Weekend Photography Challenge #455 Harvest/Food

Latest Posts Photography Forums Weekend Photography Challenge Weekend Photography Challenge #455 Harvest/Food

Tagged: 

This topic contains 142 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  Kent DuFault 6 days, 14 hours ago.

• Author

Tersha
    Keymaster

For many of us it’s Harvest time, lots of photo opportunities …. fields, berries, produce in general.
    For others any food shots, or still life or macro.

47 Surprisingly Striking Photos of Wheat by Rob Wood(Admin)
    https://www.google.com/url?client=internal-uds-cse&cx=003720961867340091376:bpujkfgviau&q=https://www.lightstalking.com/wheat/&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiN_JWq_YTlAhWPnxQKHWnaCYAQFjAEegQIARAC&usg=AOvVaw1i21Qc36Kp0ezfm-P6lRE9

23 Stunning Still Life Photographs That Will Inspire by Angie
    https://www.google.com/url?client=internal-uds-cse&cx=003720961867340091376:bpujkfgviau&q=https://www.lightstalking.com/still-life-photographs/&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiD7NTE_YTlAhURmBQKHdQ8C4QQFjAHegQIAhAC&usg=AOvVaw3saohixM49MO6ZgDygVBFy

Make Your Macro Food Pictures Look Like a Slice of Heaven
    https://www.google.com/url?client=internal-uds-cse&cx=003720961867340091376:bpujkfgviau&q=https://www.lightstalking.com/make-your-macro-food-pictures-look-like-a-slice-of-heaven/&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwj4mpPZ_YTlAhW88uAKHeRIAMAQFjAIegQIARAC&usg=AOvVaw20KQnrgsgHLwuTle_7qTiU

13 Tutorials To Get Your Food Photography Cooking by Angie
    https://www.google.com/url?client=internal-uds-cse&cx=003720961867340091376:bpujkfgviau&q=https://www.lightstalking.com/food-photography-tutorials/&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjVvaLw_YTlAhXr6eAKHXwDD2UQFjABegQICBAC&usg=AOvVaw1WN_VXg0b1BuKf39ZzGwna

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  Tersha.

Click
    Participant

Hot Stuff (and Veggies)harvest

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  Click.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Fantastic. Fire fighters and hot peppers. A perfect combination.

JasenkaG
        Keymaster

Haha indeed 🙂  Such a lovely combination!

Bobbie
      Participant

And you got all of the primary colors Click. Thanks for pointing out the hot connection Dave.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Great spotting Click. Didn’t make the connection either till I read the others posts. Great awareness and a great pic!

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Apple picking time. (iPhone 6s)

Bobbie
      Participant

Beautiful color Rob!

Dave Watkins
      Participant

I agree with Bobbie. Beautiful colors here.  And blemish free apples. Every dormant season I tell myself that THIS year I’m going to follow a fungicide spray schedule. And I never do. Our apples always have some spots on them.

Bobbie
        Participant

And they probably taste great Dave. We don’t use anything on our lemon or clementine tree either.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Yum! They look so delicious and healthy. Looks like some pie baking and icecream on the horizon!

P71
    Participant

Thank you Tersha..

Old A3 Smartphone

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  P71.

Preston
      Participant

Those are some good looking potatoes P71.  The splash of green from the beans and broccoli is a nice touch.

P71
        Participant

Thank you Preston , bit of an old photo .. stuck at home with the last few days with flu.

Bobbie
          Participant

Hope you’re feeling better P71! Totally agree with Preston about the image, especially about the beans (but my go-to-feel-good food has to be chicken soup).

P71
            Participant

Thank you Bobbie , not feeling too bad today 😉

Graham Hart
      Participant

You too? I’m still not back to 100% after my flu three weeks ago. I couldn’t even summon the strength to post comments on LS. Hope you recover soon Pat. As a spud devotee myself this pic is particularly enjoyable. They look like some I bought just yesterday which were Kestrel potatoes with the spots of purple on the skin.

P71
        Participant

Thanks graham , i am feeling much better now 😉 .. these potatoes are just some from my sisters veg plot  , i made her 2 fairly big veg beds a couple of years ago and she has had all sorts growing since , if she is not growing stuff she is making Soaps that she sells.

Marcia J
    Participant

My “harvest” this year was disappointing until I started having a little fun!

Lonely Tomato

Marcia J
    Participant

Tomato with Dew Bokeh

Graham Hart
      Participant

Making the most of what you have though Marcia. Nice bokeh.

Gray B
    Participant

😄 Keep it up the fun Marcia.

Andre P.
    Participant

Almost ripe.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Love the colour and detail in this Andre.

Andre P.
    Participant

We’re going to take the harvest home.

P71
      Participant

Great thinking , love it.

Preston
      Participant

Haha, you might be a bit overweight on that tractor there Andre!  Love the concept.

Andre P.
        Participant

You are right. Fortunately, there was no police check!

Bobbie
      Participant

🙂

Graham Hart
      Participant

What a fun project this would have been. I would never have thought about using this angle if not for the toys. Great creativity Andre.

Andre P.
    Participant

Looking forward to tasting.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

I like this one a lot. Wonderful colors throughout. The image is a great representation of a fall harvest.

We had a giant 60 year old English walnut tree on the farm. Every other year provided an astounding amount of walnuts.

LeanneC
      Participant

Oh yum! Great fall harvest.

Bobbie
      Participant

I’m jealous. Not only is this a beautiful fall image, but your walnut shells actually have walnuts in them. We have a huge pecan tree but for several years, no pecans, only shells 🙁

JasenkaG
      Keymaster

You’ve captured all those beautiful autumn colors here, such a pleasant view 🙂

Pat Garrett
      Participant

I have nothing to add – surely would make a wonderful food advertisement, though.

Graham Hart
      Participant

You certainly got some great shots from these walnuts. This last one is a stunner and ticks all the boxes for a food shot. It has wonderful textures and colour and a mouth-watering appeal.

Dave Watkins
    Participant

Friends gave us a start of this Gezahnte tomato. It’s an heirloom paste tomato developed in Naples Italy.

LeanneC
      Participant

They look great, Dave!

Dave Watkins
        Participant

Thanks Leanne. Flavor was ok but nothing to write home about. Used them in spaghetti sauce and salsa.

Graham Hart
      Participant

I thought they were capsicums at first. Another thing I’ve never seen before! Pity about the taste but they certainly look appealing in your pic Dave.

PB170028

LeanneC
      Participant

Great looking bounty!

Graham Hart
      Participant

Great colour David. Looks like a typical Australian car-boot pop-up market. Fresh veggies, carpark location, beer can wheel stop 🙂

Preston
    Participant

I’ve eaten more cherry tomatoes this year than I can count.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

We usually grow two types every year. This last year was the old standbys Sweet 100 and Sun Gold.

Preston
        Participant

The Sun Golds are my favorite; such a sweet tomato and low acidity. I don’t have any pictures of them on the vine because I picked them too fast.

Dave Watkins
          Participant

A cultivar we love but could not find this year is Sun Sugar. Very similar to Sun Gold but maybe even a tad sweeter.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Two years ago I bought a demountable plastic greenhouse, soil & potting mix, cherry tomato seedlings, fertiliser etc…cost me about $250 in total to set up. They grew and grew until eventually baby green tomatoes started appearing. As soon as they started turning pinkish-red, I’d tell the wife I’m picking those tomorrow but when I’d go out the next day, they’d all be gone! Damn rats and/or Possums!
      I bought a plastic eagle to hover nearby and scare the rodents away…didn’t work. I bought boxes of camphor (napthalene mothballs) and crushed them and spread it around the plants when a mate told me he does this and it works wonderfully for him…didn’t work. I bought a plastic snake and put it between the plants….didn’t work.

In the end I harvested a grand total of about 12 tomatoes for the entire endeavour but man was I proud! I just buy them now 🙁

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  Graham Hart.

Graham Hart
    Participant

One from last year. Apologies for my absence recently but the Man-Flu really knocked me around for the past two weeks. Still recovering.

LeanneC
      Participant

Lovely looking berries, Graham.

P71
      Participant

Very nice Graham.

Get well soon mate.

Bobbie
      Participant

Love the berries, great sharp focus.

No apologies needed Graham. Just glad to know you’re on the way to well. Chicken soup for you too!

Pat Garrett
      Participant

I wouldn’t recommend eating these berries just yet, Graham! Do hope you are totally recovered soon.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thanks for the get well wishes everyone. I’m still dealing with the remnants of whatever alien demon flu spore attacked me. So much for the flu shot I had earlier this year! Hopefully I’ll be back to normal soon and I can get the camera back in action. Thanks again.

LeanneC
    Participant

I love filling my hod! Mobile image taken with my Samsung phone.

Harvest Time (mobile image)

LeanneC
    Participant

I love all of the different colours and varieties of tomatoes:

tomatoes

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Beautiful shot Leanne. Lovely light and color. They look delicious. We always look forward to our first home grown tomato every year. You just can’t match the flavor from one from the store.

LeanneC
        Participant

Agreed! And something about eating them when they are sun-warmed…mmmmmm!

LeanneC
    Participant

Carrots – all shapes, colours and sizes:

carrots

Bobbie
      Participant

Beautiful rainbow Leanne.

