sidewalk patterns f/5.6, 1/125 SS, 50 ISO b&w using Silver Efex

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank sidewalk patterns f/5.6, 1/125 SS, 50 ISO b&w using Silver Efex

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Dorothy 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Dorothy
    Participant

This is my first attempt trying Silver Efex Pro, using the 30 day trial to see how it goes.  i submitted the photo in color to this weekend challenge because as soon as i read what it was this came to mind. i did take it a long time ago and i still love it.  Now for b&w – it may take a while to get used to the software but i like all the choices and the fact that once i pick a style i can still adjust it.

sidewalk patterns f/5.6, 1/125 SS, 50 ISO

Tom M
    Participant

Love this photo,love the processing, your best so far…

Dorothy
      Participant

Thanks Tom M: i have to say the improvements are due in large part to the critiquing that i have received here in the ST.

Mistyisle
    Participant

You made a very good choice, IMHO, Dorothy.  The conversion brings things out very well.  My guess, High Structure, Harsh?

I would hate to be without Silver Efex, am sure some of my competition wins in B&W have been because I start out with it …… and sometimes don’t even have to fiddle with the result!

Dorothy
      Participant

So close Mistyisle!  High Structure, Smooth.  (IMHO?)  So far all i hear about Silver Efex is really good.

Maureen Photograph
    Participant

It’s very good, I like it.

I found the bottom part blurry and not adding much to the photo, so I cropped it, as well as a tad from the sides.  Also made a few tweaks, overall the image is just a bit dark for me, so I lightened it in PS using a Levels adjustment, and applied it to the image, except around the edges.  Thus it now has perhaps very subtle vignette.

Dorothy
      Participant

Thank you Maureen Photograph.  Definitely needed the crop, good eye. Looks good but i seem to be drawn to slightly darker b&w editing.  Anne Hornsby (next comment) did a little more cropping and enhanced the shadows on the sidewalk.  Between both your edits i think it has gotten to a really nice photo.

Anne Hornsby
    Participant

Dorothy great contrast in B&W with this image.   I agree with Maureen’s crop especially because it brings focus on the shadow of the 1st tree.   I also suggest you think about cropping left to delete the lower left triangle and the car wheel.   (This leaves you with a custom aspect ratio, which I guess is a no-no , though I’m not sure.)    I also enhanced the contrast in the sidewalk shadows.

Dorothy
      Participant

Thank you Anne Hornsby the additional cropping and enhanced shadows on the sidewalk have gotten this to a really nice photo.  i am trying to use proper crop ratio but honestly, too often i end up with custom ratio, so no worries.  Thank you to both Maureen Photograph and yourself for the edits and input.

Frank
    Participant

Yes. I like the crop, Anne, and, Dorothy, I like the way the white flowers are so white, adding a nice “glow”.    With camera on a tripod and remote shutter release, you could have walked well beyond halfway down the side walk,  so as not to block out too many patterns or shadows on the walk, and included yourself as an element of interest.   At least you could see if a person in the photo may also work.

Dorothy
      Participant

Hi Frank: i too thought people might work so i did take some people just walking along but felt they took away from what had caught my eye to begin with which was the repeating patterns and shadows. thanks for the thought. 🙂

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Dorothy, your BW processing is progressing nicely! However, as far as composition goes, without your title I wouldn’t know what to look at. You have leading lines going to nothing and a flag with a partial word on it that grabs my eye but is not very interesting.  I prefer to have an obvious subject, usually a person but I’m just a street photographer.

Dorothy
      Participant

Thanks Lenny:  true, i definitely need to work on my composition, mostly i shoot with feeling, this was a beautiful spring day and the walkway made me want to just walk along underneath the trees and shadows and enjoy the day. oh, and you are not “just” a street photographer. 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.