Sleeping Beauty

This topic contains 21 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Tom M 7 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Graham Hart
    Participant

I was taking a pic of this Moreton Bay Fig tree when this young child and her grandmother wandered into the shot. The grandmother then turned and saw me and apologised for walking into the shot. I said “It’s fine, people make for better shots. Do you mind if I take a photo with you two in it?” She said “Certainly”. I took the shot but after I reviewed it in PS, I decided that because she had her back to me and she was standing right next to the girl, the grandmother was a bit a distraction from the girl pretending to be asleep. I photoshopped her out of the pic in the end. It’s not the best quality but I like the cuteness factor.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

Nice! I wonder how this would look in monochrome?

Graham Hart
      Participant

You made me wonder too Kent so fired up the Topaz.

B&W with vignetting to lift the lightplay;

MBF's 11

…and a Van Gogh effect which worked well on the trees…

MBF's 09

Kent DuFault
        Participant

Interesting. It has a very fanciful fairytale feel to it after your special effects and conversion. I like it. Do you like it better than the color?

Graham Hart
          Participant

Its a bit over the top I guess but I do love the dappled light on the girl and tree roots. The light through the backround trees could be toned down a bit I think. ‘Fairytale’ is a good word to describe the mood/atmosphere in this version.

I tried a straight monchrome conversion using PS presets but I thought it lost something…not unlike the recent discussions on the Glade Creek Grist Mill.

Sadly, when I upgraded to the subscription package of PS, I lost my free version Nik filters which I would have liked to use to check out some B&W conversions as I thought they were excellent.

Robert Apple

I like the Black n White Graham.

Robert Apple

She is like a bug on a stick, good way to show the perspective of size.

Graham Hart
      Participant

I thought I’d spend a few hours in our Botanic Gardens because I knew there were huge Moreton Bay Fig trees in there which I wanted to capture. This tree was outside the entrance gate to the gardens just in the parklands across the road.

John Thompson

Nice Graham and yes it does have a cuteness factor.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thanks John. Pity she didn’t know about the rule of thirds and move down that trunk  about 3 feet 🙂

Frogdaily
        Participant

You could actually move her down – I played with it and she snugs right into that crevasse in the roots perfectly at the lower 3rd intersection. 🙂

Tom M
    Participant

I do like the B&W. Has a mystical feel to it…

beth
    Participant

she adds a lot of perspective to the image, i would have never guessed the roots were that large.  great shot.

Frogdaily
    Participant

I hesitated to add an example as this is not the Shark Tank Graham; however, in that you asked Here is the quick edit.   I cloned the girl to the lower 3rd intersection sweet spot – for me even tho the girl is the same size she looks a little smaller and it accents the magnificent size of the roots in the tree even more.  I also took the liberty and cloned out a couple cars in the background and added a little warmer tones.  See if you like it.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Great cloning job Frogdaily! Seamlesss transition. I like your edit in the colour version because she’s almost an adornment to the tree and as you say, she makes the roots seem even bigger in the lower position.
      I think I prefer her in the original position in the B&W version though where she is the strong focal point and the tree has lost some detail.

Thanks for showing me this, I appreciate the effort 🙂

Frogdaily
        Participant

You are welcome Graham ?

Kent DuFault
      Participant

Very nice Belinda!

Tom M
    Participant

Good  job Belinda. I like the location where she is placed a lot better… Nice catch of this photo too Graham…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.