Weekend Photography Challenge #434 Inspired by ……

Latest Posts Photography Forums Weekend Photography Challenge Weekend Photography Challenge #434 Inspired by ……

This topic contains 160 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  Elysia 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Tersha
    Keymaster

Photos that have been inspired by ….
    other photographers, interesting posts here, or elsewhere, famous paintings, a new style,
    … or a new lens, or …..?

https://www.lightstalking.us/photographs-of-radios/ by Federico Alegria

https://www.lightstalking.us/photographs-of-campfires/ by Angie

https://www.lightstalking.us/photographs-of-clocks/ by Angie

https://www.lightstalking.us/photographs-of-campfires/ by Angie

https://www.lightstalking.us/photographs-of-puffins/ by Angie

Michael
    Participant

Inspired by the stylized Japanese and Korean paintings, called sansuiga, I fashioned this image of my backyard to look like a painting on textured paper. Michael

Bobbie
      Participant

The processing totally fits with the scene. You’ve created a beautiful image Michael.

Gray B
      Participant

Michael, you absolutely caught a sansuiga effect and composition.  You have “inspired” me to go out and give it a try as well.  Thank you

Dorothy
      Participant

Lovely. Very soothing. Beautiful effect.     I want your back yard. 🙂

Michael
        Participant

Haha Dorothy, you are welcome to visit any time.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Beautiful Micheael, it’s worked really well, love it!

Anne Hornsby
      Participant

Wow.  fantastic Michael.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Terrific image Michael. Would suit some Japanese writing on it somewhere.

Michael
        Participant

I don’t know any Japanese, so I probably would end up like Ariana Grande and write “small Japanese Barbecue Grill” on the image.

ElinL
      Participant

Wonderful image Michael !

Michael
    Participant

Thanks Bobbie.

Bobbie
    Participant

Inspired by people’s stories

During a conference in England two friends and I decided to walk over to an old church in the area (parts of the church date back to the 12th century). Nearing the church we met a woman with a watering can in her hand. I stopped to talk to her and learned that her family has lived in the area for generations and most of them, including her husband, are buried in the church cemetery. We talked for about 15 minutes and she went off on her weekly visit to tend the graves and visit her loved ones.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Thoughtful shot Bobbie.

Bobbie
        Participant

Thanks for your comment Diane

Graham Hart
      Participant

Nice spot for a resting place. What part of the UK was it Bobbie?

Bobbie
        Participant

It’s a small place called Herstmonceux in East Sussex. Even the border official at the airport had never heard of it 🙂

Tersha
    Keymaster

Inspired to try something new with a new Petzval lens…

evening leaves

Graham Hart
      Participant

Interesting effect Diane. Is this purely as a result of the lens or was there movement involved as well?

Tersha
        Keymaster

Thanks Graham, no movement involved, just the lens plus heart-shaped aperture plate and a bit of basic processing in LR.

ElinL
      Participant

Beautiful – like this effect – is the new lens as tricky to use as the one you had before ?

Tersha
        Keymaster

Hi Elin, this is the Petzval Achromat, and, yes, I do find it easier to use than the other one. It’s easier to focus, as you can zoom on or out, just a little, to focus.

P71
    Participant

Inspired By staff and Members of Lightstalking.com , to get out and take more photos.

many thanks.

Bobbie
      Participant

P71 – Your inspiration paid off. The low angle and dof you chose is perfect for the image of this very determined looking duck. He made me smile.

P71
        Participant

Thank you Bobbie , i very much appreciate your words and will use them to keep pushing onwards , thank you.

Tersha , thanks again for the challenge you set us .. i love them and they allow me to see some fantastic photography from all you guys.

Have a great weekend , i will first cut my lawn and my neighbours , get my dog and camera and head to the hills for a few hours.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Sweet shot P71, you’ve caught the duck really well!

P71
        Participant

Thank you for your kind words.

Anne Hornsby
      Participant

Agree with Bobbie, especially re low angle.   Sometimes I get lazy about getting down on my knees or stomach.   You inspired me.

P71
        Participant

My knees are feeling it today lol , thank you for your comments.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Also agree with the low angle making for a good shot. As a rule I generally try to avoid getting too close to this planet because it’s too hard getting back up. Your shot has made me rethink my stance on this issue (pun intended) 🙂

ElinL
      Participant

Aw – so sweet 🙂

LeanneC
    Participant

This challenge pushed me to go back through some of my work and become more introspective. I think the one thing I can say is that many, if not most, of my images are inspired by others’ work. I am an experimental photographer in that I love trying out new things. If I see a technique or approach that interests me, I will try a version of it myself. Photography is a lot like teaching – you bounce ideas off of others, “steal” good ideas and make them your own – it is a collaborative endeavor and I love that. I spend good chucks of time looking at other people’s work and gaining inspiration from it. And of course, the Light Stalking community has played a huge role in that, for me.

So, thanks for the inspiration.

Recipe for Spring

Bobbie
      Participant

Striking image as usual Leanne. I’m always happy to see the effects of your experimental, experiential learning. You portrayed the graceful (dancing) flower and it’s water drops beautifully. The sharp focus is perfect in my view.

LeanneC
        Participant

Thank you Bobbie. You are always so generous with your kind comments.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Beautiful Leanne!

Anne Hornsby
      Participant

Well said, Leanne, about ideas move around.  Your flower images are wonderful!  Having a solid black background here is really interesting.

LeanneC
        Participant

Thank you Anne 🙂

Graham Hart
      Participant

Nice words Leanne and even nicer pic. I think this is a very moving image. Where there is light and water, life in all its glorious colour emerges.

LeanneC
        Participant

Thanks so much, Graham.

Frogdaily
      Participant

Stunning image Leanne!

LeanneC
        Participant

Thanks so much Frogdaily 🙂

Robert Apple

Your Photo was recognized in the Members Picks Week of May 13 Forum  ⬅ Click Here

ElinL
      Participant

Exquisite image Leanne – in spite of my acquired aversion to flower images with droplets.

Graham Hart
    Participant

My brother-in-law is an inspiration to me. He collects Pentax camera gear (lots of it) and he gifted me a whole bunch of DSLR gear after noticing my interest in photography when I began posting images on facebook taken with my mobile. Without him, I probably never would have become completely addicted to photography. Nature provided the beach and the sunset.

billyspad
      Blocked

Graham I was once inspired by my brother in law to tell Mrs Billy she was wrong. Not the wisest thing I have ever done. Just beware of being led astray by these inspirational relatives by marraige.

Lynne Guenther
        Participant

Your a funny guy Billy! Do you mind if I ask how old you are? You sometimes refer to yourself as ol’ Billy but I have a feeling you aren’t that old lol

Graham Hart
        Participant

Billy! You told your wife she was wrong? What the hell were you thinking?!?!? Are you OK? Are you eating again? Have the nightmares stopped?

Anne Hornsby
      Participant

Neat idea, Graham:  a portrait of your gear!

Preston
      Participant

I like your story Graham.  Reminds me of my brother-in-law sending an email with the subject “Buy This” and a link to my camera kit.

ElinL
      Participant

Your brother-in law is lucky to have such a receptive and talented victim to the bug.

Tom M
    Participant

I am inspired by so many in this group, especially Kent,Tersha,Billyspad,Leann,Graham and on and on…

Tersha
      Keymaster

An unusual take on a beautiful flower, and it works so well, love it Tom!

Anne Hornsby
      Participant

I have no idea what flower this is, but it’s beautiful, Tom.   I really like the composition.

Dorothy
      Participant

Fuchsias! i fell in love with them when we lived in California. Tom, this is a fantastic photo!

Graham Hart
      Participant

Wow! Amazingly crisp and clear yet silky smooth at the same time. Fantastic shot tom and the composition is perfect. A definite printer job!

