Rural Portraiture II.

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat Rural Portraiture II.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Dave Watkins
      Participant

Young wild turkey. I may be a little biased but I think the goat’s cuter.

• This topic was modified 3 months ago by Dave Watkins. Reason: punctuation
      Preston
      Participant

Personally I prefer this one over the goat, although I admit I’m biased.  A goat rammed me once as a kid and I haven’t liked them since.  Impressive shot here.  How’d you manage to sneak up on a turkey.  Whenever I see them, they bolt.

Dave Watkins
        Participant

Thanks for the comment Preston. Actually there was no sneaking up involved here. I have to chase them out of my yard every day. At least twice a day. Shot taken with a zoom set at 210mm on APS-C camera. Cropped about 75%.  The biggest difference was my goat stood still for her portrait and the turkeys never stop moving. 🙂

beth
      Participant

the goat is cuter, but you managed to make a pretty good photo out of a butt ugly bird.  the shallow dof and the eye (and reflection in the eye) is what makes this a great photo for me.

Dave Watkins
        Participant

Thanks for your feed back beth. The phrase “a face only a mother could love” comes to mind. The clarity and that hint of golden color in the eye is what I like here as well. Although slightly distracting I also like that other turkey in the background as a color balance. The larger, softer reflection on the left side of the eye is actually the south end of our double wide.  🙂

Tobie

Nice clear shot Dave!

P71
      Participant

Can only add i like it as others , nice details and love the eye .. More sweet work Dave 🙂

Dave Watkins
        Participant

Thanks for the comment Patrick. 🙂

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Another nice one Dave.

Turkeys were nearly wiped out here in southern Ontario but they have been reintroduced and are doing very well…maybe too well. 🙂

Dave Watkins
        Participant

Thanks Rob. I think that happened in a lot of areas. Wild turkey numbers declining then with a little help came roaring back in unanticipated fashion. A couple of years ago they had to take drastic action here in one Eugene neighborhood when a large flock of turkeys got so aggressive the postman couldn’t deliver the mail. 🙂

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.