The Fisherman?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Sarthak Choudhary 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Sarthak Choudhary
    Participant

I lost some precious moments which I could have photographed, but I made sure I had their permission before I took their photo.

220mm F5.6 1/400s ISO-100

billyspad
    Blocked

OK Sarthak its a snap shot of two people one with a fishing rod who seem distracted by something well above the water line? You can lift a shadow or two dodge and burn a bit sharpen here and there and still end up with a shot where the subject lacks interest. But maybe you saw something I have missed?

Composition wise cutting the legs off is generally not considered a good idea and your shot sorta proves why. The terrain behind these two folks drowning worms looks like an interesting place.

Sarthak Choudhary
    Participant

@billyspad
    You are right the image looks very uninteresting. But I can’t figure why. The location is really nice for photography. At the moment I felt I am lucky to have someone out there whom I can photograph, but the photograph didn’t turn out half as good. I took several of them none of which look any better than this.

I thought this crop looked better without the legs. I’ll work on a different crop and post later.

Dorothy
      Participant

Hi Sarthak: it needs water. did you take any that have some of the water in it?  looking at this i have no idea if they are close to the water or fishing from higher up. (or if there is water, maybe he is just practicing how far he can cast)  i don’t mind the legs being cropped, have done so myself, and have heard from Billy about it. 🙂  all being said, i think the thing it needs is context (and for me that is water).

Sarthak Choudhary
        Participant

Ah…water!

Now that you’ve mentioned it, I also feel that I should have captured more of ‘beach’ in the picture. It seem so obvious now. I don’t know why I didn’t include that in the frame. I took images of just the sea with nothing in it, and I kept none of it in this image, silly me! In my defense it was pretty hot and my friends were getting restless.

billyspad
          Blocked

Mmmm that gals got a big butt and leggings so your first choice about cropping the legs was possibly the right one. Some folks just wanna play fast and loose with the fashion police.

billyspad
      Blocked

This is a bit like street photography but on the rocks! You got two people doing nothing interesting. The key is patience and luck to wait for a decisive moment. Hopefully you hang around and he hooks a 15 foot Great White and you get to record him hauling it in! Just shooting people doing mundane things irrespective of their surroundings invariably makes for mundane images.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

For me this is about people and what they are doing is plenty interesting.   If you had more beach and water etc. it becomes a landscape.  I think the color is a distraction from the people and his face is way too dark. The chopped off legs are not a problem for me as it brings the subject closer. I like the fishing rod exiting the photo and them looking at the cast.  

Sarthak Choudhary
      Participant

I like black and white pictures though I am not sure the BW rendition of this one makes it any better. I was struggling to get color of rocks correct; at least it takes care of that.

Frank
    Participant

The subject here really is about the people more than about fishing, so I would agree to lighten the faces so we can see even more of the man’s expression.  To make it more about fishing, I think we need to see the entire rod.  The rod is straight, the line is not at all taut, so what are they looking at? is the line caught in a tree, has the lure broken off and flying free?  They have caught my attention anyway, but what has caught theirs?

In short, look at photos of people fishing.  Most show the whole rod.  Maybe there is a reason for that.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.