Weekend Photography Challenge 7: Clouds

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat Weekend Photography Challenge 7: Clouds

Viewing 32 reply threads
  • Author

Get outside and look up! Let’s hope you have some this weekend!

This one is at the suggestion of @sunseeker (sorry @tomdinning – maybe yours next week. 😉

tom dinning
      Blocked

Untitled_Panorama2

and

_D303831

tom dinning
      Blocked

Untitled_Panorama2

and

_D303831

Richard Frost
      Participant

the 1st shot is immense tom!

i wish i had a car or transport other than my feet 🙁

Richard Frost
      Participant

the 1st shot is immense tom!

i wish i had a car or transport other than my feet 🙁

Nicola
      Participant

Hey these clouds are over my head NOW!

Yes, it’s the moon 🙂

But maybe you prefer oooooold clouds… so go look at my flickr album, it’s full of them.

Nicola
      Participant

Hey these clouds are over my head NOW!

Yes, it’s the moon 🙂

But maybe you prefer oooooold clouds… so go look at my flickr album, it’s full of them.

If only I could get my camera inside my head… it’s full of clouds. Probably none of them are pretty though, I’ve never seen them.

If only I could get my camera inside my head… it’s full of clouds. Probably none of them are pretty though, I’ve never seen them.

Yvonne
      Participant

@tomdinning – That first cloud shot would definately be tornado spawning material here. Your onlookers seem pretty intrigued, was there a twister?

Yvonne
      Participant

@tomdinning – That first cloud shot would definately be tornado spawning material here. Your onlookers seem pretty intrigued, was there a twister?

Ahem, @tomdinning
      #2 doesn’t qualify. Nicola won’t be happy !

Ahem, @tomdinning
      #2 doesn’t qualify. Nicola won’t be happy !

Yvonne
      Participant

We have a uniform grey cloud cover, rain and snow on and off all weekend, so no cloud photos for me either : (

Yvonne
      Participant

We have a uniform grey cloud cover, rain and snow on and off all weekend, so no cloud photos for me either : (

Unbelievable – We didn’t have a single bloody cloud all weekend!

I really hate perfect weather! lol

Unbelievable – We didn’t have a single bloody cloud all weekend!

I really hate perfect weather! lol

Apologies to @nicola – this wasn’t shot on the weekend – it was shot last Wednesday. 😉

Royal National Park - Bundeena

Apologies to @nicola – this wasn’t shot on the weekend – it was shot last Wednesday. 😉

Royal National Park - Bundeena

tom dinning
      Blocked

This is what happens when you work for yourself and weekends for everyone else is work time. Still, I get to miss out on the crowds.
      Although these photo’s are not about clouds they do make up a significant part of the overall design.
      I’m not big on sunsets. You’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all sort of thing. But on this occasion the cloud activity was pretty groovy. My choice of B&W is mainly to highlight the cloud textures and form. Colour tends to get in the way a bit, especially at sunset. All were shot at f22 with various shutter speeds from 3 to 30 s. The water was given an extra motion blur to soften it. This reduces its visual impact a bit and gives a bit of an etherial mood. There was also some poking and prodding with the dodge and burn tool and I might have even thrown in a gradient layer just for good measure. From a total of 240 shots, I’m OK with these.
      Incidentally, one passer-by questioned me on sequence shooting. I know my camera does it so I made up a pack of lies. He seemed to be satisfied but just in case he turns up again, can anyone tell me about it? I’ve not tried it myself.
      _D306533_4_5_6_7_tonemapped

_DSC7118

This is what it looks like in colour. MAke your own judgements.
      _DSC7118colour

And what’s a sunset without a green can?

_DSC7065

tom dinning
      Blocked

This is what happens when you work for yourself and weekends for everyone else is work time. Still, I get to miss out on the crowds.
      Although these photo’s are not about clouds they do make up a significant part of the overall design.
      I’m not big on sunsets. You’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all sort of thing. But on this occasion the cloud activity was pretty groovy. My choice of B&W is mainly to highlight the cloud textures and form. Colour tends to get in the way a bit, especially at sunset. All were shot at f22 with various shutter speeds from 3 to 30 s. The water was given an extra motion blur to soften it. This reduces its visual impact a bit and gives a bit of an etherial mood. There was also some poking and prodding with the dodge and burn tool and I might have even thrown in a gradient layer just for good measure. From a total of 240 shots, I’m OK with these.
      Incidentally, one passer-by questioned me on sequence shooting. I know my camera does it so I made up a pack of lies. He seemed to be satisfied but just in case he turns up again, can anyone tell me about it? I’ve not tried it myself.
      _D306533_4_5_6_7_tonemapped

_DSC7118

This is what it looks like in colour. MAke your own judgements.
      _DSC7118colour

And what’s a sunset without a green can?

_DSC7065

gone
      Participant

I’m sad to say that my flight times didn’t fit into the weekend but thought I’d share anyway.

Losing Altitude
      Losing Altitude

gone
      Participant

I’m sad to say that my flight times didn’t fit into the weekend but thought I’d share anyway.

Losing Altitude
      Losing Altitude

Grethel R. Ulang
      Participant

it’s mostly gloomy this past week, but here’s what i got last weekend during the blue hour.

BHClouds_HDR2

Grethel R. Ulang
      Participant

it’s mostly gloomy this past week, but here’s what i got last weekend during the blue hour.

BHClouds_HDR2

Grethel R. Ulang
      Participant

and these are some of the shots i did during my travels… just want to share. 🙂

before take-off

up in the air

window seat

Grethel R. Ulang
      Participant

and these are some of the shots i did during my travels… just want to share. 🙂

before take-off

up in the air

window seat

d_rec
      Participant

I know I’m late but would like to share this bit of cloud over the Gold Coast

d_rec
      Participant

I know I’m late but would like to share this bit of cloud over the Gold Coast

Damn, there is nothing like a south east Queensland storm. That rush of wind before you get smashed, the fresh smell, the torrent and then the cleanup. They are the biggest thing I miss about living there.

Damn, there is nothing like a south east Queensland storm. That rush of wind before you get smashed, the fresh smell, the torrent and then the cleanup. They are the biggest thing I miss about living there.

Christine
      Participant

Mystère

Christine
      Participant

Mystère

Viewing 32 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar