Question – Entry Paying for Competitions

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat Question – Entry Paying for Competitions

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Dorothy
      Participant

Hi All: i get emails from a number of photography sites and this one https://www.lensculture.com/ currently is running a Street Photography Competition which looks actually inspiring and has a lot of awards, even benefits just for entering. (deadline April 24) Thing is, $20 for first entry then $10 for each additional.  i was always told to stay away from competitions that require a fee.  Would like to know what the consensus is here in Light Stalking.

Rob Wood (Admin)
      Keymaster

I am split on this one cos I see it from both sides.

If I run a comp here on LS, I would probably charge or else everyone would submit awful photos and it would take me weeks to get through them all to find the 100 good ones.

Or I could charge $1 and it would be 90% genuine attempts to win the comp.

On the other hand, there are a lot of good free comps. But lensculture has a reasonably good reputation from what I understand. Others may differ. 🙂

Dorothy
        Participant

Hi Rob:  I am becoming more comfortable here at LS and would not have an issue with a $1 entry fee per photo.  Maybe take a poll and see how many LSers would be seriously interested, but only after taking a lot of time to consider what it would take in time and effort, etc. for you to do such a thing.  (One thing I have not seen is anyone saying “ok the fee is and if we get 100 enteries we can offer a prize of … if not then either no contest or just personal reviews for winner(s)”).  Ok, just saying. 🙂

Kent DuFault
      Participant

I no longer enter photo contests that are heavily promoted online. It’s sad to say, but it truly is mostly about the promoting organization making money off of the process. I have two stories for you. Recently, I believe it was sometime last year… there was a large international photo contest that was reputed to have numerous ‘famous’ photographers who were advertised as the judges. Someone dug into it, and it was revealed that a number of the photographers that were advertised as judges were not involved at all with the contest and never saw a single entry. The second story is on a more personal level. I worked for an online company that is photography related- not Light Stalking and not Photzy. I worked for this company on a freelance basis for about 3 years. During my time there, I was an integral part of the idea development and decision making process for them to begin holding online photo contests. However, they had a twist. They also would hold a physical exhibition of the winning photographs. They started out producing one per quarter. The contests were so profitable for the company- that they are now producing almost one per week. These contests truly are about the money and not the art. Now, this company does do everything that they say they are going to do… so they are truly on the up and up. Think about this though… thousands and thousands and thousands of entries come in- with each one paying an entry fee. Only a handful win.

Dorothy
      Participant

Thanks for the input Rob Wood and Kent DuFault.

Tobie

I’m usually a little sceptical about paying for entering a competition. Firstly if you do not win then you still have no clue how your photo did overall so you’re non the wiser. Secondly I’ve seen aweful images winning paid photo competitions, making me wonder what really motivated the judges’ choice.

Compete in Viewbug. Extremely difficult to win but the winners are chosen by thousands of voting members. And Viewbug usually tells you how you’ve done. Something like “You’ve made the top 10% – your photo was placed ahead of 30,765 entries’. That gives you an idea at least of how your photo did.

John Thompson

I have posted a few pics on Viewbug.  As a consequence I get an email a day trying to get me more involved!  If I wanted to be more involved I would but do not nag me about it.  I think they lack members and use photo competitions to attract more people.  I am at a point that I think I will remove my pics and close my account.  Not worth the effort with the delete button.

Dorothy
          Participant

Thanks for the info John Thompson, I have felt your pain.  Please see my response to Tobie.

Dorothy
        Participant

Hi Tobie:  Honestly, I have to agree with John Thompson, I submitted to Viewbug for years (yes, years) and never got the kind of feed back like I have gotten here in LS in just a couple months.  I did remove my pictures and closed my account and still got emails about “how my photos are doing” for months after they were no longer on the site. 🙁   Didn’t give Guru that much time before I stopped entering there although they did seem to have a better system.  Thanks for sharing.

Anne Hornsby
      Participant

Very helpful discussion.  Thanks for introduing, Dorothy.

Federico Alegria
      Participant

Hi there Dorothy, I have a very solid position when it comes to contests and you can read it here:

What You Need to Know About Photo Contests Before You Enter

I did entered Lensculture’s once but because I knew they where going to return me a critique of my work, and it has actually been a very good help for me.

davidc
      Participant

Hi

The best comps are the ones in your local camera clubs. They give feed back on all the entries and they tend to have different experience levels. they also have inter club contests. Joining one is well worth it. Lots of other benefit as well. Most have a fee of some sort to join or have weekly subscriptions. Having said that i have not joined one yet.

🙂

Kent DuFault
        Participant

I have tried to join numerous local camera clubs or organizations over the years. My problem with them is that they are ALWAYS so politically charged. They remind me of high school- either you’re in or you’re out. It doesn’t matter about your level of interest in the subject at hand (photography). Being an extreme introvert, my experience with local clubs and organizations has been almost painful.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author