Kent DuFault
      Participant

Wow! that is a BEAUTIFUL flower picture, Tom!

Tom M
        Participant

Thank you all for the kind words. It’s amazing what one can do with a white board behind some flowers and a little LR processing. I’m blushing…

ElinL
      Participant

Love it Tom !

chris pook
    Participant

Inspire by William Wegman;

If Grace Kelly was a dog...

Federico Alegria
      Participant

Nice jajajajaja

Tersha
      Keymaster

Had to Google William Wegman ….. you’ve got a good model, love it!

Anne Hornsby
      Participant

One of my favorites of yours, Chris!

Graham Hart
      Participant

Hope he/she got another treat for this Chris. Great pic but I’m not surprised the dog insisted on the shades so it wouldn’t be recognised on social media or in the local neighbourhood 🙂

Robert Apple

Looks more like the inspiration came from several alcoholic beverages.

ElinL
      Participant

Fantastic image LOL 🙂

Anne Hornsby
    Participant

LS has really inspired me to keep shooting and concentrate on building my skills.   I find the Challenges topics helpful, too.   And I’m especially grateful that I feel free to share my subset of odd photos that I love, inspired by other odd photos, e.g.,  Léo Berne “explaining”  life on earth in his “For the Aliens”..

Moving On....

Dorothy
      Participant

Anne: cool. at first i thought this was in a theater, closer inspection it appears to be some type of transportation, in motion.  i really like how there is movement blur and also sharp details. wow.

Graham Hart
      Participant

What a great image Anne. The blown out area actually adds to the scene and sense of movement as everything rushes into the light. Not sure if its the top deck of a tourist bus emerging from a tunnel?

Anne Hornsby
      Participant

Thanks, Dorothy, Graham, P71!   It’s a shot from the back of a river touring boat as we go under a bridge on a cloudy day.

Kent DuFault
      Participant

I find this shot very compelling Anne. It has a real energy to it!

ElinL
      Participant

Great image Anne !

P71
    Participant

It looks like a tunnel arc while sitting at the rear of a boat , lovely motion.

I have always been inspired by Corrie White – the Queen of water drops!

DSC00872

DSC01882

Graham Hart
      Participant

I ran out of superlatives a long time ago to describe these images of yours David. Magnificent as always.

Dorothy
      Participant

Oh my goodness, David! These look like sculptured pieces of glass art work. Graham is right, how many ways to express awesomeness?

Gray B
      Participant

If Corrie White is the queen sir, you are the king.

ElinL
        Participant

Agree with Gray

Frogdaily
      Participant

Always love your WaterDrop photography David – you have inspired me to do them.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

My Feet Over Lake Superior 1992 20x30

Inspired by Photographer Pete Turner, who was known for using an unusual camera POV and color schemes when creating pictures of normal objects.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

🙂  What a fun shot! The composition and the contrast between the feet and muted colors of the rest of the image is superb. Maybe next time add some bright red nail polish to those toes. We all know what the color red can add to an image. 🙂

Graham Hart
      Participant

If ever there was any doubt about photography being art, this pic is an excellent example of it Kent. Strangely compelling but as you said, it’s the POV and the colour palette which keep me looking at it longer and longer……

Kent DuFault
        Participant

That’s quite a compliment Graham. Thank you so much.

Anne Hornsby
      Participant

I love this, Kent!   The POV, the green vs grey, the linear lines vs. the irregular shapes of sand, rocks, water, and the feet peeking out and linking green and grey.  Very cool.    I agree with Graham, I keep looking at it.

Bobbie
      Participant

I love your eye Kent. The contrasting color and shades, and of course the perspective, turn something “minor” into a great image.

Kent DuFault
        Participant

That comment made my day. Thank you Bobbie!

JasenkaG
      Keymaster

This shot works great! It’s both fun and visually engaging.

