- May 29, 2019 at 5:51 pm #408415
- May 29, 2019 at 5:56 pm #408419
Amazing and he’s just hanging on to the top of that stalk! Can’t wait to see what Lynne Guenther @ebby-2 submits, her dragonflies are awesome.
- May 31, 2019 at 5:19 pm #408701
I hope your expectations aren’t too high, I’ve already posted all my dragonfly pics (only 4), and yesterday was super windy so I didn’t get anything too great. I wish it hadn’t been so windy and I could have gotten closer to the one I’m about to post though since he had an ant in his mouth.
- May 29, 2019 at 6:40 pm #408424
- May 29, 2019 at 7:47 pm #408433
Two cracking photos , it is still a little cold here in ire but can’t wait to get a chance to have a go a taking a few shots i just hope i can get half as much detail as you have here.
Nice topic as well.
- May 31, 2019 at 5:17 pm #408700
That is such a gorgeous wing pattern! Both amazing shots!!
- May 31, 2019 at 5:21 pm #408702
I’ve already posted my 4 best but here’s one from yesterday. I wish I could’ve gotten closer and it hadn’t been so windy…would have loved to get better focus on the ant in his mouth but this is super cropped. there was way too much brush between us 🙁
- May 31, 2019 at 11:30 pm #408724
Lynne: No disappointment here. I love this. Yes you could pick it apart but let’s be realistic, this is the way of nature. For wind and brush this came out great.
- June 2, 2019 at 6:24 pm #408984
Thanks Dorothy. It’s just always disappointing when there’s an action opportunity, particularly macro feeding, and the environment doesn’t allow for it. Plus there’s always the nagging… Maybe if I had changed this setting faster or tried something different I “could” have nailed it.
- May 31, 2019 at 5:27 pm #408703
original, not the best focus to begin with wawa…wind is not your friend in macro when your subject is holding on the swaying reeds
- May 31, 2019 at 7:02 pm #408713
I have one dragonfly shot. Here it is.
- May 31, 2019 at 11:31 pm #408725
Oh Wow Dave! That color! Those wings! Nice!
- June 1, 2019 at 12:04 am #408739
Thanks Dorothy. I liked how the color of the dragonfly and the rust on the cattle panel kind of matched.
- June 2, 2019 at 6:25 pm #408985
I really like the color against the grey!
- June 3, 2019 at 9:45 am #409112
- June 1, 2019 at 12:01 am #408737
I tried to get a few shots this afternoon as the damsel flies were out in force. But between the wind, the army of birds that were there feeding on them and the only lens I had with me wide enough was a f7 prime it was a futile gesture, I need to get back out there with a faster lens and maybe get some action shots as they meet their doom in the beak of a yellow headed black bird.
But in the mean time I found one on my phone from last year I haven’t shared before.
I need to search the archives as well for nostalgic reasons, I was thinking about it today and The second post I put in the shark tank so many years ago was a dragonfly photo that after advice given there and some edits won me a pretty crappy lens in a photo contest.
- June 2, 2019 at 6:21 pm #408982
Beautiful image and cool stories, thanks for sharing! I definitely would be interested in some bird feeding action! I haven’t caught a feeding shot in the right light or with good composition yet.
- June 2, 2019 at 9:27 pm #408994
You folks are posting some lovely work , so far i have only had the odd beetle and have been round the local reed beds and ponds but noting spotted yet , can i ask is there a BEST time of the day for Insects.
The wind is hard work sometimes even when you think its not windy it is when in that close.
- June 2, 2019 at 11:36 pm #409016
Unfortunately, mid-day around here. They like it hot and humid and in the sun. I’ve had better luck around creeks vs ponds. They tend to move more near ponds in my experience.
- June 3, 2019 at 10:01 am #409116
Thank you i will take note.
- June 3, 2019 at 2:46 pm #409186
I wen back out on Sunday and got nothing but bumble bees and not a damn one of those in focus, not a dragon or damsel in sight where there were 100’s the day before, and this area has creeks, a river,half a dozen small ponds and a lake, I think I stumbled upon a hatch the day before. Haven’t seen a dragon yet this year, I’m thinking our below zero spring storms might have done some damage to some of the insect populations.
- June 3, 2019 at 2:46 pm #409187
I went back out on Sunday and got nothing but bumble bees and not a damn one of those in focus, not a dragon or damsel in sight where there were 100’s the day before, and this area has creeks, a river,half a dozen small ponds and a lake, I think I stumbled upon a hatch the day before. Haven’t seen a dragon yet this year, I’m thinking our below zero spring storms might have done some damage to some of the insect populations.
- June 2, 2019 at 11:19 pm #409013
- June 2, 2019 at 11:20 pm #409014
- June 2, 2019 at 11:45 pm #409018
It never seizes to amaze me the variety of these beauties. So many shapes and sizes and colors! Fantastic shots by everyone!
- June 4, 2019 at 1:09 am #409261
- June 4, 2019 at 2:41 pm #409354
thought Id throw my 2cents in .. lol, just got this the other day, never saw that wing pattern before
- June 4, 2019 at 6:17 pm #409381
My new Favorite
I took this with a 300mm and 2 ext tubes which is not my normal set up
- June 4, 2019 at 11:42 pm #409413
You got him to smile for the camera! Great shot
- June 4, 2019 at 11:44 pm #409414
- June 4, 2019 at 11:45 pm #409415
- June 5, 2019 at 3:54 pm #409508
- June 5, 2019 at 5:12 pm #409512
Love the lines, color, and contrast!
- June 5, 2019 at 4:05 pm #409509
- June 5, 2019 at 5:14 pm #409513
EVERYONE’S IMAGES ARE GREAT!!!
Another from yesterday
- June 9, 2019 at 1:12 am #410004
never thought i would be able to capture a dragonfly and i should have realized the truth in “never say never”, today if give you the coolest dragonfly ever. :-0
- June 9, 2019 at 6:10 am #410030
- June 9, 2019 at 7:03 am #410032
Nice specimens above!
This one had been around before. I was bored in a bird hide one day and thought I’d try to snap one of these guys in mid-air.
- June 18, 2019 at 12:56 am #411331
Hi Tobie: Wow, sometimes it doesn’t hurt to be bored. Great capture!
- June 18, 2019 at 12:51 am #411329
Just walking in a new park in the neighborhood and this guy kept flying around me. he landed on the walkway and waited for me to take his picture. such a cool looking insect. wanted to share, he is a beautiful blue and has a cool looking head. should open in a new tab to be able to enlarge and see up close.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.