Union Pacific “Big Boy”

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat Union Pacific “Big Boy”

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Bruce Gordon
      Participant

Not a spectacular photo, but I thought you might like to see the largest steam locomotive ever built. 25 were built for Union Pacific, and this is #4014. There are only seven remaining on static display in various cities in the US; is the only one in the world still operational.

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by Bruce Gordon.
      Rob Eyers
      Participant

Thanks for posting Bruce. I’m sure that others here, like me, remember steam locomotives from our youth. This one certainly is something special.

Bruce Gordon
        Participant

Glad you enjoyed it Rob! She’s a beauty!

Robert Apple

Thanks for posting Bruce, I had plans that fell apart to go see her when it came through Wy. Really Cool old train.

Bruce Gordon
        Participant

She’ll arrive back in Cheyenne tomorrow at 3pm. Perhaps you make it then!

Robert Apple

I thought about it, the 27 inches of snow we got last night changed my mind, a Friend of mine and fellow photographer got these in June.

Photos by Denise Hawkins

Bruce Gordon
            Participant

Fantastic images! Thanks for sharing. Please give my compliments to Denise for her excellent work.

We only got 14 inches here in Denver, which kept me indoors today as well…

Robert Apple

Preston
      Participant

Nice one Bruce!  We have one here in Scranton, but I’d love to hear one actually chug past. Was this taken when they were moving to Promontory Point for the Transcontinental Railroad anniversary?

Bruce Gordon
        Participant

Yes! This taken between her stop in Strasburg, CO and Denver. Tomorrow she leaves Denver for the final leg of her journey back to Cheyenne, WY.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Bruce Gordon.
        Bruce Gordon
        Participant

I tried to post a video so you could hear it, but it won’t work…

beth
      Participant

well worth viewing large.  you can see the excellent panning work as well as the name big boy tagged on the front.

Bruce Gordon
        Participant

Thanks Beth! It was my first train photo. 🙂

John Teate
      Participant

Super cool, thanks for posting!

Kent DuFault
      Participant

I like the shot. Trains are really hard to capture in a way that depicts their majestic size and strength as viewed in person. I’ve tried many times over the years to photograph trains, and I have very few that I’m really proud of.

Bruce Gordon
        Participant

Thanks Kent!

I should have posted some info on the locomotive; it’s 137 feet long, weighs 1.2 million pounds and delivers 135,000 pounds of tractive effort… A real beast!

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

This is a great image Bruce and I love images of trains. This one with the steam coming off, looks amazing. Thank you for sharing with us 🙂

John Thompson

Is this a 4-8-8-4?  It is huge!  I grew up with a railroad stock yard almost in my back yard.  They were coal fired trains and the roofs of the cars showed it.  Also, visiting Western Pennsylvania as a child, I could see the coal trains there.  They were some of the longest I have seen.  I have seen a steam locomotive pulling a coal train thru the horseshoe curve in Altoona, Pa.  I love trains!

Bruce Gordon
        Participant

Correct John, she’s a 4-8-8-4! 137 feet long, counting the tender. I think we all love trains. Even the sound of the whistle is somehow sad, nostalgic and lonesome all at the same time.

JasenkaG
      Keymaster

Thanks for sharing 🙂 Yeah, it’s a beautiful beast!

Federico Alegria
      Participant

WOW, Thanks for sharing Bruce!

Bruce Gordon
      Participant

Thanks Federico!

What a magnificent beast!

I work for a railroad, though we decommissioned our last steam loco’s in 1971. They are a firm favourite of mine though, and the local passenger network run a steam train for about 10 days every year – one day i will get a trip on it, and the obligatory images of course!

Bruce Gordon
        Participant

It was really cool to watch it cruise on by! There are several operating narrow gauge railroads here in Colorado, and I plan to visit them all!

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.