Throwdown – Butterflies

This topic contains 61 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Tersha 1 hour, 26 minutes ago.

• Author

Inspired by the images of Dave Watkins, Tersha and others.

Monarch:

DSC03671

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Well this is fortuitous. It just so happens that this Monarch came out of chrysalis at noon today. The chrysalis is jade green until the final hours when it changes to being nearly transparent.

Chrysalis in change

chrysalis_6.jpg

Immediately after emerging

Monarch_side_1-2.jpg

After an hour or so of drying it’s wings.

Monarch_top_2.jpg

I left the room for 10 minutes and missed it emerging. I’ll have to try again tomorrow as there’s another chrysalis starting to change.

What an amazing thing to witness Rob. Great set of images.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Great series Rob. Would love to see that in person. As beautiful as they are the name Monarch fits them well. Looking forward to seeing more of these from you.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Wow! Thank you for sharing this Rob. Amazing to look at the transformation πŸ™‚

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Nice capture David. (this should be up under David’s post…hmmm)

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  Rob Eyers.

Blue tiger:

DSC02283

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Another beautiful butterfly that is not around here. Nice shot.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Gorgeous colours and mood. Love it David πŸ™‚

Graham Hart
    Participant

An oldie;

Dave Watkins
    Participant

Like Rob this reply to David’s first post shows up at the bottom.

Beautiful shot. I wish we had Monarchs in our area.

Dave Watkins
    Participant

Two pics of a Painted Lady from yesterday.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Love these Dave. Very beautiful πŸ™‚

Dave Watkins
        Participant

Thanks Dahlia. This one obviously fresher than the one I posted with the yellow background. She/he has been around for a few days now. Never leaves that Tall Verbena.

Dave Watkins
    Participant

Orchard swallowtail (female)

PC220055

PC220060

Rob Eyers
      Participant

That’s a beautiful one David. We don’t have those here. Very interesting.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Wow! Fantastic shots David. I don’t see flowers so not after nectar. Do you know if that’s a host plant it’s on? Maybe laying eggs?

You got it Dave – laying eggs. These butterflies lay their eggs on citrus plants, the hatching caterpillars (known as bird-poo caterpillars – see below) feed on the citrus leaves. They are often considered a pest, but we welcome them in our garden.

Early instar caterpillar:

DSC04648

Later instar caterpillar:

caterpillar

LeanneC
      Participant

I love the second image, David! Such a cool perspective.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

I’ve been raising Monarchs along with others in the Windsor/Essex County area of southern Ontario. We’re doing this in the hopes of raising the numbers in the wild. They only lay eggs on the milkweed plant. This is the only food the caterpillars will eat and a lot of milkweed has been destroyed over the years. Raising the caterpillars indoors keeps them away from predators which increases the surviving percentage.

This Monarch emerged from its chrysalis around noon today. The sequence shown here takes less than a minute. At this point the wings have not yet been inflated.

_V4A3909 copy 3a.jpg

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Love it! Great job Rob. Tomorrow we’re driving down to Brookings for a Western Monarch festival on Saturday. And coincidentally they’ve had a bit of a Monarch population explosion there recently.

Update: No Monarchs have showed up to take advantage of the Milkweed we planted last spring. πŸ™‚ Other pollinators are using it though. We only planted eight. Four Showy and four Narrowleaf. But they’ve already tripled that number on their own.

P71
      Participant

Jaw droppingly gorgeous work Rob , thanks for posting.

Dave Watkins
    Participant

My trucks bumper.

LeanneC
    Participant

I am enjoying viewing this throwdown. Sadly, we don’t get Monarchs where we live. However, we had a surprise in our curly willow this spring, in the form of some odd looking caterpillars that we soon discovered to be Mourning Cloaks. We decided to take them in (to control the destruction on the willow and observe them as they went through their changes). I was slightly horrified to learn that they molt several times before making their chrysalis. It was fascinating, watching them eat, grow and change. Here are some shots showing their life cycle (as much as we saw of it):

Mourning Cloak Caterpillar

Prayer Position

Chrysalis

Stretching its Wings

So Long

If You Love Somebody

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Great series Leanne. That is so cool that you and your family got to see the metamorphosis from caterpillar to butterfly. And to top it off it was a Mourning Cloak. An exceptionally beautiful butterfly in my book.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Very nice series Leanne. The whole process is interesting isn’t it. They do like to crawl on your finger just after emerging. Odd that they’re so skittish afterwards. Love the image with you daughter.

