Scottish Highland Dancing (not as you know it!)

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank Scottish Highland Dancing (not as you know it!)

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Mistyisle
      Participant

Well the settings for those ready to attack this masterpiece are f5.6; 1/3rd sec; 100mms;  ISO100.  The sharks will soon be threshing about  ….. but I have full confidence in the more discerning amongst them!

billyspad
      Blocked

Mmmmm I assume these people are at the local Hop as they all seem to have one leg. Or was it a Prosthetic’s R Us organized event?

Anonymous

I think motion blur can be a good thing. In the case, in my very humble and unskilled opinion, It’s to much of a good thing.

Dorothy
      Participant

Mistyisle:  well, i think a little sharpness might help.  maybe bring out a face or two.  i have to agree with Craig that there may be a little too much blur.  i think as viewers we need a little something to focus on. it looks like you were trying to show how fast they were all moving.

3pco
      Participant

On the positive side, I think this is a brilliant utilization of a long exposure to turn a snapshot of somebody’s kids at dance class into something that at least aspires to evoke a Degas ballerina. Kudos. I humbly disagree that it’s too blurred. I think that’s the whole point and I like the way the blurred dancers contrast with the (almost) sharp lines of the floor.

On the negative side, the stoop-shouldered old men in the back just aren’t doing it for me, Jim. They contribute to your diagonal, but you could get a compo without them. Go back to dance class, take this idea and run with it. Sweet.

Graham Hart
      Participant

I like the effect you have created with the blur Mistyisle but I think with tight framing like this, it becomes a little bit of an overload on the senses. I don’t think the effect itself is strong enough to carry the image alone in such a close up view, particularly with the girls expressions blurred out too.

Which is the long way of simply saying I think the dancing group would benefit from a little breathing space so they are part of a bigger picture rather than the whole picture….a wider shot in other words. Perhaps even a static object off to the side somewhere (person, furniture etc) in sharper focus to balance the image out and provide an anchor to their movement?

Mistyisle
      Participant

Some great comments, everyone, I enjoyed reading and appreciated them all.  Here is my updated effort!  🙂  Because the curtain at the back showed as black, I tried a blend mode of screen, which showed that the curtain is a grey-(purple?).  In fact in the end I employed three blend mode layers – all ‘screen’ at 100% to get this effect on the curtains!  Wow.

Petr Nowak
      Participant

I like intentionally blured photos. However its very hard to get proper result. It needs many trials-errors because the right monet is a matter of luck.

Here I feel the visual absence of one leg as strange/inappropriate.

Lenny Wollitz
      Participant

I like it on a big screen but could do without the people in the BG.

Philip Watts
      Participant

I think it might have benefited from a lower angle if that were possible. Might have made the viewer feel more involved.

Great to try these things out and worthy of praise for that alone!

Phil

Frank
      Participant

Frank
      Participant

or this……

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar