The Archer (critique)

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Fred Furze
      Participant

The Archer

I would love to hear comments on the compositional aspects of this photo. To me it works, but I would love to hear objective points of view as well, and if you feel it doesn’t, why.

ISO 200
      85mm lens
      f/3.2
      1/250 sec.

I took this photo a few weeks ago at a medieval festival nearby. Lots of interesting characters to photograph at these events, and everyone is usually very willing to get their photos taken, so it makes it so much easier.

Thanks in advance

P Marione
      Blocked

Nice pic.
      IMO nothing to change.

x
      Participant

I’m no pro, but I like it, too!

caimi
      Participant

Why is there an arrow in the model’s mouth? What is it that “works” for you? The b&w processing is very pleasing and the model is composed nicely but the content leaves me scratching my head.

Fred Furze
      Participant

Thanks to all. @caimi this is what I was unsure about. When I took the photo the concept was clear. She was shooting arrows at a target, and putting the next to be shot arrow in her mouth. When she saw me taking a picture she posed. I purposely placed myself so that her head was in front of the black area in the background, so her wild hairs would be contrasted against it, but without the context, that was clear to me at the time (and somehow still in my mind is clear to me), the arrow in the mouth may make absolutely no sense at all. When I look at this photo I almost see the rest of her holding the bow with an arrow in it just below, but to anyone else it may just look like a girl with a “for whatever reason” arrow in her mouth.

Unfortunately, (or fortunately!) I only had the 85mm lens, so I could not zoom out to get more of her body. I love the image, but the arrow may be one of those things that makes it make absolutely no sense at all without a little more context.

Thanks for commenting.

x
      Participant

Hmmm, IMO, without the arrow in her mouth, she is just another lovely looking woman. *With* the arrow, the viewer asks questions, wonders what’s going on – in other words, becomes engaged. It might possibly have been better if the whole arrow was in the picture…….but ……

P Marione
      Blocked

I agree, I like the arrow. She is not another kid.

Lenny Wollitz
      Participant

I didn’t like this at first but it has been growing on me. Even if you could I don’t think zooming out would improve it. I like the mystery.

Fred Furze
      Participant

I guess I’m not so crazy then. Thank you all for your comments.

Lenny Wollitz
      Participant

No one said anything about the status of your sanity 😉

Tony Beginn
      Participant

Why could’nt you zoom out? Legs were invented befor zoom lenses. I remember someone much smarter than me saying “If you need to explain the picture, its not right” That is different to a record shot that is for your own consumption.

Fred Furze
      Participant

@tonyb55 – I can’t say that I am as skilled as I would like to be to control all these things well. All I can say is that I was using an 85mm lens on a crop sensor camera, which makes it a significant zoom, and that when I stepped back enough to get more of the body, I was so far back that she didn’t even know I was there. I took several shots like that which caught more of her body but only the back of her head. When I got closer she noticed I was there and became more engaged, but at that point I could only get this much of her body. Plus, the more I stepped back the more that other people walked across the frame.

I intentionally took the 85mm to force myself to take portraits, and to get more practice with this lens. In this case I wished I could have zoomed out a little, but such is life… Overall I am happy with what I got.

I am not sure that the person you quoted is right. That would eliminate the photographs of all conceptual photographers or abstracts, etc. I see your point as it applies to this photograph, but I would not take that as a rule-of-thumb. As it applies to this photo, that was exactly my concern as well. I love the image. I find it very pleasing, I love the tones and textures, and I love the pose, but wondered if the arrow in the mouth without more context might have been confusing, or detract from the photograph overall. I guess it must to some extent.

Tersha
      Keymaster

I agree with @joanna, without the arrow, she’s just another pretty woman, nothing wrong with that, per se,……but with the arrow, her strange mode of dress, her wild hair and the look in her face, I find you have to look again and become engaged with the shot.

MYRK
      Participant

Back off people ! Much of it seem intimidating

@fredf
      , this is great picture and infact the arrow in her mouth is the thing in this picture which differentiates it for a normal Head & Shoulder portrait shot, it also leaves me guess about what was going on at the scene.

Fred Furze
      Participant

Thank you @myrk . but none of it was intimidating, and after all this is the Shark Tank. Trust me, I have given out strong opinions myself, and I have no problem receiving them. Everything I have heard is absolutely valid and exactly the objective opinions I was looking for.

Thank you for your comments, and for everyone’s opinions as well.

Fred

Sebastian Rusam
      Participant

Hey @fredf . I generally like the shot and have no problem with the content. But i dont like the cropping too much. It feels cramped up. Especially because her face is clearly turned to her left but you have the same amount of space between her head and the frame on both sides.
      I would have maybe proposed to get the whole arrow in the picture (the most important part, the tip, is cut off) to make the picture appear more free and open and not so tight.

Felix Bonomo
      Participant

I have no problem with the arrow in her teeth. It brings a subtle sexuality to the composition. What I consider distracting is the lock of hair that crosses her face and goes across her nose. It disturbs the beauty of the face, and is distracting.

Stewart
      Participant

MOD: @myrk thank you for the vocalising your concerns, though you may leave the moderating duties to the moderators. Please commit your comments to critiquing, leave the house work to us.
      Thanks in advance.

kalpana
      Participant

I am a No pro but IMO this photo would have been perfect if you were able to capture a little more of a context to tell a broader story. As you said, i too wished you had a different lens that gave you the freedom to zoom out a little. Also, if the eyes had little more brightness, it might have helped raising the interest?? I feel it this way maybe because i prefer a little more brightness in my photos.
      Overall i liked the photo.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author