POTW – September 9, 2019

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat POTW – September 9, 2019

This topic contains 22 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  Emil M Jakobsen 2 months ago.

• Author

Kent DuFault
    Participant

This week the POTW goes to Pat Garrett for her moody storytelling photograph of a fisherman at sunset.

There was some debate about the level of brightness on the left rear side of the picture.

Here are my thoughts on that.

If you cover that area with your hand the photograph really loses something. That contrast… that brightness… is so familiar to anyone who has spent time on the water, and it adds credibility to the bright highlight on the bow of the canoe.

Plus, there are three very strong shapes in this shot: the bow of the boat, the man’s hat, and the fishing pole. Combining those strong shapes with the the transition from light to dark, which occurs right at the bow of the boat creates a strong subject area with heavy visual weight, in a Minimalist composition, with excellent use of negative space.

I think it’s a fantastic shot, and I wouldn’t change it at all.

Congratulations Pat!

I had two runner-ups this week.

The first was Lenny’s shot titled “A Trashed Lady NSFW?”. This is a really insightful capture in my opinion, which allows a viewer to draw many interpretations.

The second was Erik’s shot titled “Almost Spring”. His image of a quaint farm scene is just one of those shots that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy and you just want to keep imagining yourself standing there.

I’ll post links below.

• This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Kent DuFault.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

Robert Apple

Excellent choice Kent and congratulations Pat.

Gray B
    Participant

I’m not a fisherman Pat, but I do understand why some cast their line but don’t care whether they make a catch or not.  I’d like to be right where this fisherman is at.  Beautiful composition.

John Thompson

Very nice Pat.  Great choice Kent.  Lenny does it again and Erik post a wonderful pic of a wonderful place to live.

Dave Watkins
    Participant

Beautiful shot. Wonderful golden glow of sunlight. Well deserved POTW. Congratulations. And congrats to Lenny and Erik as well.

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

Awesome image Pat and congratulations on POTW 🙂

Tersha
    Keymaster

Congrats on POTW, Pat, superb image!
    Plus Lenny and Erik both deserve mentions!

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Congratulations Pat. Really good composition and mood. Plus of course, right time right place. Well done.

Lenny, I like your shot a lot too. Well spotted.
    Thank you Kent for the mention. Always an honor.

Pat Garrett
    Participant

I am stunned! So honored to have a POTW! Thank you Kent and for all the many who commented! That is my 14 year old grandson in the canoe –  an avid fisherman and photo enthusiast.

Charmaine Joubert
    Participant

Well done Pat, such a special photo. Well done to Lenny and Erik.

Mistyisle
    Participant

A magic image where everything comes together perfectly, Pat, and an excellent choice for POTW.

Very well done too, Lenny and Erik ………… had it been a different week    … ??

Petr Nowak
    Participant

Great photo. Amazing mood, colors, composition. Congratulation Pat.

P71
    Participant

Congratulations with your beautiful POTW Pat , Very Well deserved 😉

Congratulations Lenny and Erik  , well done folks

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  P71.

Graham Hart
    Participant

Congratulations Pat on a marvellous photograph. I hope your grandson continues his passion for both photography and fishing because he will cherish this image in years to come. I trust it’s at the framer’s already 🙂

Lenny and Erik, congrats on both terrific shots. Well deserving of the mention.

Tom M
    Participant

I had not seen this image previously. I love this photo…

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Hi Pat, I love it even without a fish on the line 🙂

Eric, lovely!

Thanks Kent!

Rob Eyers
    Participant

A classic shot Pat. Congratulations on POTW. Congrats to Erik and Lenny too.

Bobbie
    Participant

Great work all of you!

Kent, I totally agree with you about the left side. I covered it with my hand and immediately took it away.

Pat, I hadn’t seen this image and you definitely deserve POTW. The color and composition are magnificent!

LeanneC
    Participant

I spent a lot of time fishing from a canoe as a youth and I absolutely LOVE this image for the memories it evokes. Wonderful image Pat! Congrats on POTW

Tobie

Absolutely love this shot, well done mate!

Jasenka G
    Participant

Congrats on this amazing shot! Well deserved POTW 🙂

Emil M Jakobsen
    Participant

Excellent choice

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.