Sunflower take 50

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Renee P
      Participant

1/30, f/11, ISO600   what do you think of these two?

1/30, f/18, iso 600

beth
      Participant

i like the tones, color and processing on the second one better.  i’d be tempted to give it a matte edit to tone down the contrast in the center of that one.  it reminds me of how an image looks when you turn the clarity slider up too high, but i know it’s just the variation of the light and dark tones in such a small space.

the color looks a little muddy and warm on the first one.  it’s probably not readily apparent when viewed alone, but next to the one underneath it i prefer the second.  the tones are a little darker on the first one too.  the tones are light and airy on the second, esp. the sunlit petals, on the first the petals don’t stand out as much.  even the center is darker in the first.

as for composition, the first one sits better in the frame.  i’d try to flip it upside down (or rotate 180 degrees) so that there’s more space between the bottom edge and the center of the sunflower than how it is now so that it’s weighted.  it may not work for this one after the fact, but when framing your image in the camera try to keep that in mind.  having the sunflower on a slight angle, sitting it on the side of the image looking in is a great comp.

the position of the second one could work as a comp. if you showed the entire flower.  cutting off the bottom, esp. at the center, is awkward.  and cutting off the tips of the petals at the top isn’t working too well either.  this could work with a much tighter crop if the center was in a corner with petals radiating outwards.

what camera & focal length were you using?  the dof is really shallow on the second for f/18.  i’m not saying it isn’t possible, it just looks shallow for that aperture assuming the size and distance from the sunflower.  it’s not exactly macro work.  the image shot at f/18 seems to have a shallower dof than the one shot at f/11, and the f/11 shot looks like it was taken closer to the flower than f/18 (assuming you didn’t crop).  i would have opened that up a bit and increased the shutter speed.

normally i’d do this in lightroom, but since it’s a jpg i’m working in ps.  i added a curves layer, hit auto while holding in the alt button and then picked enhance per channel contrast.  i set the blending mode to luminosity and decreased the opacity.

• This reply was modified 3wk, 5d ago by beth.
      Renee P
      Participant

@beth thank you for all your feedback especially compositions tips.  I’m pretty new to this so that helps a great deal.

beth
        Participant

what camera and lens were you using?  what was focal length?

Graham Hart
      Participant

Hi Renee, from a composition perspective I think the ultra-close up crop with the leaf tips cut off leaves only the central brown area as the main focus in these pics. The petals seem to be supporting actors to the brown central area. The question is; “Is this interesting enough to hold one’s attention?” Perhaps not. Given the beautiful subject you have captured, maybe a little thinking outside the square to find something different in the scene. One thought I had was to flip the pic and zoom in even more in order to decentralise to centre brown area and give the other parts equal billing…so to speak. Not sure what you think?

Renee P
      Participant

@grahamhart  That is a different perspective…..I like it!  Great for me to see other options to try.  Thank  you!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author