The Construction Guy

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank The Construction Guy

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  billyspad 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

billyspad
    Blocked

60th Sec

ISO 100

Focal Length 40mm

bucweeet
    Participant

I find the title is not relate-able to the image itself billspad, rather it is a portrait of a guy.  As for the image itself, I might be tempted to crop at the bottom so the railing is not visible as it distracts/draws my eyes down too much.

billyspad
    Blocked

Point taken about bottom railing but to my eye that leaves him sorting of floating. I thought the ledge grounded him. The title I suppose comes from the fact I was there and saw it was a new house construction he had been working on. Thought the building site type background and his liberal covering of brick dust may have given that away.

May I take this opportunity to wish all a Happy New Year

bucweeet
    Participant

After moving the web browser window up and down so that the railing is alternately hidden/shown, I understand what you’re saying regarding ‘grounding him’.

Laura Kneedler
    Participant

I might tighten it by cropping the image.  I love his expression – overall great image.

Tom M
    Participant

I like the retro film type look of this image…

Graham Hart
    Participant

Great pic. I thought about cropping the wall on the right slightly but I couldn’t come up with a version that worked any better than what you already have. The pic needs the wall (because he’s leaning on it) and any narrowing of the RH side just makes it a strong distraction.  His body lean brings it into the ‘story’ as well so I think the framing is good.

I too struggle with the title a bit. Its a bit vague with the absence of construction icons like scaffolding, tools etc. Perhaps seeing his hard worn blistered hands to ‘cement’ that connection would’ve helped? In any case, it does inform us of who and what he is.

Love the textures, light and pose. A great pic!

billyspad
    Blocked

Laura it was his expressions seen over a few days as he worked on constructing a house near mine that made me want to take his picture. For a construction worker he was quiet and often seemed reflective never joining in the raucous humor of his workmates. The shot was not posed but just taken as I walked past his work place where I think he was waiting to be picked up at the end of his shift.

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment

billyspad
    Blocked

Glad you enjoyed it Tom

Falxy
    Participant

Hi Billyspad….yeah maybe overprocessed a tad! ………….but I love man! 🙂

billyspad
    Blocked

Graham Glad ya liked it mate

billyspad
    Blocked

Falxy Nah not over processed just kept on the back burner long enough to make sure it was cooked to the owners taste. Others liking it is a bonus. I get the impression your with me on this type of approach.

Appreciate you calling by my man.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.