Selfie with Massive Erosion

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank Selfie with Massive Erosion

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Anne Hornsby
      Participant

I struggled how to depict the huge scale of this coastline, and was fascinated by this area of enormous erosion at Point Arena.   Is the person too small to communicate this?   Cropping: this image is about 1/2 to 2/3 of original.  Details show better in Flkr.

f/7.1 , 1/400, ISO 64, 30 mm   (taken from top of lighthouse)

Selfie with Massive Erosion

Erik Fransman
      Participant

Anne, I agree, the scale does not come across.
      Maybe you should crop it even more, another 50%.
      Then you get to see and feel the scale.
      Your image copies too small to show a good result (control + you can zoom in, it gets very blurry but you get an indication of the result).

billyspad
      Blocked

From this viewpoint you have a tiny person and a feeling that the rocks may be big but no feeling or indication that they are huge and massive erosion has taken place. You have ended up with a little person looking out to sea from some sort of observation platform. Cannot see how any cropping suggestion is going to solve the problem that your viewpoint was in no way ideal to get your message across.

Erik Fransman
        Participant

Billy, if you crop it more AND YOU VIEW IT ON A FAIR SIZE than you get to see the enormity of the rocks vs the person. (The erosion does not come across, I agree)

billyspad
          Blocked

Its better cropped for sure Erik but still falls short of what Anne says she was trying to depict.

Erik Fransman
            Participant

True. But if you can’t get what you want, change what you want. 🙂

Gary Zerbst
      Participant

I’m not sure how to do it but (IMHO) the tiny figure needs to be somehow emphasized.  I had to look really hard to  find the selfie person

locally higher contrast?  blended in more exposure ?   Locally more color saturation?   Vignette centered on the person?     All the above?

Petr Nowak
      Participant

I feel the diagonal layout of rocks as unnatural. I feel it needs to be leveled. Concerning the huge scale I’m not sure. Depends on size of print. I like colors (grass, rocks, sea).

Anne Hornsby
      Participant

Thanks, Erik, Billy, Gary, Petr.     My takeaway is that I needed a different lens (not a wide angle with max 30mm) and to be shooting from a different vantage, perhaps mid-way up the lighthouse to make the person appear larger, instead of from the top.

It was interesting to me that you all didn’t see erosion.    I had the benefit of a faded photo inside the lighthouse of what the top circular area looked like in 2005.    The top has split open and the sides are collapsing.

Extremely good composition idea, but I am not sure if you nailed it. Possibly brighten up the person? Agree with Gary’s assessment.

This is definitely worth another shoot if you get the chance.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar