- May 28, 2019 at 6:03 pm #408156
Ok, now it was suggested to me to start a throw down so don’t hold me responsible if this becomes habit forming. 🙂 i love reading all the LS Articles and always seem to find some great gems when i start going down the rabbit holes of links within. The following is one of these “rabbit” links:
How to Create Photo Twirls – Free Quick Guide
So you are challenged to take one of your photos and TWIRL. Have fun!
Here’s my 3rd attempt to twirl (which i did post in chit chat):
- May 28, 2019 at 10:39 pm #408186
Not sure why but i keep seeing a frowny face in a gray box. What is that?
- May 28, 2019 at 11:33 pm #408200
Hi Dorothy – it is due to the guide. I added a few spaces and your photo displays properly.
- May 28, 2019 at 11:51 pm #408203
The guide link had to be entered as html to get the frowny face to go away, you can only add one paste and go link at a time or word press gets fussy.
- May 29, 2019 at 1:20 am #408229
sweet, i will keep that in mind.
- May 28, 2019 at 10:54 pm #408187
I really wanted to do one of these in black and white. Used 4 of my black and white motorcycle with clouds photo to create this one.
- May 28, 2019 at 11:10 pm #408192
- May 29, 2019 at 1:25 am #408231
Wow David. You did this in 2014? Is this an actual photo print out or a photo made to look like a print out? You are so darn good it would not surprise me either way. 🙂
Love the pattern of colors!
- May 29, 2019 at 1:47 am #408236
Hi Dorothy – I think the photo that I used as a base was taken in 2014. The ‘Twirl’ was done in August 2017. I went through phase creating images to use in cufflinks!
This is a photo made to look like it was printed out…
- June 2, 2019 at 4:00 pm #408954
Wow David, pimp! Is like to say something more eloquent but my brain keeps saying pimp! Maybe dope?
It looks like a jewel to me, and a well lit one!!!
- May 28, 2019 at 11:11 pm #408193
- May 29, 2019 at 1:30 am #408232
oo, i really like the lighting in this and the swishy strokes make me see a crazy blue and gold Pomeranian. 🙂 in the large version the red pointing from the upper left corner really directs my eye just enough, i like it. that’s that red, doing it’s thing.
- May 29, 2019 at 9:28 am #408314
One from the archives.
- May 29, 2019 at 5:47 pm #408410
Hi Graham: Love this. Was the original mainly these colors or did you do some tweaking?
- May 29, 2019 at 8:01 pm #408436
To be completely honest Dorothy, I can’t remember what the original picture was. I did very little tweaking other than some light/contrast adjustments and I put the yellow dot in the middle to cover up a blue splodge which appeared with the twirl.
- May 29, 2019 at 8:07 pm #408438
Actually, i kind of like that blue splodge Graham. Both versions are great!
- June 2, 2019 at 4:03 pm #408955
This one has a floral vibe to me! These are like ink blots or clouds, I’m sure what you relate to says something about you lol
- May 29, 2019 at 9:42 am #408327
- May 29, 2019 at 5:49 pm #408411
Craig: Very cool, this reminds me of a Rorschach test. 🙂 hmm, what do you see?
- May 29, 2019 at 2:32 pm #408376
I decided that green thing, although interesting, is a bit harsh. Trying a golden pallet.
- May 29, 2019 at 2:33 pm #408378
This is all your fault Dorothy.. ;))
- May 29, 2019 at 3:12 pm #408384
Haven’t done one in a while so
- May 29, 2019 at 9:05 pm #408448
Robert: This is wonderful. I like the grain (heaven forbid!) it really makes this fluid. Will have to remember to not always shy away from any bit of grain.
- May 29, 2019 at 5:51 pm #408416
Hey Robert Apple! Just exactly whose idea was it to do this throw down? 😉
- May 29, 2019 at 7:53 pm #408435
Fantastic stuff everyone , and thank you very much for the link posted i will have a try at this they look good fun.
- May 29, 2019 at 9:08 pm #408451
Can’t wait to see what you come up with P71. Love seeing everyone’s creativity in this.
- June 2, 2019 at 4:08 pm #408959
Oh Dorothy Dorothy Dorothy!!! Thanks for the lovely images, but now you are gonna owe me some sleep when I’m twirling all night long lol
- June 2, 2019 at 6:22 pm #408983
lol Lynne: i take full responsibility just don’t know how to get you that owed sleep. 🙂 looking forward to some of your twirls you have such great colors in your work they should come out stunning.
- June 3, 2019 at 12:56 am #409024
Anothery from the archives…
- June 3, 2019 at 1:49 am #409029
Graham: Sweet, love how the colors divided up.