Frogdaily
      Participant

I agree with the others, the composition, the tones and colors, the shapes, the POV all work well in this image Kent!

Robert Apple

Your Photo was recognized in the Members Picks Week of May 13 Forum  ⬅ Click Here

Holly K
    Participant

Inspired by the Science Fiction ChannelClouds

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Great shot Holly. I love cloudscapes and this is a doozy.

Holly K
        Participant

Thanks, Dave and Graham.  I kept hoping that the visitors were not from that Twilight Zone episode, “To Serve Man.” 🙂

Dave Watkins
          Participant

IT’S A COOKBOOK!!!

Dorothy
            Participant

lol – How To Serve Man

Dave Watkins
            Participant

If I’m remembering correctly “It’s a cookbook!” is the last line of this episode. Is definitely in my top five Twilight Zone episodes. 🙂

Graham Hart
      Participant

Great cloud pic. Just watched Independence Day (1 & 2) a couple of days ago on TV so that looming shape in the clouds is very topical for me.

bucweeet
    Participant

Inspired by Reflections…

Almost perfect until one pays attention to the land/mud on the LH side and you’ll notice that they are distinct and separate.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Love this minimalism bucweeet. I have a similar shot of a duck on one leg reflected in the water but mine has a busy BG. Seeing this has made me want to go back and do some PP to try for a similar look. The plain grey BG really adds to the moment by placing a stronger importance on the bird’s view backwards to the dirt patch.

bucweeet
        Participant

Thank you Graham!  I think the grey was caused by a heavy overcast sky and it was reflected in the water.

Frogdaily
      Participant

Excellent capture bucweeet! Love all three of your images

bucweeet
    Participant

Inspiration…   It’s a baby Great Horned Owl.  Does one need any more inspiration.

It took over a dozen shots and position changes so the branches didn’t interfere too much with its face.  Unfortunately, I was not so successful in having its brother/sister (which is behind it) in the image also.

Bobbie
      Participant

Wonderful framing of the face Paul. Unfortunately, he/she looks a lot less pleased with you than I am.

bucweeet
        Participant

Thank you Bobbie!… and it’s mother which was close by was even less happy with me.  I did get a shot of her, but she was heavily back lit so the images were not the greatest.

bucweeet
    Participant

And this last one was inspired by ‘organized chaos’…

A huge flock of Snow Geese were scared and all left at once. Due to the lens I had on at the time, this is less than 1/3 of the flock.

ElinL
      Participant

Wonderful series Paul !

Kent DuFault
      Participant

That is a wonderful image Paul! I love seeing nature photography in the abstract or semi-abstract!

bucweeet
        Participant

Thank you Kent!  It was pretty amazing to see that number of birds taking off at the same time.  I’m guessing this was about 1/3 of all the birds as I had a long lens on the camera and couldn’t capture them all.

Elysia
      Participant

I can really feel the “chaos” that you captured here, bucweeet. Fantastic!

Tersha
      Keymaster

All good Paul, but I find the Snow Geese fascinating, great shot!

P71
    Participant

Excellent stuff , all 3 stunning in my eyes.

Thanks for posting these.

Dave Watkins
    Participant

This one inspired by the volunteers at the Elkton Community Education Center in Elkton Oregon. Good people.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Beautiful pic of a beautiful subject Dave.

Dave Watkins
        Participant

Thanks Graham. We didn’t get as early a start as we wanted to so all my shots at Elkton’s Butterfly Pavilion were taken in harsh mid day sun. But we still had a good time on our short road trip.

ElinL
    Participant

Inspired by young people. I am so lucky to be surrounded by and be working with a lot of great young people and what a privilege that is. Image is of one of my sons bandmate taken at their new bands first concert recently.

