The Sketcher

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Lenny Wollitz
      Participant

It took me at least 15 minutes with my crappy Spanish to get a smile from her. Everything is in focus because I like the whole scene but I think her smile and eyes are enough to draw the viewers attention. I know I broke a bunch of Photography Rules here but she almost didn’t let me take her photo… so now tear it apart 🙂

The Sketcher by Lenny Wollitz on Light Stalking

Lenny Wollitz
      Participant
      John Thompson

I think it is fairly well done Lenny. I agree that her facial expression and the fact that she is looking at the camera makes the image. That and the sketcher is busy and not paying attention is good. I like it.

Ritesh Saini
      Participant

Hi @el-dub, the lady and her smile certainly catch the viewer’s attention in the first glance. Since this is a street portrait (and coupled with the fact that you barely managed to take her photo in the first place), there is not much you can do in terms of photographing from different perspectives without making others uncomfortable. This angle works, showing the sketcher and his subject glancing at you sideways. A better composition, taking care of the abruptly cut tree on the top left, and a widescreen crop to remove the palm leaves will bring the attention back to the subject. Good luck!

Fred Furze
      Participant

I’m sorry, but this one doesn’t do much for me. I think the subject is minimally interesting at best. In fact I find the story more interesting than the photograph, and without the story it feels like just a common snapshot (which is not a bad thing if that’s what it is).

Compositionally her cut off feet bother me, as well as the amount of space above their heads. I think a photo of him alone, or her alone would have been more interesting in this case.

Lenny Wollitz
      Participant

@fredf Don’t be sorry for your opinions. That’s what the Shark Tank is all about. I know that this photo is not a portfolio builder. That’s why I posted it. There were several good suggestions from several people here. I hope I can utilize some of them when there are only a few seconds to compose this type of shot in the future. However, I disagree with your suggestion @fredf of 2 separate photos as I wanted to tell the story of him sketching her, not 2 separate stories, just need to do a better job on the composition. Just!!! Thanks to all of you!

Fred Furze
      Participant

That seems off as well. If he is drawing her, why are they sitting side-by-side on the bench? They should be facing eachother, at least slightly. It seems like she photobombed the moment, as if his subject is sitting somewhere across from him, not beside him. So maybe the camera angle is also not ideal. It feels like two separate stories (to me).

Don Rich
      Participant

Hi Lenny! Tack sharp! The expression on the gals face is priceless and devious! What would happen if you cropped the sketcher and turned this into a portrait! Just thinking outoud! The subject is so sharp and just the right amount of background but still keeps your subject as the key! Also eliminate the black and white portrait lying horizontally . Just my thoughs!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author