Weekend Photography Challenge #430 Street/Urban

Latest Posts Photography Forums Weekly Photography Challenge Weekend Photography Challenge #430 Street/Urban

Viewing 40 reply threads
  • Author
      Tersha
      Keymaster
      Click
      Participant

The Incompatibles

The Incompatibles

Bobbie
        Participant

Great catch as usual Click. They may be incompatible but the colors of their clothing almost match.

LeanneC
        Participant

Love this! Great capture, Click.

Mistyisle
        Participant

How poetic, Click.  A real story, well done!

Graham Hart
        Participant

Love the title. The light has an eerily strange quality to it, almost as if this is a composite but closer inspection says no. The back of the man’s jacket is brighter but the left side of the woman’s face and her arm is brighter also. The pidgeons between them almost glow so perhaps the sun was poking through the clouds directly overhead? In any case, I like the strong contrast in light level across the image.

Click
          Participant

Not a composite, but it was strongly backlit. I darkened the busy background to bring the focus onto the couple. The lighting wasn’t ideal but I thought capturing this expressive instant was worth the effort.

Anonymous

Gone fishin’

Graham Hart
        Participant

Like the colours through this pic Michael.I can see about six different shades of blue and the pink and orange compliment them nicely. Wish it was me going fishing 🙁

Preston
        Participant

Love how crisp every line in this is Michael.  I chuckled a bit thinking what a T-Rex would look like baiting a hook and roaring in frustrating.

Click
      Participant

California Street

Street

Graham Hart
        Participant

Great treatment Click, it really suits this scene. Which software did you use and was it a preset or hand-crafted?

Click
          Participant

I used the phone app, SuperPhoto for IOS and played with the sliders until I got something interesting.

Click
      Participant

Exodus

Exodus

Bobbie
        Participant

Very effective. Did you have to wait long?

Click
          Participant

I returned to this vantage point three times over three weeks and waited for people to walk by. I spent maybe 15 minutes each time, collecting dozens of shadows.

LeanneC
        Participant

I am like Bobbie…lots of questions about how you did this. Are you on an overpass? This is a very neat perspective, with the shadows and the word, telling an interesting story.

Click
          Participant

Taken from the upper floor of a parking garage, looking down at the car exit driveway.

Mistyisle
        Participant

Clever!

Dave Watkins
        Participant

Great shot Click. Your persistence paid off.

ElinL
        Participant

Great shot !

Graham Hart
        Participant

I know its not the ST but…..

Fantastic! These sort of shots define ‘street’ for me. I’m no expert and truthfully know nothing of the craft but I think the very essence of street photography requires people in the shot, otherwise it’s just….photography of streets. No-one’s feelings get hurt in this shot, no-one’s privacy is violated, anonymity is assured but it reflects daily life on the street as people go about their business.

The very creative angle of shooting reduces the people to just shadows of themselves and their real shadows become the main players interacting with the sign writ large across the scene as they enact the very word they walk across.

Simply wonderful! A definite POTW contender for mine.

Robert Apple

Your Photo was recognized in the Members Picks Week of April 15 Forum  ⬅ Click Here

Bobbie
      Participant

“Where to now?”

LeanneC
        Participant

Interesting shot, Bobbie. Is this an unusual moment of calm in an otherwise busy station?

Bobbie
          Participant

I have no idea Leanne. This was in Toronto and it was the first and only time I was in the train station. We were walking around and just stopped in for a few minutes to see it.

Graham Hart
        Participant

I know the feeling that that girl appears to exhibit. “Where the hell am I?”

Quiet but noisy 🙂

Bobbie
          Participant

Thanks for your comment Graham.

Lenny Wollitz
        Participant

No doubt who the subject is or what the story is.  Good use of negative space.  Very nice!

Bobbie
          Participant

Thanks for your comment Lenny 🙂

LeanneC
      Participant

I don’t do a lot of street shots but I had to laugh when I saw the topic, as I just posted a rare one on Flickr. It was taken on a recent trip to Victoria, B.C. The line-up is for some of the best fish and chips (and deep-fried pickles) you can get. Taken in the evening with the stretched shadows I couldn’t resist snapping this one.

They are definitely Worth the Wait:

Worth the Wait

Bobbie
        Participant

If I ever get out that way I’ll write you for the address, Leanne. I’ve never tasted (or heard of) deep-fried pickles 🙂

Dave Watkins
        Participant

The long shadows really accentuate the over all composition. Looks good. I’ve never heard of deep-fried pickles either. I’m pretty sure I’d like them a lot.  Had some great fish and chips last time we went to the coast.

