Red Flag Day

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Gary Zerbst 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Fujifilm X-T3
    Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II USM
    ƒ/5.6
    24.0 mm
    1/2000
    ISO 400

A nice breezy day off the west coast of the Algarve. I like watching crashing waves and tried to capture their power in this image. How can I improve on my approach?

_DSF0750_Xtrans copy-2.jpg

Robert Apple

I Spent some time in Oregon photographing the ocean and came back with a lot of wave photos I didnt like so I put a large study on this subject  Rob, what I came away with is to make the Wave your focus (The tallest thing in the photo preferably) and shoot from the lowest angle possible. There wasnt alot of realestate (pixels) to work with in your on line photo, but someting like this. It also hepls to have a boat or bouy or some objet to define scale there as well but it isn’t necessarily necessary.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Excellent point Robert. Thanks.

I have other images I haven’t processed yet and I’ll keep your point in mind. As for this one it’s also about it not being a swimming day so I think I’ll keep it even if I make a second version.

Frank
    Participant

Good suggestion, Robert.  Reminds me of the advice of a pro photographer commenting on a photo of a wave which was much like Rob’s original with various foreground elements as well as distant islands.  “if you want a photo of a wave, make a photo of the wave.”    Nevertheless, there is a place for the drama of an interesting place, a cliff looking over a beach, a rocky beach or shoreline, but that does change the subject from just being about the wave alone.  Your wave, Rob, is such a dramatic wave, I would definitely include the cropped version.

BTW, Rob, is your X -T3 firmware up-to-date?

https://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/xt3/index.html

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Thanks Frank. As I mentioned to Robert this image wasn’t only about the wave but his and your point is well taken.

I haven’t updated the X-T3 yet but it’s on the to do list. Thanks for checking that I was aware.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Hi Rob.  I am totally unqualified to comment on landscapes but why should that stop me?  I really like Robert’s crop.  I think your original is a you-had-to-be-there shot.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Thanks for commenting Lenny. You’re always qualified to share your ideas with me. Robert’s point is well taken. For me the wave, although good, just isn’t spectacular enough to stand out. Check out Dave Sandford’s work to see some good waves in the Great Lakes.

The Great Lakes

billyspad
    Blocked

Rob the crop works fine if you want a quite ho hum picture of a big wave. Stack it alongside the other 10 million taken yesterday on cameras and phones. The power of the sea and all that is a well traveled road.

Your original shot I think could be a wall hanger. Its too small as posted to work on but there is some incredible detail and color available in those rocks. The brown water needs a color shift and further detail revealed in the waves. Its all in the shot mate and its great. I guessed when I first saw it that LR had been used. Great for cataloging and initial editing but after that like taking a dump wearing an overcoat. Work on this selectively and at pixel level and you will print it large and hang it on ya wall

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Thanks Billy. I toyed with overdoing the rocks but wanted to keep the focus out on the crashing waves so the rocks were just kept as a frame. I agree with your comments about LR as cataloging software. It isn’t even good as a RAW convertor for Fuji RAF’s, although it works well for Canon’s RAW files. LR is good for applying camera color profiles, lens correction, SLIGHT initial detail and basic overall adjustments. I agree that PS rules after that.

I use PS for 95% of my editing so I gather from your comments that you think my skills are lacking. So be it. I lean more towards color accuracy and realism. You seem to like the more trippy 60’s thingy from the past. Different strokes for different folks. As for me…been there…done that…NEXT!  That isn’t brown water by the way it’s beach sand which is exactly that colour in Portugal, much like the soil colour in Georgia USA. Maybe ions ago the two places were attached before the plates drifted…who knows.

Thanks for your comments. I’ll keep trying to improve skills as I’ll never know it all.

billyspad
        Blocked

Oh Rob you sensitive little soul. Not for one moment would I ever suggest you lack skills in editing nor would I agree that my edit was trippy lol. Realism is fine if the camera has managed to capture what the eye saw and unless you have a magic camera that does not happen. The camera is a very poor tool compared to the human eye. And once you touch a slider in any software package accuracy and realism can be spoken of in the past tense. So here is the trippy interpretation I made of your post a few days back but did not publish as the sample was so small working at pixel level was very hard.

Rob Eyers
          Participant

Thanks for taking the time to edit my image Billy. I now see what you intended. It’s not the way those volcanic rocks actually looked when you were standing there, but at least it now conforms to your imagination.

Here’s a little help for you if you want to edit any of my images going forward. If you click on the image in my original post you’ll be taken to Flickr. In the lower right hand side of the dark area surrounding the image you’ll see a downward pointing arrow. When you click on that you can pick my originally posted size(usually 2048 pixels on the long side_sRGB) and open in PS. I never post original image sizes but it’s at least better than right clicking and copying the thumbnail here in LS. The LS thumbnail often tends to be a tiny bit darker than the Flickr version which is closer to the original.

Regarding cameras and eyes: Both have shortfalls. Eyes have retentive issues and they will deceive you when it comes to color and brightness. Measure these if you have any doubt.

squares and circles colour.jpg

squares and circles.jpg

That’s all for now from this sensitive little soul. I look forward to your next supercilious entry. 🙂

billyspad
          Blocked

I’ll try not to keep ya waiting too long fella!

Graham Hart
    Participant

I think some cropping may help focus on the wave as the main subject but as Billy points out, there’s a lot of texture and interest in the foreground too so somewhere halfway is my suggestion. As is, I find a lot of visual weight at the edges of the pic which dominate my peripheral vision a little too much. I thought by cropping out the rock on the right, the wave itself now balances the rock on the left which in turn brings the wave more into play rather than being more of a backgound element. I think the foreground rocks also act as an anchor to the roiling ocean as it crashes into them.

Robert’s points are spot on though about the angle of shot and making the wave more prominent without going too far so as to lose too much of the environment that created it. The brown sandy beach wash acts as a nice leading line out through the rocks to the ‘action’ beyond.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Thanks for your comments Graham. I had struggled with how much to leave on the sides and the bottom. I did want the rocks for the framing but as you point out, there may be a bit too much. I like what your crop brings but the wave now seems to crowd the right border a bit too much. Maybe the answer is somewhere in between? Some crops are so obvious and others are a real puzzle. Some further thought on this one is definitely required.

Gary Zerbst
    Participant

Perhaps photoshop in an appropiately sized human figure on the rock shelf on height  (but safely out of the wash away area.)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.