The Harpist B&W

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank The Harpist B&W

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Mistyisle
      Participant

Another image I decided to try in monochrome.  Settings were f3.5; 40mms; ISO1000; 1/2000sec.   As taken a while ago, not sure why ISO so high, also why shutter speed so fast.

Petr Nowak
      Participant

Two persons in backgroud are disturbing. My eyes end always there.

JasenkaG
      Keymaster

I agree with Petr – it would be good to remove those people in the background, they are quite distracting.

Mistyisle
      Participant

Many thanks Petr and Jasenka, can do.  However, I am wondering if then the diagonal seeming to sprout out of the top of the harp would also then become a distraction?  Additionally, I would like to select the areas between the strings, which is the most daunting task!  Am wondering if the work involved would be worthwhile?  I have a tendency to work for hours on an image to then discover that it was time that could have been better spent.

Federico Alegria
      Participant

Just remember to keep your ISO lower when walking under sunny situations. Even when your exposure might seem to be balanced, it will be contradicting itself (high ISO and high shutter speed).

Erik Fransman
      Participant

Jim, Since the BG is disturbing, I would concentrate on the Harpist concentrating.

Mistyisle
      Participant

Many thanks, Federico and Erik, your feedback is most appreciated.

F:  I took this image quite some time ago, so how I managed to get to these settings is a mystery.  Nevertheless, I have set the upper limits to ISO often in the past, so will keep an eye on this and do so, adding to my repertoire!

E:  Love the crop.  However, I do note that the focus is on the instrument, rather than the performer.    I have a colleague, indeed mentor, who does often recommend more severe cropping on quite a few of my images.  Will definitely revisit this image!

Erik Fransman
      Participant

Jim with a bit more tweaking, burn the face and hands a tad to put emphasis on it and a slight vignette to darken part of the edges, you concentrate more on her and her hands than the instrument.

Frank
      Participant

Yes. The crop was needed.  If you wanted the whole scene of her standing with the full harp, it would have been easier if you had just waited to let the background people walk out of the frame.  Not sure you could have shot from that angle, however, and gotten rid of that post.  But, the crop really helps, because to me the expression on the face is very important.  I would have liked to see more, if you had moved just a half step to your left.  Of course, that might have distracted the musician.  Note, too, that the crop really helps with taking out any distractions in the background.  Our eyes stay with the subject.

Mistyisle
      Participant

Thanks Erik and Frank – something like this?

Erik Fransman
      Participant

Jim, just get rid of the guy in the BG.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.