Trying To Catch The Rain (Monochrome)

Latest Posts Photography Forums Landscape Photography Trying To Catch The Rain (Monochrome)

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Bruce Gordon 5 days, 22 hours ago.

• Author

Bruce Gordon
    Participant

I thought I’d experiment with monochrome and try to salvage a rainy day in the park…

Robert Apple

It’s a nice shot Bruce, Are these the peaks above dream lake, I used to hike up there a lot in my youth.

Bruce Gordon
      Participant

Thanks Robert! It’s actually from the Bear Lake parking lot in RMNP. Looking southwest toward Emerald lake. I think that’s Hallett Peak on the left and Tyndall Galcier at the top of the valley… Bear lake is just behind the closest trees.

Robert Apple

Yes, Tyndall Glacier feeds Dream Lake, its behind the third  hill a beautiful hike you should try some day.
        Not my photo click to view file at its location.

Bruce Gordon
          Participant

Right Robert! I had intended to at least get up to Emerald Lake, but there were thunderstorms, so I chickened out. The only upside, besides the great clouds, was the weather keep most tourists away and there was ample room in the parking lot. lol I am going back on my next days off. I will include Dream lake, as well!

I finally got a moose photo over in the Kawuneeche Valley… First one ever. It seems as though moose flee my presence. The Elk were in rut in Moraine Park, so I got a few decent shots there. I need a longer lens! I’ll post in general chit chat.

John Thompson

I really like this one Bruce.  I think the rain helped here to make a nice b&w landscape.  Very nice.

Bruce Gordon
      Participant

Thanks John! I have grown fond of shooting in bad weather, as I love the drama clouds and mist can add to a scene.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

I like this one too. The rain adds a really interesting effect. I like the b&w, but I also wonder what it might look like in color as well. Perhaps, some interesting color shifts??

Robert Apple

Agree Kent, would love to see the colors.

Bruce Gordon
        Participant

I posted the color version on Kent’s post…

Bruce Gordon
      Participant

Thanks Kent!!

Here is the color version with some minor LR adjustments for exposure;

Kent DuFault
        Participant

Ahhhhhh… Now that I see the original, I can see why you went b&w- not much color to begin with.

Bruce Gordon
          Participant

Right Kent; it was a pretty dreary scene, but I was drawn to the rising mist, and took it thinking it would translate well to monochrome…

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

This is very beautiful Bruce. I like the post processing too 🙂

Tersha
    Keymaster

I really like this Bruce, the rain adds to it, gives it a sort of texture.

Bruce Gordon
      Participant

Thanks Tersha! I do wish the rain hadn’t been so cold!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.