Smokie Mountain sunrise

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank Smokie Mountain sunrise

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Jeff Horton
      Participant

Spent the Holidays in the Smoky Mountains at a family get together. I knew the photography would be hard to get anything original and it was!  This was the best image but I am not happy with it.

I think the light and view are great but I think the image is lacking.

• No clear focal point so my eyes wander around to much.
      • No foreground interest. I tried to find something but nothing but scrub of tree tops.

I edited it because it was the best one but I am not really crazy about but I am my worst critic.  Would love to hear what you would have done.

Steve Walker
      Participant

Not sure what you were hoping for. This is a sweeping landscape, typical of high vantage points in the Smokey’s and Blue Ridge. For some reason, I can’t enlarge the image. The time of day is a bit early so you have a lot of dark. You might not have had a more colorful sky and better light on the ridges. The highlights in the hollers is nice. I might try to warm them up a bit (adjust white balance).  I might try to lighten the ridges as well, especially where there is green rather than the more distant blues. A bit of drama might result from cropping to a panorama. I would probably crop out the white cloud top and reduce the foreground ridge to accomplish this. The dark make this a bit unusual– not so much your typical sunrise image. Use it to remember the feeling of the cool morning air and the thrill of being present.

Mistyisle
      Participant

I really like what I can see, Jeff.   I think that you are too hard, and demanding, of yourself.  Would like to see a larger image, though.  Did click on it and it remained the same size.  The lighter spots in the right place, to me, make the image.  Also the lighter area – top left, which should be a no/no.   Well done indeed!

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Hi Jeff, I like the light falling in the valleys. I agree with Mistyisle’s comment about the top from left to about half way through being bright. Would be nice to have more details in there 🙂

Also, not sure what settings you used to shoot. The image looks a bit soft and noisy.

Jeff Horton
      Participant

Thanks for the input.  I tried to link to a Flickr image and it worked at first, but  now now and I don’t know why? But here is a link. Just realized it is reduced to 1200×1200 so it doesn’t help much. I don’t have a full res. image on line at the moment.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kudzupatch/49169323608

I used to Post under the user name Kudzu but have haven’t been active on here in over a year.  I tried to log in and refused to accept my password and it will not send me the email to recover my password so I had to create a new account. Sent a note to the admin but just silence there too.

• This reply was modified 5 days, 10 hours ago by Jeff Horton.
      • This reply was modified 5 days, 7 hours ago by Jeff Horton.
      Jeff Horton
      Participant

Went back and looked and (of course) you guys were right. The top left was blown out. I can’t believe I missed that. I always turn on the exposure indicator and aim to have a tiny amount blown out and totally underexposed so I know I have the full tonal range. Obvious somewhere along the line  I goofed.

Decided to take another stab at the edit. Used a more panoramic crop. Fixed the blown out sky. Tweaked a few other things and I like this version better. Still find the lack of a focal point bothers me. Never like whey eyes wander around and don’t rest on anything.

SJH_0323_06

Petr Nowak
      Participant

I feel the image unbalanced: the top is very bright and central part of image is dark. It leads my eyes to the top and the main part i.e. mountain ridges remain out of attention.
      I’d definitely wait for better light to have some light rays on the central part of image. And crop out the top bright part.
      I cant’ see large version of image. Maybe it looks better in bigger view…

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

@kudzupatch Hi Jeff, we reply to all the emails. Please drop us a line at @lightstalking.com">support@lightstalking.com with the email address of your old account and we will look into it.

Jeff Horton
      Participant

Thank you but it is resolved now. Can use my original username again.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.