ve never won the POTW before. Well, it was about time my friend!

davidc
        Participant

Thank you so much Kent.

Frogdaily
      Participant

Congratulations P71 on POTW!

Patrick
      Participant

Hi Frogdaily , Thanks so much very kindย  ๐Ÿ˜‰

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Congrats to you both Patrick and David. Both are well deserved.

Patrick
      Participant

Hi Rob , thanks very much mate ๐Ÿ˜‰

Mistyisle
      Participant

Powerful image ….. and different, Pat – Congratulations!

Congrats to you too, David – I left Scotland in 1965, on my 21st birthday, for New Zealand.ย  Now that I am very much older, I appreciate the beauty of Scotland much more now than when I lived there.

Patrick
        Participant

Thanks very much mate.

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author

Kent is an occasional writer at our place, and also handles the weekly โ€œPicture of the Weekโ€ contest. He has been involved with photography since 1974 and you can get to know him better here