P71
    Participant

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Two great shots Pat. Where do you live?…I’ve never seen either of these. Do you know what they are called?

P71
        Participant

Hi Rob , i live in n.ireland (belfast)

Top one is called a common blue , seen loads this year

photo 2 is a Painted lady

Look hereΒ https://www.ulsterwildlife.org/wildlife-explorer/invertebrates/butterflies-and-moths

This place is literally out my sisters back yard ( i’m very lucky ) πŸ˜‰

Rob Eyers
          Participant

Thanks for the link Pat. Yes you are very lucky if you have all of those around you. We visited Belfast a few years ago on a circle tour of the island. Lovely country and wonderful folks. We’ll be back again, but that trip will be in a car on our own time, so we can stop and talk to the fairies if we like. πŸ˜‰

P71
    Participant

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Love both of these P71. I’ve had quite a bit fun photographing butterflies this year. Hope you had fun too.Β  πŸ™‚

P71
    Participant

First time for me Dave and it was a lot of fun , looking forward to next year already .. thanks very much mate.

Still need to identify this one.

Found it – Orange-tip

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  P71.

P71
    Participant

Micropterix calthella, the marsh marigold moth

Can just about see these little ones with naked eye

Tersha
      Keymaster

You’ve some good shots here Patrick, I don’t think I would have known this one was a butterfly!

Rob Eyers
    Participant

So here goes one more from yesterday. Not a lot of variety from me. I’ll have to dig through so oldies.

If you haven’t watched one emerge then you may not have seen how the wings are very small and shriveled up. After a couple of minutes to rest up from the struggle of getting out they begin to pump fluids from the abdomen out though veins in the wings. The whole process takes about two minutes at most.

Tersha
      Keymaster

That’s really wonderful Rob!

P71
        Participant

Absolutely agree wow.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Love it!

P71
    Participant

Tersha
    Keymaster

Comma …

comma on field scabious

Dave Watkins
      Participant

I like the light/dark contrast of the wings, beautiful background.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

From the wayback machine…Blue Morpho

Blue Morpho

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Wow! What a beautifully colored butterfly. Nice shot Rob.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Stunning blue Rob!

Dave Watkins
    Participant

In flight.

Tersha
      Keymaster

That’s pretty clever Dave, cool shot!

Dave Watkins
        Participant

Thanks Diane. Shot at 1/2000 to stop the motion. Went back and tried to get one showing just a bit of motion using 1/1600 and 1/1250 but didn’t even get one keeper. It’s supposed to be rainy for the next four days so any new butterfly pics are on hold.

Tersha
    Keymaster

Resting Peacock butterfly…

peacock on tarmac

Dave Watkins
      Participant

We don’t have those around here. It’s beautiful. Was the ground, or rock, it’s on wet? I ask because to ingest minerals butterflies “puddle.” They land on wet ground, animal carcasses and animal and bird poop to get nutrients nectar doesn’t provide.

I’ve learned a number of strange facts about butterflies this year after putting in the butterfly garden and reading about them.Β  πŸ™‚

Tersha
        Keymaster

Strangely it was a small strip of old tarmac in-between the grass and wild flowers, I was parked in a lay-by in a grass verge in the forest. It may well have been wet, as I remember the grass was wet in places. I never knew that about them landing on wet ground, and other things. I’ve seen them settle on brick, and old logs, and always assumed to was to get some heat.
        pic from a couple of years back ..

resting on a log

Dave Watkins
    Participant

Tersha
      Keymaster

They get into some odd places!

Tersha
    Keymaster

tortoiseshell

tortoiseshell on michaelmas

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.