Springtime Fog

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Michael
      Participant

Early AM, unusual fog for our area. Nikon D3400.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

@mgdarling Hi Michael, love this image – the soft mood and the subtle colours make this image.

The only thing I would change is, the little bit of a tree that is on the left. Maybe crop it? Not sure what you think 🙂

Michael
        Participant

I agree, cropping that little tree on the left would be a great change. Thanks!

Ed
      Participant

Michael, when I see something like this, I want to see it in a greatly-enlarged format, maybe printed on white stainless steel or glass. I think of landscape photography as the opportunity to capture the play of light off water in the air as well as on the ground.  Some sharpening, a bigger image, an accentuation of the foreground in a way that brings out the band of subtle yellow/pink/gold, a darker tree.  But I’m happy with the wya it is.

Michael
        Participant

Thank you for the advice! Future food for thought which I am happy to undertake.

billyspad
      Blocked

Lovely peaceful sort of scene and the subtlety of the colors and the nice capture of the light work really well. For me the viewpoint you have chosen stops it from being something I can see hanging on a wall. It looks like a road in the foreground and it may have been better to seek a point to shoot from where just grass or similar led to the waters edge.

Michael
        Participant

Actually, there is no water. It’s a cornfield before planting, with last years cut off, dried up corn stalks. I agree the road is a distraction. Thank you!

Frank
      Participant

A peaceful, serenity photo.  I like the colors and the misty mood.  Yes, try cloning out the small tree for a look, but it does not bother me.  I think there is enough of the tree showing that shows it was not included by mistake.  It stops my eye from leaving the page and sends me back to the main subject, the large tree.  There is a weird bar like mark on it though that you should get out of there.  Remember if you use the “spot healing brush tool”  if you click one end of a straight line object and while holding down the shift key, click on the other end, the tool will create a straight line along the object and do its work.  (BTW an easy way to get rid of wire lines)

Here I just played with the color a bit, trying to get cyan in the sky a bit more blue,

a little more red along the red line of the sky, a bit more green in the grass to the right of the tree, a bit more light behind the tree and a few strokes of dodge to lighten the brown grasses just a bit hoping o show just a little more detail without adding much light.  Hopefully you might not even notice the changes.    Just a slightly different look to this nice photo.   I also cropped up from the bottom a bit.  I did not want to get rid of the road totally, because doing that does not seem to give the tree enough ground under it. (IMHO)

Then just for a totally different look I punched up the reds, but I do not like what that did to the road!   Recently in ACR I have been playing with the color sliders found under “camera calibration”.  They must be tied somehow to the RGB color channels, because when I boost the blues, for example, the colors do change quite a bit, whereas, in a selective color adjustment or in color balance, the blue sliders do not effect the same photo when blues are not very evident.

Frank
      Participant

Michael
      Participant

Thank you for the feedback. I really appreciate it!

Falxy
      Participant

Hi Michael………..decent shot! 🙂

too improve i would suggest cropping/cloning out the l/h branches that are not adding but distracting

Michael
      Participant

Thanks Falxy! I apreciate your comment.

Michael

Graham Hart
      Participant

I think I like your original version best because of the soft misty tones. Had a play with it to try and bring out the tree against the sunset but I think it lost something in the process?

Michael
      Participant

Thank you so much for your input!

Michael

Petr Nowak
      Participant

I like your subtle colors and misty mood. However the road is a little bit distracting. Concerning composition the tree needs more space in my opinion.

Michael
      Participant

Thank you, I’m still learning about composition and appreciate your feedback.

Michael

Maureen Photograph
      Participant

It is a lovely image.  Here’s my take with a few tweaks. I added and subtracted space where I felt it needed, and adjusted color, etc.  and used Glamour Glow in Nik.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.