Tagged: @admin @tersha @loki
- September 30, 2019 at 11:13 am #420648
Some weeks, this job is tough.
After much consideration, I have decided to award the POTW to Beth for her beautiful portrait of an old fishing boat in Iceland.
When I look at this photograph, I envision a gigantic print, beautifully framed with a thick and heavily weathered wooden frame: hanging in a museum or an art gallery.
It is an exquisite example of photography as artwork.
One thing that always grabs my attention when I view photography, (and I view lots of photography – everyday – as it is part of my job), is an image that depicts something that I haven’t seen before, or it depicts a subject that I have seen before- but in a new and fresh way.
The second category is where Beth’s image falls.
There is no shortage of old fishing boat photographs out there. But, I cannot recall another one that used camera POV, lensing, and symmetry to create such a gorgeous graphic effect as Beth’s.
Congratulations to Beth on her outstanding photograph.
I did have two runner-ups.
“Saturday misty morning” by Petr Nowak and “Kip” by Rob Wood. I’ll post links below. If you haven’t seen these two photographs- definitely take a moment to go look at them.
- September 30, 2019 at 11:19 am #420652
- September 30, 2019 at 12:05 pm #420656
- September 30, 2019 at 1:18 pm #420664
Congratulations Beth on POTW 🙂
- September 30, 2019 at 1:28 pm #420665
Congrats Beth, Well Deserved.
- September 30, 2019 at 1:45 pm #420670
Congratulations Beth! Nods to you Petr and Rob!
- September 30, 2019 at 2:36 pm #420673
Congratulations Beth on a very lovely and well deserved POTW 😉
Well done Petr and Rob ace looking photos guys.
- September 30, 2019 at 3:52 pm #420679
Congrats on POTW Beth! I missed this before, and so pleased to see it now.
Beautiful Misty morning Petr!
Lovely smiley portrait of Kip, Rob!
- September 30, 2019 at 5:28 pm #420683
Beth, this is just a WOW shot. WOW!
- September 30, 2019 at 5:45 pm #420685
Congratulations Beth on POTW. Great shot.
- September 30, 2019 at 7:53 pm #420699
- October 1, 2019 at 12:50 am #420712
I too love the pp on this. I would live to know how you accomplished this…
- October 1, 2019 at 11:13 pm #420806
thanks, but i didn’t do much to this. i got really lucky with some nice soft side lighting. the background is the mountain across the fjord. the dirt is really a blackish purple there with some green moss.
in lightroom i leveled it off of the concrete at the bottom, increased the contrast a bit, opened up the shadows at the bottom and added some clarity to help the texture on the boat pop a little. in photoshop i removed a streetlight head in the upper left, resized and sharpened for the web.
- October 1, 2019 at 5:43 am #420715
Congrats Beth! This really deserves POTW.
- October 1, 2019 at 6:04 pm #420754
👍👍 Love that!
- October 1, 2019 at 8:13 pm #420778
That is a mind blowing photograph Beth! Really awesome, and well deserved honor! Well done!
- October 1, 2019 at 10:46 pm #420805
Fantastic shot Beth and what a backdrop! Like Kent said, the unique POV really makes this shot not to mention the seafaring stories embedded in the hulking hull. I know it’s a regular fishing vessel but why do I keep looking for the viking hoard? Congrats on a well deserved POTW.
- October 2, 2019 at 2:24 am #420822
Beth this is spectacular!!! The muted gray blues are so thoughtful and mood enhancing. At first, I thought there was a giant vintage map behind the ship! Excellent editing choices!!!!
- October 2, 2019 at 3:54 am #420831
Congratulations Beth on a well deserved POTW! I had missed this one and am so happy to see it here
- October 3, 2019 at 3:09 am #420904
Rob Wood (Admin)Keymaster
Yep. that’s a good one.
- October 5, 2019 at 12:00 pm #421116
Congrats to all. Very nice Beth!
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.