Waterfall Session

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank Waterfall Session

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Benedict Kim 6 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Benedict Kim
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

I captured this image in a honeymoon session here in Belize at a local waterfall around 2pm and slightly overcast skies. It was shot at 1000 ISO, f7.1,1/160,32mm. Used a 5DMkII, 17-40L for it. I wish I would have shot it faster but forgot since I was set up for strobes but did not use them on this one. The subjects are a bit blurry on this shot. The idea behind the shot was the subjects in context of the location. Any and all suggestions for improvement are appreciated!

opps. forgot the post. used LR5. warmed up some of the leaves on the trees. whites, blacks, highlights, shadows all played with.

Best,

Ben

Benedict Kim
    Participant

opps. forgot the post. used LR5. warmed up some of the leaves on the trees. whites, blacks, highlights, shadows all played with.

nice story depicts the holiday frolicking mood….
    looks a tad overexposed especially the people….
    Was a polarizer used?
    it would have reduced the reflections much…
    Vishnu

Benedict Kim
    Participant

maybe they are just pasty white instead of over exposed. lol. didn’t even think of a polarizer. thanks!

Tom Beecroft
    Participant

I think the figures are too small for a ‘subject in context’ shot. To me, it’s more of a nature photo of a beautiful place, with a couple of people in the middle. They do provide some scale, but I think you’d need to be much, much closer to them to have them be the subject.

Darlene Romano
    Participant

Hi @esotericvision,

I agree with @tombeecroft in that the figures are too small for a “subject in context” shot. They get lost in the image and don’t provide any value. I cropped the image, converted it to black and white, increased the contrast, and overlaid a grid so you could see where the people fall in relation to the rule of thirds. Even with the tighter crop, the people are lost. My eyes tend to go to the waterfall first because it is a much larger element in the image than the people. Hope this helps.

Darlene Romano
    Participant

Oops, here is the image with the grid overlay…

Walter Lustig
    Participant

I didn’t see the people right away but their poses make for a funny image … they might go viral and suddenly appear on the moon, in front of the former Berlin wall, etc. 😉

I wish the rocks and trees/leaves were a little sharper but that comes from those settings and can’t be changed.

I prefer the colour version once you notice the people in their fancy swimwear …

You didn’t go burst and have more of them jumping into the water, do you? Pity.

With a bit better settings, this could become a nice “miniature people”-series …

It could also be turned into a nice composite … “Fleeing from Godzilla”, I know my imagination is taking off now 😉

Benedict Kim
    Participant

And this would be why I need to swim in the shark tank more. Thanks everyone. I don’t think there’s anything better for a head check!

Best,

Ben

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.