Sunday morning

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      tom dinning
      Blocked

_D3S1875.jpg by tom dinning on Light Stalking

The house is quiet. Christine is still in bed. The grand kids will be on their way. Last minute dash to annoy someone. That seems to come natural to me, although I’m buggered if I know why.
      @drus is always at odds with me. the Toad seems to think he can just swim over any time and visit. I’ve been banned from the best forums. Now, within a day or two I’ve got death threats out on me.

BAck to the dungeon for me then.

Karen Amendola
      Participant

I like the moodiness, @tomdinning. Not sure I would want to hop this train. I always find webs so difficult to photograph. Is manual focus the way to go?

tom dinning
      Blocked

Hi @karamen.
      Never use manual focus for every day shots. Just pick what I want in focus and use focus lock if it’s outside the range of those little red squares in the frame. You’re talking to the laziest photographer on the planet.
      Besides, it’s not the webs necessarily that need to be in focus. Or should be. Each to their own here. What sort of an image might it have been if I had focused on the background instead?

Karen Amendola
      Participant

Ahhh….focus lock. That’s one of the bells and whistles I haven’t figured out how to use yet. I just find every time I try to photograph a web, the Auto focus wants to go right through it. But that was last summer. Hopefully, I have improved in a year.

Adrienne Siebert
      Participant

Nice web @tomdinning

@karamen: While you figure out the focus locking, you may want to try back button focus too, if it is not the same thing. It takes some getting used to, but I haven’t found a reason to go back to shutter button focusing since I swithced it over. I don’t think I ever will. I find it easier this way. Now my shutter button is used as an exposure lock while I lock the focus with the back button. 😉

tom dinning
      Blocked

Either way, @bugadrienne. Half depress shutter or back button. I can give you one reason for not using it. A dicky thumb as a result of injury and arthritis. I can just manage the control dial on the Nikon with it.
      I was demonstrating the process with some students this week and it took me a great deal of restraint not to scream. Oh, to be young again.

Karen Amendola
      Participant

Thanks, @bugadrienne and @tomdinning. I will be getting out the manual next week when I get a few minutes. Hope this old dog can learn some new tricks.

Dru Stefan Stone
      Participant

Oooo…while those questions are good (and BTW, I love manual focus when I need to get a little bit closer than auto focus can manage on its own, there is always a little more in your camera in macro than autofocus can manage) the moody dungeon-like feel is what makes this photograph terrific. Now see, @tomdinning you can produce “feeling.” 😉
      Hmmmm….maybe it is from spending so much time in that dungeon of yours??? teehee

The Falx
      Participant

Tom as usual an image saying something to the viewer and about the author….peace 🙂

Aaron Geis
      Participant

Why am I here,

cold in the damp air,

spiders, eew!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar