Shoeshine guy

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Lenny Wollitz 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Around our central plaza are about 15 of these guys.  They do much more than shine shoes including many type of repairs.  I have been working on this guy for several years but haven’t seen a smile yet.

Barb
    Participant

Hi, Lenny. I’m a newbie, so I’m trying to learn from pros such as yourself. I love your subject and all the detail. Personally, I would love to have a closer view of this character but if you crop the photo you might lose the story.I’m curious if you took a closer shot and if you would share it? Thanks.

Mario
    Participant

Hello and thanks for sharing.

I’m not so sure about that HDR like editing done to the photo. Would also desaturate the green from the trees which are pretty distracting.

All the best.

JasenkaG
    Keymaster

Hello Lenny, I wouldn’t use HDR in this case, but maybe that’s just my preference. I would like to see the original version of this image.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

I like your framing choices Lenny. It does have a bit of pop to it, but that’s kind of your style. The sky looks like it’s been burned a bit too much. I get why you did it but it looks too processed IMHO.

Mistyisle
    Participant

Be interesting to see it in B&W Lenny.

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Hi Lenny, I would give the image a bit more warmth.
    But that is not the problem for me. The problem for me is that he is looking to the right (camera right).
    Looking at the camera (you) or at his radio/walkman in his hand would both have been fine. Now it’s impersonal.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Thanks for the comments everyone.  I was going to use this in a show that I’m doing here and it was to be about 20 feet from the viewers so I pumped it up a bit… probably too much.  It has to be in color.  I think I will look for something else.

Beth, basically, I’m just a street photographer.   I like to show the environment.  For me anyway, many times cropping turns a street shot into a portrait.

Eric, I was grasping at straws with this one.  I need to spend more time with these guys so they become comfortable with me shooting them.  Now I just need to find the time.  How was there ever time for a job before I retired!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.