LeanneC
        Participant

Thanks Bobbie. I used to grow the heritage varieties just for the colours. But they seem to grow much quicker than some of my “orange” carrots so I love them for that now too. (But really, the colours are just cool!)

Pat Garrett
      Participant

Leanne, I am so hungry right now and these 2 posts look delicious. Think I’ll pick some of the other food posts, add some firemen and hot peppers and have a feast!

LeanneC
        Participant

Pat, I had to reread your post twice and I’m still puzzling over what the firemen are for! 😉

Pat Garrett
          Participant

Sorry,  Leanne, I was referring to the post by Click (first post) with the firemen and the hot peppers. My guess is they may have been shopping for items for a firehouse chili cook-off (common here) or something like that – and perhaps they’d share the results w me – I am not a “cook”.

LeanneC
            Participant

Now I get it! Chili cook-offs are not something we do here. My Dad was a firefighter for 29 years. He does know how to make a few very good dishes. They tend to be good cooks as they take turns making meals for their crew.

Graham Hart
      Participant

What a wonderful array of colours your garden must display Leanne. These pics are just so mouth-watering I can almost taste the delicious flavours.

LeanneC
        Participant

Thanks Graham! Just threw the last of the tomatoes, peppers, etc. into a salsa today, to can it. We’ll have carrots and potatoes for a bit but that is wrap for the garden this year!

Kent DuFault
    Participant

Breakfast on Jeju Island, South Korea.

LeanneC
      Participant

I am intrigued, Kent! I don’t think of broccoli as a breakfast food. And what are those things that look like bannock? I love trying different foods and when my husband and I travel we always order different dishes so we can share and taste more!

Kent DuFault
        Participant

I think they were some type of fruit tart.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Broccoli for breakfast, now there’s a thought. I love broccoli (not sure about pairing it with fruit tart though?). This pic certainly has a feeling of ‘the day’s adventures are about to start’. Hope they were great ones Kent!

Kent DuFault
        Participant

It was a wonderful vacation! Thanks for the comment.

Dave Watkins
    Participant

Our Brussels sprouts still need a few more weeks before they’re ready but they’re showing some fall colors just like the trees.  🙂 The water is morning dew that’s puddled up.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  Dave Watkins.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  Dave Watkins.

Preston
      Participant

For the longest time I though Brussels Sprouts grew like cabbage until I visited my neighbor’s garden.  I love the clarity and sharpness of the dew.

Dave Watkins
        Participant

I thought the color, texture and shape of the leaves were more interesting than the sprouts themselves. I also liked how the water beads off the leaves. Car wax companies should look into how they do it. But the more I looked at this shot the less I liked it. Tried to delete it yesterday but like a bad cold it just wouldn’t go away. I appreciate your comment though. 🙂

Graham Hart
      Participant

My favourite veggie! I like the pic Dave because of the colours in the leaves and the dew. I yearn for the BG veggies though 🙂

Bobbie
    Participant

“On the Chopping Block”

Pat Garrett
      Participant

Love the textures, color and lighting here, Bobbie. Boy! That looks like the start of something delicious!

Bobbie
        Participant

Thanks Pat. It was part of wonderful meal the men in the community prepared for the women. That happens in my home every day since I barely cook and my partner loves to but it’s rarer in some other homes 🙂

Pat Garrett
          Participant

Mine would be one of the “rare” homes.

LeanneC
      Participant

This is a tough thread to look at when hungry! Nice job, Bobbie.

Bobbie
        Participant

Thanks so much Leanne!

Preston
      Participant

Quite the literal title Bobbie!  This makes me want some grilled veggies

Bobbie
        Participant

Thanks for your comment Preston

Graham Hart
      Participant

Yum! Love the colour and the steel on wood textures. That chopping board has seen some action Bobbie.

I was reading about primary and secondary diagonals on Diane Wehr’s street photography website last night and this pic is a classic example of the secondary diagonal (bottom left to top right corner).

Bobbie
        Participant

Thanks for your comment and the info Graham. I don’t remember ever hearing those terms and I’ll look at the site you mentioned.

Tersha
    Keymaster

I bought this mini gourd for a still life, but haven’t had time yet …

mini gourd

LeanneC
      Participant

I love how the top of a gourd looks like a scrunched up face! This is a fun angle, Diane.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Suits the black BG perfectly Diane. These things are piled high in some supermarkets here at the moment so Halloween must be around the corner? Not a traditional celebration here but seems to be taking hold.

Pat Garrett
    Participant

Wild grapes are ripening – time to make a “Concord Grape Pie”

LeanneC
      Participant

A favourite of mine! Did you have a good season for them? A friend of mine had a bumper crop this year.