Graham Hart
        Participant

As a fish ‘n chip afficionado (born in the UK), I have never heard of deep-fried pickle either but since I have had a life-long serious addiction to all things pickle, the concept excites me. I like the pic Leanne, the shadows give it a nice, end-of-day fish & chip comforting feeling and their’s is obviously of very good quality for such a queue to form. I really want to see someone up close in the FG eating the stuff, I can almost smell the vinegar.

Bobbie
          Participant

As someone really turned off by the smell of vinegar, I hope it’s optional 🙂

LeanneC
            Participant

Optional with the fish and chips, Bobbie. But vinegar is kind of required for the pickles! 😉 LOL! They are quite simply battered pickles (sliced or quartered) and deep-fried. If you like deep-fried zucchini, that is comparable. But the pickles are tastier IMO! Now I am hungry!

Elysia
        Participant

Beautiful shot! I love how the gentleman is gazing pensively into the long shadow.

Tersha
      Keymaster

I don’t do much street photography, but I liked the leading lines in this, plus the artwork on the right was done by children that I knew 20 odd years ago.

Leading lines

Mistyisle
        Participant

VG, Diane, makes one stop and ponder!

Dave Watkins
        Participant

I like the composition. And for me I find that all the narrow lines “inside” the broader leading lines add something extra to the shot.

Graham Hart
        Participant

Nice pic Diane. The couple make it. You should check facebook to see if those children (now grown up) are on there and post them a copy of the pic 🙂

Mistyisle
      Participant

The Busker

Dorothy
        Participant

Nice Mistyisle! i love the b&w and even though the background seems busy, i like how the windows are “squared” by the tiles and only because there are so many watches in the windows and the busker (merchant-performer) it brought to mind the street merchants that open their coat and have watches for sale. my mind does wander 🙂

ElinL
        Participant

Love the BnW version of this image Misty !

Graham Hart
        Participant

I like the B&W too. It gives her a radiance which draws the eye quite strongly.

Tom M
        Participant

I like this a lot too. What I really like is the guy on the left just starting to go through…

Andre P.
        Participant

Good B&W, with the singer being slightly highlighted.

Robert Apple

Your Photo was recognized in the Members Picks Week of April 15 Forum  ⬅ Click Here

Graham Hart
      Participant

Manhole Cover (doesn’t get any ‘streetier’)

billyspad
        Blocked

Graham I much prefer this to the oft taken as “street”snaps where the privacy of perfect strangers is intruded upon by a sneaky unknown with a camera, who after slinking off then shares the shot without permission on the net, in an attempt to impress their peers with their artistic intent which is supposed to show what a real photographer they are.

Whew that feels better Billy has had his rant!

Graham Hart
          Participant

I get where you’re coming from Billy but in today’s world where just about everyone on the planet has a phone/camera in their pocket, or more accurately in their hands, if you venture outdoors…photas are inevitable. Its a brave new world not for the sensitive soul.

I’m too concerned about so called ‘big game hunters’ shooting endangered species to be worried about togs shooting street scenes and catching people walking by.

LeanneC
        Participant

Great one for the patterns challenge too, Graham. I like the symmetry.

The Block Arcade, Melbourne.

DSC04632

billyspad
        Blocked

Love your processing here my man.

Graham Hart
        Participant

Nice one David. Arcades, malls etc always seem to get the lion’s share of creative architecture and design. In older times, architecture like this was made outside but today it seems to be all indoors.

billyspad
      Blocked

Certainly aint street so maybe qualifies as urban? Not great with labels so lets just say it what is known as a Sari-Sari store which like most is attached to the house behind it and manned by the lady of the house and the kids usually. Sells candy snacks posh sari stores have a fridge for cold drinks and you can buy a single cigarette and light it with the lighter securely fixed to the grill. All have metal grills as robberies at these places are not uncommon. With reference to an earlier rant I sat with the lady in the picture and had a coke after taking the shot.

Graham Hart
        Participant

Nice ‘slice of life’ shot Billy giving us an insight into your (and her) world. What are the little splashes of yellow dotted around the image on the right side and on the edge of the concrete slab?

billyspad
          Blocked

This is definitely her world mate. The lucky folks like Mrs Billy and I reside in places you would consider normal. This womans world is never far away but you would not want to live there.

