Water Lily – abstract

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank Water Lily – abstract

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Dahlia Ambrose 11 months ago.

• Author

Mistyisle
    Participant

Very interested in feedback – particularly the stark division in the upper middle!

Tom M
    Participant

I like the idea of this, but the black in upper left quadrant just seems distracting…

bucweeet
    Participant

Nice work on the flower Misty. It looks like a separate layer from the rest of the image so I’m wondering if you are able to sharpen the edges of it a little more. The softness of the edges doesn’t necessarily detract anything, but I’m wondering what it would look like having them slightly sharper.

A more important thought, is to try and blend the ‘straight’ lines into the circle around the flower (vase??). Right now, it’s a pretty definitive line between the two areas. Not sure if this is a separate layer in the image, or if it’s part of the process you used.

And lastly, and probably the only real comment is the distraction is as Tom mentions. The black quadrant in the upper LH corner caused by the shadow. I’m not sure how that can be fixed; maybe a colour replacement of the darker green, or possibly using luminosity masking to highlight the darker tones and then use curves to brighten the areas.

To help negate the ‘straight line’ at the top, possibly use the ‘Liquify’ tool (Filter–>Liquify).  You might be able to push and pull the various sides of the images into or through each other to create a less rigid division of sides.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Jim, I really like this but have not idea how you did it.  What caused the “division”?

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

Hi Jim, I think the division gives a more abstract and artistic feel to the image. I like it 🙂

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Well this is fun Jim. For me the hard line is a distraction though. A thousand ways you could go with it but here is one just for giggles. Hope you don’t mind.

Duplicate layer flipped horizontally and 50% blended in the upper half. A little man from mars and some white “eyes”….just for the heck of it.

Mistyisle
    Participant

Many thanks for the feedback.  I have just spent an hour or more working with bucweeet’s ideas, not got there yet and will have to restart.  Found I had to use TWO Curves layers to get the dark bright enough.

Really love your version, Rob, plus it made me smile!
    The original was created using ‘rectangular to polar’ filter.
    In the meantime here is another image I created from the same original photo.

Federico Alegria
      Participant

Hey, I really like this one, I’m pretty drawn to patterns and symmetrical stuff, so this one seems quite right for me. How was this one done?

Mistyisle
    Participant

You set a high bar, Rob – tested my knowledge and skills to the utmost. Had a lot of trouble with the eyes. In the end did a clone from the flower white with 38% hardness and a screen blend mode.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.