Bobbie
      Participant

Beautiful colors Pat. The lighting makes the grapes look like precious gems. Enjoy oyur pie!

Pat Garrett
        Participant

Thanks, Bobbie. Wish you could join me.

Bobbie
          Participant

Thanks Pat! Wish I could. I never tasted grape pie.

Preston
      Participant

Fantastic light Pat!  It looks like they’re partly full with liquid.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

I agree. The colors and light are wonderful. You’ve got me thinking about planting some grapes now. We had Concord, Flame and Himrod at the farm and we kind of miss ’em.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Beautiful fresh colour Pat. Never heard of Grape Pie before but going on my track record with eating grapes, reckon I could clear a room after eating a slice or two 🙂

Pat Garrett
    Participant

Corn is past prime and often recycled as Fall decorations.

Bobbie
      Participant

I love the tones and the composition Pat. It’s a perfect autumn image.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Bobbies right. Beautiful light as well. And the background is just soft enough to make the subject stand out but keep it in its environment.

Graham Hart
      Participant

I agree with exactly what Bobbie said. Lovely colours and texture. Aged cord still on the cob is not something I have ever seen. Never crossed my mind what happens to corn when it grows out.

LeanneC
    Participant

I take food shots a lot but rarely share them…they are mostly for documentation, for myself. But since I have them…here is another one! Our cobs are short, typically, but very tasty!

corn

Robert Apple

I really like this one Leanne, we used to grow a few 100 acres of corn when I was much younger. I love farming, though I don’t  do it anymore.

Robert Apple

Your Photo was recognized in the Members Picks Week of October 7 Forum  ⬅ Click Here

Kent DuFault
      Participant

That’s an awesome picture!

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Wow. Speaking of beautiful light. And great composition and color. The term “buttery yellow” fits here in more ways than one. Looks absolutely delicious.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Gorgeous pic Leanne and a wonderful example of a primary diagonal (been reading about them lately). Must be a great variety of corn because everyone I’ve ever seen has hundreds of hairy filaments between the kernels. I can see only one tiny stringy bit in your pic so did this cob go to make-up prior to the shoot or is it natural?

LeanneC
        Participant

Thanks.

It’s all in how you shuck it! 😉 No make-up required, Graham!

Robert Apple

Fungi

Graham Hart
      Participant

Interesting pic Robert. I like the burst of white from the darker wood. Not big on the camouflage side of things are they? Maybe its because they’re deadly to eat?

Bobbie
    Participant

“Friendly Competition”

Kent DuFault
      Participant

I like it!

Bobbie
        Participant

Thanks Kent 🙂

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Fun and colorful and fits the challenge to a T. Thumbs up.

Bobbie
        Participant

Thanks so much Dave!

Holly K
      Participant

I like the colors and composition.  Plus the smiles on their faces.

Bobbie
        Participant

Thanks for your comment Holly. I like it too …

P71
      Participant

Super shot Bobbie .. 2 Thumbs 😉

Bobbie
        Participant

Thanks so much P17! Do you have a nickname? P17 sounds so formal.

P71
          Participant

Yes of course bobbie , my name is Patrick 😉

Graham Hart
      Participant

I like it a lot too Bobbie. Colourful produce and colourful characters show a way of life envied by some. Looks like he’s jokingly threatening the competiton with a piece of cardboard!

Bobbie
        Participant

Thanks so much Graham. I thought someone might see the cardboard that way (I think it’s one of the price markers). In this market it’s possible that they’re even from the same extended family.

LeanneC
      Participant

Great moment captured, Bobbie! Nice job.

Bobbie
        Participant

Thanks Leanne. I’m definitely drawn more to people than produce.

P71
    Participant

Wild Elderberry

Robert Apple

Mushrom Pie.

Must be a SHITake.

Bobbie
      Participant

🙂 And how much elderberry wine did you have Robert???

Tersha
      Keymaster

🙂

Graham Hart
      Participant

Definitely won’t be eating that one 🙂

Charmaine Joubert
    Participant

A challenge which I found very challenging but I wanted to try something different. My take on a “Dewy Apple”.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Very nice low-key treatment Charmaine.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Agree with Diane, very nice image.

Tersha
    Keymaster

hi-key snowberries … I don’t know what eats these, birds probably …

snowberries on white

Graham Hart
      Participant

Lovely pic Diane. Never heard of these either. Wonder what they taste like (if edible)? Your pic made me think again about hi-key because I always automatically think of B&W but this pic works really well with the white fruit and minimal colour of the leaves and stalk.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by  Graham Hart.

Bobbie
      Participant

I love this image Diane. It looks like it’s a sophisticated minimalistic decoration on a white wedding cake.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.