They are leaves I think. Trees shed foliage continually here and the sun dries them out within a few hours. Its hot here mate like 36 degrees today. Hot enough to boil a monkey’s bum as an Aussie would say.

Dorothy
      Participant

Okay, haven’t done much street photography but this one stuck in my mind.  I had spent the day at the Nielsen Art Museum (KCMO) and paused to look out a window and saw this young man working out beneath the Thinker and the famous Kansas City Shuttlecock.  Had to take the picture.Urban Workout at Art Museum

billyspad
        Blocked

Heavy on the vignette but really suits this image

Dorothy
          Participant

Hi billyspad: thanks, i was hoping i hadn’t overdone it, just thought it helped bring one’s attention to what i thought was the subject.

Graham Hart
        Participant

Good chance capture Dorothy. I agree with Billy about the vignette, without it the key figures would be lost.

Dorothy
          Participant

Thanks Graham: exactly how i felt about it glad it didn’t end up too much.

Tom M
      Participant

Played In the Shade…

billyspad
        Blocked

Gotta admire these guys. Wearing sandals with pride without a care that the fashion police may be about to pounce and drag them away.

Graham Hart
          Participant

They’d only get a warning Billy. If they’d been wearing socks too…..lock ’em up and throw away the key!

Graham Hart
        Participant

They look like a jazz ensemble?

Tom M
          Participant

Yes they are a jazz ensemble, good guess. The saxophonist is my grandson and the bass player his girlfriend. They’re called the 3 Little Bops plus one(they originally didn’t have the keyboard player, but added him in later). They’re young accomplished musicians going to a local University(Tennessee Tech)…

ElinL
            Participant

Love this image Tom. Lucky to have musicians in the family, they bring a lot of joy !

Bobbie
      Participant

“Simple joys”

ElinL
        Participant

Sweet image Bobbie. @Billyspad: I understand and respect your objections to sneaking in on innocent strangers with your camera and publishing the result without their consent. I am reluctant to do so why I rarely shoot street. However, I think you have to be of an extra perverted mindset to associate this image with anything less innocent than it represents. Would a burkha be a more acceptable attire ?

Graham Hart
        Participant

Great pic Bobbie and great title. I’d have no problem whatsoever taking this or storing it because it is simply a lovely, well composed picture of childhood innocence and joy. Anyone who sees something more sinister has the problem, not me.

Billy’s right about today’s overly PC correct society but I refuse to bow to the nonsense pervading our world by those who would imprint their own values onto mine.

eg: not celebrating Xmas because it offends another culture. WTF!

OK, I’ve had my rant too now. Gonna relax and paint my ferrett’s toenails.

billyspad
          Blocked

Make sure you get written consent before picking up the nail varnish and be very careful where you put your hands when handling that ferret. Ferret breasts and genitals are off limits remember. The FFF (Ferrets for Freedom) society will be watching your actions closely!

Re the image, it is full of innocence but in today’s society its the innocence of the snapper that is questioned. Not your ideal society and not mine either but the rules are made by others who we may not agree with but ignore them at your peril.

Bobbie
        Participant

I never expected an image of a child playing out in plain site on a busy street in Warsaw would cause such a stir. If anyone is bothered by it, I apologize.

Graham Hart
          Participant

I don’t think anyone here is bothered by the image Bobbie. We’re just waxing lyrical about the pitfalls of modern society.

ElinL
          Participant

Agree with Graham, nothing to apologise for, just thanks for sharing a lovely image.

Bobbie
          Participant

Thanks for your comments Elin & Graham. I’m not apologizing for the image, just to anyone who might have a problem with it.

Gray B
        Participant

Bobbie, I absolutely love this composition. It reminds me of the children’s book The Little Red Balloon”. Kent will endorse the red touch.

billyspad
      Blocked

One half of me says this is a rather nice image and the title suits it perfectly. The other half of me says I’m a guy and in today’s politically over correct society I should not really be admiring this. Old guy looking at scantily clad young girls…………………………..

Good shot but it would never be stored on my hard drive.

billyspad
        Blocked

Mmmmm ElinL with the ruffled feathers calm down girl huh. Remember I am a white guy living in a part of Asia where sex trafficking involving young children is not unknown. Entrapment of the innocent by poor families in collusion with police officers is not unknown. Hence my view on what could be a shot taken without permission and my view also that it would be bad news stored on the hard drive of any white guy. Then ask yourself how comfortable you would be if a member of your family took to sneaking around taking pictures of children proclaiming it was an innocent act? Would they be likely to possess the perverted mindset or would that still be me?

