Skeleton Tree

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Joanna
      Participant

Hi all,
      It’s been a while since my last post here, it could well be over a year now…
      But recently I was in the nature park “Hoge Venen” @Belgium, looking for the skeleton trees of Flahay. And I came back with this photo. Looking fwd to your feedback!
      Kind regards and my best wishes for 2020,
      Joanna

HogeVenen-5<script async src=”//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>
      <div id=”ConnectiveDocSignExtentionInstalled” data-extension-version=”1.0.4″></div>

• This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Joanna.
      Frank
      Participant

Well, I am a sucker for photos of lone trees, and you found a nice one, a unique shape.  Next time think of getting down a bit lower, kneeling or even lying down.  The aim would be to get the background be all sky.  Notice how much more detail you can see in the tree with the section that has sky in the background when compared to the lower section of the tree that has land behind it.  A step to your right and the tree would have been all in the open sky, rather that clipping off the end of that big looming background cloud!   I see that you have made nice use of the rule of thirds, but when you have a motionless subject like this tree, try a composition with it right in the middle.  This tree is really just “going upwards”  pointing to the sky. Just give it room to point.  However, if it had a lot of branches only on the left side, your placement would be fine.  Also, ask yourself, do I want that small tree of twigs in the image?  What does it add to my image?

My first point comes under the composition element of “separation”.  Separate foreground subject from background elements.   In this case giving separation of the tree from the ground in the background gives more definition to the outline of the tree, your main subject.  In other situations separation can give depth to a photo.  An example, would be of a photo of a large barn in the foreground and a small shed in the background.  If the edge of the barn wall overlapped with the front wall of the shed, the shed might appear attached to the barn.  But, if there were space left between the barn and the shed, the shed would clearly be in the background.   Oh yes, the classic example would be a background fountain rising up out a person’s head who is standing in front of the fountain.  Hope that helps and keep on looking for the lonesome trees!

Steve Walker
        Participant

Not my image but I appreciate the detailed critique here. Good advice for all.

I might have tried (hope I would have) a portrait orientation since most of the background adds little to the image. That might emphasize the height (pointing and reaching up, as trees do) rather than the expanse– not the real subject. The couple of steps to your right is also good, freeing the background from the cloud.

These subjects are harder than they appear. Look engaging live but not as easy in a photograph.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Hi Joanna, welcome back 🙂

I love skeleton trees as well and this image is beautiful. Love the vastness of the landscape.

I agree with Frank’s suggestions.

At what focal length did you shoot this image? A wider perspective would have been better with a bit more foreground.

Also, there is a halo on the tip of the tree. Not sure if that is due to brushing in that area. Maybe erase the areas that look bright.

Look forward to more of your work!

Great to have you back @joanna – was wondering where you got to! 😉

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.