Puss in Boot

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Rob Wood (Admin)
      Keymaster

Taken on iPhone XI and edited on iPad Pro with Lightroom Mobile.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

I never get tired of cat pics. Great shot, great looking cat and great title.

Oops! Not paying attention earlier. Didn’t notice this was in the ST. I agree with Petr about the tight crop to the boot. Maybe lose the diagonal upper right and the little stub of a shadow(?) between cat and boot in white triangle. Maybe just get rid of the white triangle.

Petr Nowak
      Participant

I like it. Well done alternation shadow-light-shadow-light = well separated subject.
      Only the left crop is maybe to tight on boot.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

I’m always curious about how photographers can get a cat to cooperate. Our neighborhood mouser is a handsome dude but as soon as the camera comes out he avoids looking at the camera. Nice image Rob.

If this were mine I’d add to the left a touch, get rid of the board gap in the lower right, burn the lighter parts of the BG a tadd, dodge the face a bit, and burn the fur below its face. Lastly crop it to 4×6.

• This reply was modified 1wk, 3d ago by Rob Eyers.
      Falxy
      Participant

More like Puss with a Boot!

Jeez so much to enquire on….where to start.

Hey i like surreal!!…..try cropping in the left to take out some boot…what a lovely word…boot…….while leaving in some or all of the hinge.

bokeh is not to die for

cat sharp 🙂

sry dave i get quite bored quite quickly with images concerning the feline form.

and this is the st and not some backslapping area of contentment where you cannot upset someone and lead them to a path of mediocrity…………………..

Dave Watkins
        Participant

“sry dave i get quite bored quite quickly with images concerning the feline form.”

That’s quite alright Falxy. I most likely will not lose any sleep pondering this revelation.  I did make the mistake of not noticing Rob posted this image in the Shark Tank before my first reply. My bad.

That’s a beautiful cat Rob. Give him(her) a scratch behind the ears for me. 🙂

Just a few minor tweaks.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Great pic rob. My only very minor reservation is the hinge and screw heads which tend to take too much of my attention. Maybe heal them out?

Rob Wood (Admin)
        Keymaster

Graham, I have noticed before that you really nail your healing work. Are you doing that with a mask in PS or how?

Graham Hart
          Participant

Hi Rob, often a combination of methods. From memory, in this case I made a new layer then used the healing brush tool to sample areas near to the hinge and brush over it. To match the colour/light & shade, I adjusted the opacity of the layer and used a white brush to feather the edges in better. The screw heads were a simple sample & replace with the healing brush. The hardness of the brush was always quite soft to avoid harsh edge marks as much as possible but if there were any then the white brush technique cleans them up. I’ve also used the clone stamp tool for some work but that works best on same for same replacement work. The hinge in your pic lies in an area where the light transitions from dark to light so it was a bit trickier.

3pco
      Participant

Quality puss

Joanne Van Praag
      Participant

Great image – can’t believe you took that with a phone!

Rob Wood (Admin)
        Keymaster

Joanne, I have noticed that this phone (iPhone XI) does really really well in a specific type of light – soft and dispersed. It really struggles in harsh light and low light.

Anne Hornsby
      Participant

@admin    Very sharp image, Rob.  And a great example of how the title can contribute to interpretations.    I asked Mrs. Google about Puss in Boots because I couldn’t remember and never saw the 2011 movie.   Who knew the 1st version of this cat appeared in the mid-1500s!

Many versions of the story have Puss using trickery and deceit to gain power, wealth, and the hand of a princess in marriage for his penniless and low-born master.  [wikipedia]

So Duncan @falxy  your comments about cropping the boot inspired me!   Below is a 16×9 B&W crop where the kitty looks much more like a wily trickster in the midst of making a plan, eh?

Jasenka G
        Participant

Interesting crop for sure, I think this works but I still prefer the color version since it enhances the subject/background separation.

Rob Wood (Admin)
      Keymaster

Very good suggestions all. I am never disappointed with the Tank – it always gives me at least a few ideas that I honestly had not considered.

Falxy
      Participant

So Anne ive been Horsbied!!and totally transitioned to PUSSANDBOOTS!! voila as they say in an area we are banned from visiting!! 🙂 xxx

Anne Hornsby
        Participant

Love it –  yes, you were Horsbied!  Or maybe I was Falxyied?  🙂

Falxy
      Participant

the tank is for original thought through images and hardcore response…….surely…….don’t call me Shirely!! 🙂

Frank
      Participant

I like the crop, because I do not think we need to see the whole boot.  But, keep the color, I like seeing  the detail of the fur which I thinks the color helps.  I think you would get quite an array of answers to the question, “what is the cat thinking about”?

BTW Your little friend in your Id image is certainly dressed for Shark Tank!

Erik Fransman
      Participant

I like the Org image. Noth in Color and crop. With this title, which made me curious to see the image, I want to see the whole boot. Keep the org.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author

Rob is the founder of Light Stalking. His love for photography pushed him into building this fantastic place, and you can get to know him better here