Bruce Gordon
          Participant

I feel your pain Billyspad! I love children, and I would love to capture their candid expressions of joy and wonderment as they go about the heady business of being a child. However, a man taking pictures of children is bound to be noticed and reported. Who needs that? The girl who’s image I posted in the shark tank was part of a family photo session and her parents were aware of what I was doing. I only take pics with parent’s permisssion. Preferably in the form of a model release.

Now, adults on the street are fair game….

Having said that, I’m jealous of your living in Asia.

billyspad
            Blocked

Bruce mate living in a third world Asian country is not for everyone but if you can adapt and stop comparing everything to where you have come from it can be a truly wonderful experience.

ElinL
      Participant

Manhole covers

One for GrahamMy street_2

and one for billyspad

My street_1

billyspad
        Blocked

ElinL HR I know as Human Resources? The Urban Dictionary meaning is possibly close to the truth about those who take this up as a profession. Could be construed as rudeness when used about a fellow Light Stalker. But ya would not wish to be impolite to ol’ Billy wud ya?

bucweeet
          Participant

Must admit Billy… the urban dictionary definition seems to be compiled from the minds of a lot of unhappy people; or people who have been called upon to act and failed miserably (and, as typical, tend to blame every body else but themselves).  I’m not saying/implying that the HR is the greatest aspect of a company or corporation either.

ElinL
          Participant

Mr billyspad, the HR guys are responsible for pipelines and transport of hot geyser water to warm up houses in Reykjavik. Without them life here would not be worth living 😉

Graham Hart
        Participant

These really are quite interesting objects to snap Elin. Would make a good challenge as there seems to be so many different styles and varieties. The first one looks like a seal on a castle door from Game Of Thrones 🙂

ElinL
          Participant

Agree Graham. The design of manhole covers can be exceptionally beautiful, but is rarely noticed, either because they are covered in dirt or people do not look at them that way. A good idea for a challenge !

Click
            Participant

Yes! Let’s have a manhole cover challenge.

Elysia
      Participant

London Bus

A minute of quiet in London

Bruce Gordon
        Participant

Very nice! Great use of color. (Colour) 😉

Graham Hart
        Participant

Sure this isn’t somewhere near Kent? It is a dominant red after all 🙂

Dave Watkins
        Participant

Very nice. Excellent use of perspective.

Elysia
        Participant

Thank you all for the positive feedback! 🙂

billyspad
      Blocked

Makes me homesick.

bucweeet
      Participant

Had to go to the archives for this one…. through the window of a parking garage on a winter’s eve (or if one is living where Kent does… taken two days ago).

Graham Hart
        Participant

Very cool. I like this pic very much particularly the treatment and the soft and sharp lines throughout.

bucweeet
          Participant

Thank you for the kind words Graham.

Tersha
        Keymaster

I like this a lot, too Paul, not sure why, but it draws me in.

bucweeet
          Participant

Thank you Diane!

For me, I think it’s the idea that I know ‘what should’ be there, but the lack of detail creates a somewhat sense of mystery making me question an ordinary life event (walking through a dark parking garage on a wet night).  And then as Elin suggests, the alternating light and shadows brings the reality back to the mystery and draws me in.

Robert Apple

ElinL
        Participant

Agree with Graham and Diane, a super cool shot – maybe its the pattern of lines created by alternating shadows and light that draws you in.

bucweeet
          Participant

I always enjoy your comments Elin.  Thank you!

Andre P.
      Participant

Underground street. The “artists” have escaped …

Graham Hart
        Participant

This is the worldwide wallpaper of a frustrated youth who in days gone by might have gone to art school instead of the local hardware store to craft their art.

Brianna Robinson
      Participant

Morning walk for an ROTC Student

Graham Hart
        Participant

I like the tall gravitas this pic carries Brianna.  The uniformed man passing the  columns seems like a metaphor for what we fight for. To build something from nothing, to maintain order in a crazy world. The meter reminds us that we pay for that order in other ways too 🙂

billyspad
          Blocked

Pass the bong mate let me get up there with you! To build something from nothing whilst feeding the meter lol lol lol

JasenkaG
      Keymaster

This was taken during a protest against the current Serbian president here in Belgrade.