- June 3, 2019 at 1:31 am #409027
- June 3, 2019 at 1:53 am #409030
David, i like these, the first one looks like a flower to me (the b&w with the touches of color is beautiful) and the second one looks like the middle is a feather.
- June 3, 2019 at 10:48 am #409130
- June 3, 2019 at 3:39 pm #409190
Rob: i really like this, i am finding that i tend to be drawn to these that have the center offset to the rule of three areas.
- June 3, 2019 at 6:18 pm #409198
Just a quick question , must this be done in Photoshop , reason for asking i have dropped PS lately for another PP software , right now i can’t use PS but do have other software that allows more or less same outcome.
It’s not a biggie just wanted to ask first before attempting to post anything.
Thanks for any info.
- June 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm #409213
P71: a twirl is a twirl is a twirl is a twirl. 🙂 no matter how you make it. post away and let us know what software you used. can’t wait to see it. actually, i think Craig said he uses Affinity.
- June 3, 2019 at 9:33 pm #409222
I thank you for such quick and positive reply 😉
thank you Dorothy , i have a few but my main two for digital art are – CLIP STUDIO PAINT PRO and a fantastic FREE open source piece of software and that is called Krita
Will get busy and try Twirl.
- June 4, 2019 at 12:21 am #409240
Well after a few tries i knew it was never going to work as well in this program as it would in Ps photoshop would allow a much tighter twirl , still thought i would post my resulting image , image used was 2 large cranes at the shipyard.
- June 4, 2019 at 1:15 am #409262
What?! These are fantastic! The first one looks like basket weaving, i love it. The second one looks like painted swirls. I really like these a lot.
- June 4, 2019 at 8:15 am #409312
You are very kind thank you , i’m glad you like them Dorothy.
I never went to bed until after 6-am this morning i was having a lot of fun playing with shapes.
This was a bit more mork but i like the result i did do a little extra with pattern and textures.
- June 4, 2019 at 9:17 pm #409395
Wow Patrick (if i may), i see the mind of an artist. it’s interesting how structured you can make these.
- June 4, 2019 at 10:09 pm #409407
Hi Dorathy , the structure comes by shrinking and expanding 1 twirl and saving each iteration of that twirl to a seperate layer building then trying to arrange those layers into a pleasing design the square shape is also done with the marquee tool.
Thank you also for your time looking and kind words.
I have been doing some Digital Art on and off since 2004 but find it hard to stay motivated for more than a few months at a time then i seem to burn out.
Here is an old one , i added the frame from ON1 fx VERSION 10.
- June 5, 2019 at 2:43 am #409422
Now that’s pretty cool Patrick. Has the feel of an old time war poster.
- June 6, 2019 at 11:38 am #409663
Great…. now I cant stop making these things either…
- June 6, 2019 at 3:12 pm #409702
YES great Swirl Seth colours work so well , would make nice Club wall Art.
These can get very Additive , you all followed the tutorial really well and added another creative tool to your repertuar , many thanks once again Rob Eyers for the guide.
I wish i had Ps installed to follow the same , This was done in Krita today.
I was thinking Aperture Priority 😉
- June 6, 2019 at 5:42 pm #409735
Wow Patrick! i see your Aperture Priority and raise you a Pinwheel. 🙂 Fantastic greens and blacks.
i have to say…. not only is the creating addictive but now i am hooked on getting back in here and seeing all the creations. like snowflakes, no two are alike. can’t say enough about how much i love them all.
- June 6, 2019 at 6:43 pm #409751
Haha Pinwheel wins everytime , thank you very much glad you like it , this one was made with a photo i got while looking for bugs Forest Shieldbug i think.
- June 6, 2019 at 9:50 pm #409769
Hey Patrick, i googled this little guy, they appear to be somewhat of a pest, although he is cool in his own right i think i like the pinwheel better. 🙂
- June 7, 2019 at 11:39 pm #409919
- June 7, 2019 at 11:55 pm #409920
David, absolutely lovely, are you saying this started it’s life as a spider? would love to see the original.
- June 8, 2019 at 10:11 pm #409988
The sensory zone of a cat’s whiskers…
- June 8, 2019 at 10:53 pm #409989
- June 8, 2019 at 11:55 pm #409996
For some reason i get Super Hero from this.
- June 8, 2019 at 11:25 pm #409990
- June 8, 2019 at 11:26 pm #409991
- June 8, 2019 at 11:59 pm #409997
Now you’ve done it David, i have been really good, attending my twirl support group and refraining. i will now have to try a twirl of the alien soap bubbles i did previously. i love how your’s transitioned.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.