It´s all about the bass

Bobbie
      Participant

Strong minimalistic portrait Elin! This inspires me to try something like it.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Very nice work Elin. The focus is immediate and I like the way you have included some space behind him to isolate him on stage rather than bring the audience area into play. Careful, you could be roped into a fulltime job as the band’s photographer 🙂

JasenkaG
      Keymaster

Amazing work, Elin! I love concert photography and I find this image truly well-done.

bucweeet
      Participant

Excellent image Elin!  So hard to capture decently in minimal lighting situations.  Well done!

ElinL
        Participant

Thank you Bobbie, Graham, Jasenka and Paul 🙂

Tersha
      Keymaster

Love this Elin!

Dorothy
    Participant

Inspired by David Chesterfield’s work with bubbles.  Totally first attempt and got a very “alien” vibe that was really fun to see.  have to work on getting one large bubble but liked what i got with several.  be sure to click on this and see the larger version, it is creepy alien. 🙂  i am afraid to think of what i will come up with after a few more attempts!Bubbles - 1st attempt

Tom M
      Participant

You’re right Dorothy, it is creepy. Reminded me of one of the Alien movies, where they discover all the Alien eggs/pods before they hatched…

Craig
      Participant

Yes, A very futuristic effect. I like it, and I like the elongated ratio too.. ;))

Graham Hart
      Participant

Love this shot Dorothy. Alien indeed! You have captured the exact hues from the movie franchise. That sort of strange blue-grey organic/metallic colour looming in and out of the dark unknown.

Elysia
      Participant

There’s a delicate eeriness about this photo, Dorothy. I can’t stop looking at it!

Andre P.
    Participant

(Colchicum autumnal). Inspired by the work of many others, and more specifically that of LeanneC.

Craig
    Participant

Inspired by many still life artists.

My painting, light painted with a small flash light.

The Painting

Tersha
      Keymaster

That works really well Craig, I like it!

Craig
        Participant

Thank you Tersha, I really appreciate your response. Nice to know I’m getting something right. ;))

Preston
      Participant

I love the simplicity of this Craig!!

Craig
        Participant

Thank you much Preston. Your comment encourages me. I really enjoy doing these light painted still life’s. ;))

Frogdaily
      Participant

Craig, I love this image! It is very captivating… you are a talented artist and photographer sir! Love the composition and the black background and the light painting is superb – well done!

Craig
        Participant

Wow, Frogdaily. Thank you for your complement. I don’t know how much of all that is true but I appreciate you saying it. ;))

Graham Hart
      Participant

Great pic Craig. Wonderful mood lighting accentuating the artwork and I’m assuming the tubes of paint colour used in creating it? It kind of says something about ‘what the artist sees’ to me.

Craig
        Participant

Thank you very much Graham. Yes, that is my standard setup for the paintings, acrylic on canvas in this case. Much appreciate your kind remark. ;))

Robert Apple

Tersha
    Keymaster

Inspired by clocks and radios, and to try something different …

Graham Hart
      Participant

Fun pic Diane. Nice cameo in the window too 🙂

ElinL
      Participant

It took me some time to realise that it were windows – love the effect of reflections in the one on the right side.

Preston
    Participant

This week I was inspired by the persistence of nature.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Lovely bright colour emerging there Preston. Persistence is a good way of looking at it.

Preston
        Participant

Thanks Graham.  I’m always amazed how plants grow in the most peculiar places.

Tersha
    Keymaster

Another shot with a Petzval lens …

sunlit apple blossom

bucweeet
      Participant

Very nice Diane!

ElinL
      Participant

Great effect – very beautiful !

Tersha
        Keymaster

Thanks Elin, I wasn’t sure if the effect was a bit too much?

Elysia
    Participant

Inspired by T. S. Eliot’s The Waste Land.

“If there were the sound of water only / Not the cicada / And dry grass singing / But sound of water over a rock / Where the hermit-thrush sings in the pine trees / Drip drop drip drop drop drop drop / But there is no water”

Tersha
      Keymaster

Beautiful colours Elysia!

Elysia
        Participant

Thank you, Tersha!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.