Tusks to die for!

• This topic has 25 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 1y, 2mo ago by Tobie.
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Tobie

Or perhaps the title should read ‘Tusks to die by!” as many foes had discovered through history, after under estimating these tough little guys.

Warthogs are considered a pest in most of SA’s farming communities due to their tendency and ability to damage plant root systems, resulting in ground erosion. One can not help but stop and have a second look when you see a set of tusks like this though. Growing them in the Kruger National Park among large numbers of lions and leopards is a remarkable achievement, demanding respect.

warthog

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Wow! I like the features of this animal. Do they use their tusks to also attack other animals? Beautiful image Tobie and thank you for sharing with us 🙂

Tobie

Oh absolutely @dahliaabrose!

Tusks like these were the reason of many a leopard’s demise and it would thus rather opt for the female or a piglet, if they’re close by. A lioness would probably rather leave it alone as well, unless she has help from the pack.

Bruce Gordon
      Participant

Great photo Tobie! The detail in the hair is incredible. What an old beastie that one is!

John Thompson

That is one ugly animal but one great photograph Tobie.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Great shot Tobie. An amazing looking animal.

Kent DuFault
      Participant

Great picture! Nice to see you back Tobie!

Tobie

Thanks @kent! Nice to pop in – not sure how long it’s going to last but if there’s a gap for posting, I’ll grab it! 🙂

Graham Hart
      Participant

Great pic Tobie. What an amazing looking creature. Makes you wonder what criteria the design specs were trying to meet.

Tobie

Thanks @diripics!

Basically a skin tough enough to endure staying in erdvark holes and tusks to shovel up tree & other roots, bulbs and whatever grows underneath the soil – and obviously to defend itself and its family.

If a leopard is holding down one of its family members it would run at them at full speed and take a stab at the leopard as it passes by. Repeatedly. It succeeds in chasing off the predator more often than not.

ElinL
      Participant

Prefer to have him hanging on the wall than roaming around in the back yard. Majestic in all his ugliness. Great image Tobie, thanks for sharing. Best wishes for your studies and new career.

Anne Hornsby
      Participant

I like your description Elin – majestic in his ugliness.    I saw warthogs up close for the first time in Namibia, but they must have been females or young ones.   I never saw tusks like this, and the mouth is fascinating, too.   Great photo Tobie!

Robert Apple

Great photo Tobie and great info, I just thought they hung out in hot springs farting and singing “Hakuna matata”.

Tobie

LOL! Thanks @robertapple! Hot springs are scarce here! Mud baths – oh yea! 🙂

Erik Fransman
      Participant

Good shot Tobie. Impressive animal. Keep your distance, that’s for sure. Good to see you!

Tobie

Thanks @eriok-fransman! They become quite witty when they get used to humans (which they easily do closer to urban areas) – they would walk up to where you are camping, flip open your cooler or other containers and then eat whatever they find right in front of your eyes! If you dare approach them – well, be ready to meet those tusks! 🙂

JasenkaG
      Keymaster

That’s an amazing animal, I’ve never seen something like this before 🙂

Tobie

One of the most common wildlife species in our reserves (and outside), @jasenkag.

Some farmers actually pay hunters to reduce their numbers on our farms (BTW their hindlegs make a good and tasty meal, provided you know how to cook it). Obviously this guy has stayed off our farms as he’s an inhabitant of our biggest reserve in SA. 🙂

Preston
      Participant

This make a wild boar look weak!  I enjoyed all your tidbits about the Warthog especially about the leopard.  Always thought Pumbaa “Bowling for Buzzards” was for comic relief and not an actual tactic.  Thanks for sharing!

Tobie

Thanks Preston, glad you’ve enjoyed it! 🙂

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author