Graham Hart
        Participant

What a great capture Jasenka. No problems taking this street pic of strangers I’ll wager! I like the way the crowd is looking one way and the wheelchair guy is either looking at you or the same thing the woman with the camera is.

billyspad
        Blocked

Nice journalistic capture.

Kent DuFault
      Participant

“Cat Butt”

Graham Hart
        Participant

What a great eye you have! You too Kent 🙂

billyspad
        Blocked

I am a Cat         Robbie Ellis

I hate zis man.
        Don’t want to know him so I turn and show him my butt.
        Yes, I raise my tail at him and give him a nice good view
        And fart in his general direction.

Bobbie
        Participant

Right up your alley (driveway) Kent! I’m glad you also included the interesting tire tracks. They add another layer to the story.

Dorothy
        Participant

i love this.  it’s like somebody busted the fence and the owner fixed it and said “kiss my butt” 🙂

Kent DuFault
          Participant

I like that thought process Dorothy!

Kent DuFault
      Participant

“Buenos Aires – The View From The Freeway”

Graham Hart
        Participant

Its like a scene out of Bladerunner. Funny how we’re not allowed to look at our mobile phones while driving and yet yanking our head sideways to gawk at advertising while piloting a ton or two of steel and rubber down a freeway is OK.

Kent DuFault
          Participant

It does kind of resemble the city scenes in Bladerunner!

Kent DuFault
          Participant

I was riding in the back of a taxi… so no animals were harmed in the making of this picture. 😉

Kent DuFault
      Participant

“Red Sign From The Doom And Gloom”

Graham Hart
        Participant

Makes me want to trot over there and read it 🙂

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Easy street

billyspad
        Blocked

Let me guess……..Butlins circa 1957 Skegness South Beach…….for the members who know what Butlins is.

Graham Hart
          Participant

In a broad northern English accent;

“Butlins? Luxury! We used to walk ‘t end uh street fer holidee and consider owrsels lucky! And you try and tell kids today that…they won’t believe yer!”

Graham Hart
        Participant

I find these structures very interesting Rob. Such a lot of work gone into substantial foundations and then such a flimsy structure built on top of them. Are they dwellings or change rooms at the beach or…..?

billyspad
          Blocked

Being built to house Bitcoin investors when the truth finally hits them.

Holly K
      Participant

Old Town Upland, CA

Holly K
      Participant

Upland, CA

billyspad
      Blocked

Are we allowed to question in this forum or indeed be a tad negative? Can these images of CA really be considered street “photography”. If they can I’m a little lost here. Two snaps of people doing absolutely nothing other than going about their normal lives. One to be entered in the competition for the One Billionth shot of someone using a cell phone and the other one taken from a distance that allows the snapper to run away in case someone gets pissed at having a camera pointed at them without permission.

Holly the last thing I wish to appear as is rude and dismissive and maybe you saw something in these scenes that I am missing?

Holly K
        Participant

Sorry if I have the wrong idea of street photography and that I didn’t get up in people’s faces, but yes, I think street photography can portray people going about their normal business.  I thought the teen was interesting because he was in his own world and the shops show a piece of yesterday.  In the other shot, I think the barber stripes made for interesting color and again the shops and awnings show a piece of yesterday.

Moderators, if you would like me to delete these, I will do so.

billyspad
          Blocked

Holly I would hate it and protest if the moderators removed your work. You feel its valid and that should be good enough. Not understanding this type of “street” is a Billy problem. Many will come down firmly on your side trying to say there is interest in random shots of perfect strangers taken without their knowledge whilst they do nothing in particular and certainly nothing interesting. I tend to think I could pop out to my local high street and take 200 similar shots whilst window shopping.

However each to his own and thank you for getting back to me with your point of view. We may not agree but I would hate you to stop doing what you enjoy and consider a valid art form.

Dave Watkins
          Participant

Hi Holly K. There is no right or wrong in photography. Or any art form for that matter. Your vision is as important as anybody else’s.

I saw a recently posted snap shot of a child sitting in their mothers lap. The epitome of  ” people doing absolutely nothing other than going about their normal lives.” Take the criticism from others with a grain of salt. Photograph and post what pleases YOU. That’s what’s most important.

billyspad
            Blocked

I would second that advice vehemently. One mans trash is another mans treasure. Stay true to your vision and as Dave says just please yourself.

Rob Wood (Admin)
          Keymaster

I like the shot.

Billy can eat a cactus. 🙂

Robert Apple

Prickly pear is rather tasty, but I think he might enjoy the peyote a bit too much.

billyspad
            Blocked

Rob mate I took the trouble to explain why I did not think the shot was particularly good. I like the shot is a tad lazy my friend. At least tell the punter what u like about it.

Never confuse prickly with pure blunt honesty. Robert never tried peyote, in the UK natural hallucinogenics are in mushroom form, but I’m pretty sure I would readily adapt to cactus based mind altering substances

Robert Apple

The shark tank is for biting Billy, to answer your question. This forum isn’t  intended for negative critique.

billyspad
          Blocked

So folks post here looking to receive a nice pat on the head? What is the challenge in that. You dig out  piece of crap from your archives that loosely fits the bill and post it knowing it will receive praise. True opinions not welcomed? A showcase for the good the bad and the indifferent all to be treated to a nice sugar coating.

Rob Wood (Admin)
            Keymaster

The group has worked well for 9 years with negative critique kept mostly to the ST and rudeness kept nowhere. This means newbies are not afraid of joining in the forum. It means we have a steady flow of new members and a friendly vibe. And that is what the group has traditionally reacted best to and what we’ll be sticking with.

ElinL
              Participant

Thanks Rob for pointing this out – shows the necessity of having a good captain aboard this ship. It seems that Billy and Graham are set on redefining the aim and function of the weekend challenge. I am not comfortable with that and guess that I am not the only participant feeling that way. To Graham and Billy, John Bercow´s “Order ! Order !” is fitting.

billyspad
                Blocked

Oh ElinL of the ruffled feathers. I believe this started because I asked if one was allowed to ask questions in this forum. It appears not which is fine, if of limited use to me. I nor I think Graham by what he has said have any need or desire to change anything in Light Stalking.

John Bercow has indeed become a media darling and star which has covered up the charges laid against him for bullying his staff and presided over a lame house of commons offering little guidance to resolve the slight matter of Brexit. Moral of the tale do not believe everything you read and ignore 90% of social media. So what’s all this about Order?

Graham Hart
                Participant

Hmmm, seems some feathers are ruffled and if I have contributed to that, I apologise. Certainly not my intent or style.

Two points;

1. I believe the comments in this thread were offered in the spirit of useful learning tempered with a little humour to soften a harsh truth.
                2. These comments belong in the ST, not here.

This is the oversight here. Trying to help in the wrong forum….and for that your honour, I plead guilty.

Now about that redefining…..how about we rename Lightstalkers and just call the whole site The Shark Tank? (that’s more humour BTW)

Graham Hart
          Participant

I for one Billy admire the unfettered honesty of your comments. I can see how some may find it a tad harsh at times but like the man said…’no pain, no gain’. Having said that, I didn’t think your comments were in the least bit inappropriate. Also, you often cloak your strongly held opinions in humour, which is compromise enough given your passion for railing against the ordinary.

As that flying font of wisdom Mary Poppins once said…”Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down” (Although I suspect you’ve long since abrogated the personal need for sugar).

Some (like me) have a thick skin and take all comments as just someone else’s opinion. Stronger opinions attract stronger reactions and in doing so make us question our own. There is learning in this. Its all a storm in a teacup by now and hopefully we can move on.

Graham Hart
        Participant

Holly, I agree with Billy. The shots don’t feel ‘crafted’ at all, just snaps in passing of not particularly interesting subjects. Your first pic “the interesting teen in his own world” probably needs to show this theme more by way of zooming in to that world he is inhabiting as well as the shop’s “piece of yesterday”. To help explain my thinking, I’ve done a quick edit for you to see what I mean. Some matte work on the BG to lift the boy out and push the focus onto him more. The story now is about the juxtaposition of modern day music (earplugs, iphone etc) against a backdrop of the old days of vinyl records.

Graham Hart
          Participant

In your second pic, you were attracted to the colour in the barber poles and the awnings. The rest of the pic is not really adding to this theme and so I think it should go, again with a heavy crop. After I did the crop, the new image then suggested a new path to take (to me) and so I ran a filter over it to give it a more aged look and invoke a 70’s vibe (I think?)

My point is to try and find the essence of what you first saw when you took the pic and then work on developing that idea. Sometimes we get lucky and capture it in camera perfectly. This has never happened to me so Edward Scissorhands is my name and cropping is my game 🙂

Holly K
            Participant

Good crop ideas.

billyspad
          Blocked

My hat goes off to Mr Scissorhands! Honesty where it was needed ie the shots aint great and then taking the trouble to look further to improve them. I for my sins just knew they were not good photographs but lacked our mans skill to advise further. Help was needed help was given I rest my case M’Lud.

Tersha
          Keymaster

Graham, you should know that Holly has ‘NO’ to editing her photos.

Graham Hart
            Participant

Whoops! Didn’t check, my bad and apologies Holly. I was so caught up in the chit-chat above that I didn’t even think to look first.

Wish there was an icon clearly visible with the pic to indicate the editing preference.

Dorothy
      Participant

Last year in April attended the local Kite Festival and although i was across the field it felt like she was looking right at me.  I call this “Keeping A Watchful Eye”Keeping A Watchful Eye - Kite Festival as they walked through the crowds to make sure all was well. (f/4.8, 1/320 ss, 100 iso, 150mm(75-300 lens))

billyspad
      Blocked

Dorothy I reckon she was wishing she was not on duty so she could come across and and remove the camera from your hands before smashing it into pieces. She looks as mean as a junkyard dog with muscles on her eyelids!. You try a stunt like this in Phils with the wrong policeman and you go home walking funny cos you have a Nikon wedged where it was never meant to be.

Anyway nice shot of Lee Summit’s finest showing the vigilance required at kite festivals. Its a little known fact that Bin Laden was radicalized whilst kite flying.

Dorothy
        Participant

Oh Billyspad!  it has taken me a little time to adjust to your sense of humor but i love it.  you had me chuckling the whole time i read your comment.  seriously, i did question the sense of taking her picture, she really looked stern.  but hey, what she gonna do? tons of witnesses 🙂 and all the bad guys took one look at her and went elsewhere.  (oh no, i am still chuckling, bin laden? really? lol)

billyspad
          Blocked

Dorothy if I make you chuckle my day is complete. Your God put you on this earth to enjoy its gifts and to have fun. Serious is for them other folks, lets leave em to it.

Darren
      Participant

Photographer Tudorish With Assitant - Leake Street London

Preston
        Participant

Gotta love the classic photograph of a photographer Darren! I like how the graffiti contrasts with the grey in the street and clothes

Darren
      Participant

Amsterdam Street Photography

Ed
      Participant

I went to Worcester, Massachusetts for another attempt at ST last Saturday. This thread serendipitously opened just before I left. I tried to post yesterday and failed at moving images from Flickr to here, but have just again reviewed the instructions, and quite obviously I am missing some critical action step.  I did post a throwdown of wall murals and street graphics which are duplicated here.

https://flic.kr/p/24VZhEr

https://flic.kr/p/2e9GbpM

https://flic.kr/p/TpiZJW

https://flic.kr/p/24VZvy2

https://flic.kr/p/2fxAMMc

https://flic.kr/p/2fxAV7x

https://flic.kr/p/2fsVCPA

https://flic.kr/p/24VZM14

https://flic.kr/p/RMbByF

Robert Apple

On flicker Hit the share button and select embed, copy and paste using the text tab section on this screen above the typing area. Delete this section at the end of the embed text or it will show up as senseless text after every image.
        ( <script async src=”//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js” charset=”utf-8″></script> )

Tersha
        Keymaster

I’ve done the first 2 for you Ed, I don’t know why it didn’t work for you.

IMG_2303

IMG_2279

Ed
          Participant

Thanks, Robert and Tersha. I’ve gone back to the original instructions I was given when I asked (I copied them to a file), and I’ve tried it every which way.  It used to work just fine; I wouild open the image on flickr with me logeed in, click on the arrow (“share photos) in the middle of the three icons to the extreme right under the picture, cut and paste the coded link under “share”, and put that into the post here.

I have had continued troubles with my “vintage” 10.13.6 High Sierra Mac OS. for reasons that are unclear to me. I do not have the $$ to upgrade.  I have had previous troubles getting Apple’s OS to work with Canon (since resolved), and now I am getting somewhat regular and annoying “freezes” when I am online.  The post-production software from Apple works fine, I can upload to Flickr without difficulty, and I am online a good deal of the day.

Am I supposed to put that data into the link box? the picture box? I have also tried the upload protocol with the embed link and process, and every other variable I can think of. Maybe it’s because I am in the Northern Hemisphere and the magnetic properties are reversed?  This too will pass.

IMG_2268

Robert Apple

How interesting, I looked at the http on how Tersha posted, I tried it and that way wont work when I do it, dont know why, maybe it has to do with regional servers, I tried it the way I told you to do it and it worked , Its how I always post from Flikr. You can click edit on your post to see the http Ed. This isn’t the first time I have seen this. I know Tobie in South Africa has to use this method as well.

Graham Hart
              Participant

I think I do what Ed has attempted and it works for me. I right click on the image in flickr, select ‘copy link address’ then paste it into LS. It appears as Ed’s links do above but after I click on the ‘submit’ button, the image appears.

Ed
            Participant

IMG_2281

https://flic.kr/p/TpiZJW

Well, this worked.  It is a very large wall-sized mural in the Grid District overlooking an empty loy on a street whoae poarking meters I did not crop out so I could add the “title”:  “Wanna Go Parking?”

Preston
      Participant

“Firewatch”

Dave Watkins
        Participant

Good eye and post treatment Preston. Nicely done.

Preston
          Participant

Thanks Dave!  I really struggled on the best way to process this one.

Graham Hart
        Participant

I like this pic Preston, the perspective works really well with the BG houses. I don’t know if you changed the hydrant from red to yellow or if it was already yellow but given Kent’s recent discussion about the power of the colour red…..?

Preston
          Participant

Thanks Graham!  I remember reading Kent’s post regarding red in images and…the darn thing was yellow.  The hydrants in our town are all yellow for some reason. I do however look for reds now and noticed they get a better response when I post them (not that I’m taking pictures solely for likes).

Kent DuFault
        Participant

I’m not a big fan of the selective color technique. But, I have to say Preston, “You have a real eye for it.” This shot is an excellent use of the technique, as were your shots of the soldiers. I encourage you to explore this part of your creativity, because you significantly stand out from others in this area.

Preston
          Participant

I appreciate the comments, especially coming from seasoned photographers.  To be honest, I’m not sure how I feel about selective color yet, but I’m having fun and trying to find a bit of style that works for me.  More to come in this style.  Thanks Kent!

Robert Apple

This is at the Height of my Urban Photography, Taken in the town of Clairmont Wyoming, The population was 142 at the 2010 census. And the town Jail. A 2 cell almost hundred year old stucco building where you get a plank board bed and a cell. If you don’t piss off the guard you might get a pot to piss in. No heat no windows that opened, no mattress and no place for a guard to sit, left on your own you have plenty of bars bolts and locks.
      The Clairmont Jail

And one more from this Booming  Metropolis
      Tomahawk Feeds

And one from my Home Town Of Buffalo Wyoming.

This Barn Built in the Mid to Late 1800’s was Owned by One of the Principals in the Johnson County Cattle War. The building is now surrounded by the Town of Buffalo .
      Old Wood

Just for reference the red dot marks the location of the Barn in our Town.

Graham Hart
        Participant

Now that’s an interesting new dimension to this forum Robert. The google map adds something to the discussion by letting us go discover the place for ourselves. Very cool.

Anne Hornsby
      Participant

Twilight walk.    Straight out of camera….

Just Past Twilight

ElinL
        Participant

Wow – great shot – which camera ?

Holly K
        Participant

This has great contrast!

Graham Hart
        Participant

Great shot Anne. A rainbow of colour and interesting backlit subject. Like the cameo by puddle too 🙂

Kent DuFault
        Participant

Very nice Anne. Love the use of color and shape!

Anne Hornsby
      Participant

Thanks Elin and Holly.   I may have cheated placing this photo here, but it seemed so perfect for the theme.     I took it with my IPhone 8+, which I now think of as a camera that also does phone calls and texts since that’s pretty much how I use it.

f/1.8, 1/4 sec, ISO 1oo

I picked up this view of my Iphone from a talk at our local camera club by photographer Michael Koren, who only uses his IPhone for his urban and street photography  (plus a lots of apps to edit).

The image:  I heard my friend calling, turned around and saw this amazing sky and interesting color and shape combos.   The IPhone captured everything that grabbed me about the moment.   (Of course, I won’t give up my Nikon!  🙂    )

Tersha
        Keymaster

Really good shot Anne, it doesn’t matter whether you use a camera or your phone for the Weekend Challenge, whatever works! 🙂

Anne Hornsby
          Participant

Thanks, Graham, Kent, and Tersha!    Graham, I’m a fan of the puddle cameo, too.  🙂

Frank
      Participant

Both Sides Now   (sorry about chopping off legs)pedestrians

Ken Tam
      Participant

share bicycle in china

Viewing 40 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author