Want to buy an inexpensive Ring Flash

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat Want to buy an inexpensive Ring Flash

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Mistyisle
      Participant

Be glad of any feedback you can give me. When I say inexpensive – I mean – probably not more than NZ$100 (£50). Obviously if you pay NZ$700, you should get a much better one. I have read many reviews, however, sometimes it is unclear if they fit your needs. Some cheap ones get very good reviews. I guess that I would probably buy through Amazon, but that is certainly not fixed.

My camera is a Nikon D5200. I doubt that I will be doing macro photography, which ring flashes particularly suit. It is mentioned that some are good for portrait photography, which I hope to do more of, especially at events. If the ring flash is strong enough, then I would like to use a lot at events.

I currently do have a speedlight (speedlite), that is a Nissin one. Most ring flashes are stand alone, but some are adaptors that use the speedlight.

Any help, advice, suggestions, will be most welcome! I live in New Zealand, as you may know or have guessed.

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by Mistyisle.
      Mistyisle
      Participant

I am delaying a decision meantime. I have discovered that my Nissan Di622 is limited to the extent to which it can accommodate externals eg it cannot support the ” Gary Fong Lightsphere or Rogue Large FlashBender.” Also, it cannot accommodate the Demb flash. Clearly I need to understand things a lot better than present. It is a journey.

Looking at the Di622vit should be able to accommodate the Lightsphere. Maybe look at a magmod (or the copy by Selens) they should fit it and are a great option.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323288507801

I have a Lightsphere copy that I believe will fit. Happy to send it to you to try. If it fits its yours!

Mistyisle
      Participant

Hi David, I did see a demo yesterday about the magmod, which takes a bit of assembling each time. Still, it looked interesting and I assumed that they would be expensive. Having a look at your link, I see that they are not expensive at all. However, there is a note at the bottom of the Aussie ad, saying not for sending to New Zealand! Nevertheless, I will probably find elsewhere. Thanks for the tip!

Re your offer of trying on the Lightsphere copy, I would be keen to try thanks and will pm you now. Since my original post, I have learnt that these modifiers are really only for indoor use and not outdoor. Whilst my main thought originally was for outdoors, I do intend to step up my indoor attempts too! Many thanks again!

LeanneC
      Participant

I purchased a RayFlash adapter in the fall. Here are a couple of links to reviews:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/9198458634/rayflash-introduces-universal-ringflash-adapter-with-new-clamp-design

Ray Flash Universal Ring Flash Adapter

Strangely enough, I ended up using it for portraits before trying it out in macro. I was doing some outdoor shots of my kids and we had a lovely location with dappled shade (ugh!) so I used the ringflash adapter to provide some nice fill and even out the light. It worked quite well, considering I was just learning and really had little to no clue what I was doing!

It is easy to attach and very light. The cost for me was $130 CA but I imagine it goes on sale (I was impatient and paid full price).

I have since used it for macro and I am still getting used to the soft light it provides. I haven’t tested this yet, but was told you lose half to one full-stop of light using the modifier. For most of the situations I would use it in, this is acceptable.

Good luck! I hope you find something that works for you.

Mistyisle
      Participant

Many thanks, Leanne, I will follow up on that!  🙂

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar